No announcement yet.

Clothes with Stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It spoiled me too, now I don't know if I can go back to jeans and chinos without stretch!

On a different note though, how do you guys feel about business clothes, like suit jacket, pants, and dress shirts, etc., with stretch?

Comment

Suits with stretch doesn't seem to make much of a difference, ime. I have a suit that is mostly wool and part lycra (I think 2%?) and the only difference I would note is wrinkles fall out immediately. It's not like the trousers fit any different than normal.

Comment

H&M is a brand with amazing clothes collection which really cheap price....

Comment

Originally posted by labiyeur View Post
          H&M is a brand with amazing clothes collection which really cheap price....
          Is this spam or sarcasm?

Comment

I like my jeans traditional (and somewhat brutal. My last purchase was a pair of 18 oz raw) but my perfect chinos seem to be a slim or athletic fit with a little stretch.

Comment

I like a good stiff pair of jeans without stretch, but the last time I went to get a pair of jeans, most of the typical mall brands have shifted to almost entirely to adding some stretch (there are some exceptions, Levis still offers traditional, and I believe J. Crew does as well). I picked up a couple of pairs with stretch, and while I'm not a total convert, I will say they have their place. I've noticed the stretch pairs don't breathe as well, and I don't feel like they are as robust (I'd imagine they'll get holes rather quickly compared to others), but the drape when sitting is nice and the ease of movement is downright luxurious. If you're wrestling around on the floor with kids or a dog, they're perfect.

Now, they won't form to you over time like a glove, the way they look when you buy them is how they will look months from now, so take that into account when you try them on. So if you buy them a size down like you would a pair of traditional jeans, you're going to look like a scrawny Batman for the life of the jeans. But, if they cradle you just right, I see no reason to pass over a pair of pants with a touch of stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                i absolutely despise that most of the most consumable clothes, like jeans and chinos, that i've been buying are now only available in stretch versions now.

looking at you dockers, uniqlo

Last time i tried to buy pants, i found that i have been severely limited by the no-stretch preference. All my pants now are on the way out, and i have a few for backup in the rear of the closet, but i'll just have to hope that the stretch trend goes away before I have to buy pants in a year.

Truth be told, i immensely prefer all natural fibers, but i reserve the HATRED for these stretch clothes. They are gross and feel cheap. They don't breath well, wear out faster, and in the cases of twill, they don't fade and wash out at the edges in the right way.

if I wanted to buy tights and look like peterpan i'd go buy some lululemon workout pants or something else equally horrible.

It looks like we are in the minority. Unfortunately, I don't know if this trend is going to reverse any time soon.

Comment

holy 3 years ago batman

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                    holy 3 years ago batman
                    and yet the trend has only increased

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

and yet the trend has only increased
                      I'm here for it personally. I grabbed a couple pair of BR rapid movement heritage slim fit selvedge jeans and a pair of their Legacy jeans when they were on steep discount recently. Those Legacy jeans are made from a pretty burly fabric - heavier weight than most pairs I own though if you go for the 18 oz denim they probably will seem light weight. Compared to the pairs of 13-14 oz denim I have they are heavier. They have about 5% stretch - elastane and elasterall - plus some Lyocell/Tencel in the weave (it's a man made cellulosic fiber made from eucalyptus trees) and honestly. The selvedge ones are a similar mix of fabric with maybe even more stretch. And, honestly, they look no different to me than 100% cotton denim jeans, but my god are they comfortable.

I honestly think that as they break in and fade they will look no different than any other jeans of comparable quality, and I have other jeans but the comfort factor on these makes these the only pairs I want to wear. I also like the new heritage slim fit cut both the Legacy and Heritage Selvedge ones have...it's a mid rise - not super high but slightly higher than other pairs I own - and really more of a straight fit above the knee - not relaxed but not super slim through the hips and thighs either, but they have a nice tapered below the knee so the leg opening isn't huge.
                      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Here's a live look at me raising 3-year old topics from the dead:
                        https://giphy.com/gifs/ouijamovie-bo...xrjQ461HjbKNS8

Comment

Gustin and Spier and Mackey are holding on a little! I’ve almost completely given up on J.Crew now. I used to really like there special wash shirts but now they only come in mechanical stretch. Why would I need stretch in a shirt?? I get it for jeans and stuff, but I’ve never felt like my all cotton OCBDs are hard to move in at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Arête View Post
                            Gustin and Spier and Mackey are holding on a little! I’ve almost completely given up on J.Crew now. I used to really like there special wash shirts but now they only come in mechanical stretch. Why would I need stretch in a shirt?? I get it for jeans and stuff, but I’ve never felt like my all cotton OCBDs are hard to move in at all.
                            I got three Brooks Brothers shirts a few months ago - from their lowish Red Fleece line. All look really nice and feel fine. Then one day, I lay down in bed in one of them and almost fell asleep. And while laying there, realized the shirt was SUPER comfortable. Turns out it had stretch. I didn't realize that. The others don't - in fact I don't own any dress shirts/sports shirts (mainly Brooks, but some Lands End also) that do, and that's OK. But the one with stretch is better. It's so great.

Comment

Working...
                            X