Is a brown suit appropriate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a brown suit appropriate?

Hey guys, I have a brown (milk chocolate color lol) suit which I had bought well before I came to dappered, and it fits like a box since I didn't have it taken in or anything...but I'm wondering if a suit this color is appropriate to use in the same way as a navy, charcoal, gray or even pinstripe suit is in a professional environment or anything:

Sorry my phone can't really capture the color, but it's like this shade of brown:

They're not as professional as navy or charcoal, but they're in the same neighborhood as light grey or patterned suits. I think the major reason they've fallen out of favor is just that personal tastes have changed and brown isn't a particularly exciting color.

Comment

Sure it is!

http://thetrad.blogspot.com/2011/11/brownie-points.html

That guy is a little over the top and lives in a sartorial fantasy land, but it is a cool article.

Comment

Love me some chocolate colored suits!

Comment

I too have a brown (pinstripe at that) suit from a few years ago....before I knew better.

I hardly ever wear it anymore, now that I've got more Navy and Charcoal suits to wear. For some reason, I feel like I look like a pimp (and not in a good way) when I'm wearing it.

Comment

I would give the suit away unless it's Armani, in which case you could sell it to someone who doesn't know any better.

Comment

would be neat, if I wore enough suits that it stood out. Not that dressy.

Comment

Appreciate your opinions guys, yeah I think I may give it to Goodwill or something since not worth spending money to get it tailored or anything

Comment

I to own a chocolate brown suit from Hart Schaffner Marx that is one of my favorite suits. I disagree that it isn't as professional as a navy or charcoal. It all depends on how u wear it. Most people have the suit wearing their body instead of their body wearing the suit. Just rock it if it fits properly, the chocolate brown suit will still look better than 98% of the rest of people wearing their blue suits.

Comment

@Pitt_10: Unless it fits THAT bad, keep it. It's already bought and paid for.

@Tat: I don't mean that a brown suit is somehow unprofessional. Simply that I think it would be out of place in a board room. Also, unlike navy and charcoal (which look good on pretty much everyone), I think brown does look better on some than others.

Comment

Most suits fit "like a box" before you have them altered. Why don't you take a few pics of it on and ask in the "How does this fit" thread?

Personally, I really want a chocolate brown slim fitting suit, but I don't have enough occasions for suiting up to rationalize owning one.

Comment

Tailoring should be used for a suit that's almost perfect and just needs a few touches to bring it over the edge.

A boxy suit will look less boxy after ton of tailoring. It will not look trim. Whereas a well-fitting OTR suit will look absolutely mint with a little tailoring. Pitt - if you think it looks boxy, just go with your gut and focus on other items instead of throwing good money after it.

I say this from personal experience. I bought a wool suit in a pinch at a Men's Wearhouse on short notice. It was the wrong size. I had it tailored after the fact. It still looked terrible. I regret everything about that suit up until I gave it away to Goodwill and considered it a donation. It would sell for $50? Maybe? The write-off is better.

Comment

When you wear a suit 5 days a week, theres only so many blue and grey suits you can wear. You then have to branch out to more odd colors or patterns to keep it fresh.

Comment

Big_scooter, I agree with nick. If your suit fits "like a box" OTR, it will still fit like a box after tailoring. Only now it will fit like a smaller box.

There's only so much a tailor can do without having to recut the entire suit, which would be a significant amount of money, and even then there's no guarantee it won't look like a Franken-suit.

Comment

Nicholas, that is why I said he should post pics. Maybe the suit fits him better than he thinks and it just needs taken in at the waist, or something.

Comment

Working...
                              X