Clothes with Stretch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clothes with Stretch

What are your thoughts on all the new stretch clothes that are coming out? I'm not talking about athletic gear like undear armour, but about stylish clothing that now has stretch. Seems like it started with pants and is now extending to shirts, blazers, and even suits.

I like buying clothes made of classic materials (e.g. Wool rather than polyester) but it seems like these new classics with stretch are pretty comfortable, despite their use of modern materials.

I really like jeans/chinos with a little stretch, and can hardly imagine going back to non-stretch for those items.

Everything else I wear is just cut to move better without needing to stretch so much (i.e. most dress trousers are a little higher-waisted and slightly more relaxed) and is generally worn in circumstances where I’m not needing to bust a move or whatever, so I have no interest in stretch garments outside of casual pants and dedicated athletic/outdoor wear.
    Ben

Comment

I used to think along the same lines as the OP. Cotton chinos and jeans ONLY. Then I wound up buying a pair of Jcrew chinos with stretch and holy cow, I ain't ever going back. They look and feel the same as all cotton, but man can I move in them. It's worth a try IMO. To date, all I own are stretch chinos, but I may break down and try a pair of jeans. I'm super particular about jeans, so it may take a while to try out some stretch denim.

Comment

I wear Banana Republic Traveler jeans in the dark blue. They are like "jeggings," but it isn't quite so obvious. I have yet to buy a pair new for $120 as they are frequently available used for $10–$15.

Comment

I think if clothes are too tight to fit with out elastic, they are too tight.

That said even modern fit shirts, and non jeggings pants can restrict movement. Extra fabric is how range of motion was added in the past, but now with the elimination of extra fabric, stretch is the only solution.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            I really like jeans/chinos with a little stretch, and can hardly imagine going back to non-stretch for those items.

Everything else I wear is just cut to move better without needing to stretch so much (i.e. most dress trousers are a little higher-waisted and slightly more relaxed) and is generally worn in circumstances where I’m not needing to bust a move or whatever, so I have no interest in stretch garments outside of casual pants and dedicated athletic/outdoor wear.
            I felt the same, but just got a suit with stretch (Brooks Brothers) - not for the stretch but it looked so nice at the price. I have yet to really wear it - haven't got to a tailor. We'll see.

Originally posted by ryn View Post
            Yeah! This guy could move OK https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzTwBQniLSc

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post

That said even modern fit shirts, and non jeggings pants can restrict movement. Extra fabric is how range of motion was added in the past, but now with the elimination of extra fabric, stretch is the only solution.
              it's not about fit. it's about ease of movement. even baggy pants can possibly not move comfortably

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Ditto. I don't have any non-athletic shirts with built in stretch, although knit shirts (t shirts, polos) generally naturally have some stretch. Not sure I really see the need for woven shirts with stretch but I do like a hint of stretch in my pants...I've been wearing DSTLD jeans, which have 2% spandex, pretty much exclusively for over a year. A month ago I threw on an old pair mostly used up pair for some grimy work I was doing around the house, and I could really notice the lack of stretch. Just that 2% makes pants a lot more comfortable and easy to move in.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                  it's not about fit. it's about ease of movement. even baggy pants can possibly not move comfortably
                  I think this is what I said. I was thinking about shirts as well. If you look at shirts from previous centuries, they were tents. Waistcoats and similar garments concealed this.

Comment

i absolutely despise that most of the most consumable clothes, like jeans and chinos, that i've been buying are now only available in stretch versions now.

looking at you dockers, uniqlo

Last time i tried to buy pants, i found that i have been severely limited by the no-stretch preference. All my pants now are on the way out, and i have a few for backup in the rear of the closet, but i'll just have to hope that the stretch trend goes away before I have to buy pants in a year.

Truth be told, i immensely prefer all natural fibers, but i reserve the HATRED for these stretch clothes. They are gross and feel cheap. They don't breath well, wear out faster, and in the cases of twill, they don't fade and wash out at the edges in the right way.

if I wanted to buy tights and look like peterpan i'd go buy some lululemon workout pants or something else equally horrible.
                    Last edited by evanparker; January 29, 2018, 04:12 PM.

Comment

I'm agreed with you on the stretch clothes (e.g. BR's traveller or rapid movement). I think the rapid movement jeans are okay, but I'm not a fan of the rapid movement chinos or traveler jeans.

I'm okay with stuff that's something like 98% cotton, 2% spandex/elastane (for example, I have a pair of J. Crew stretch chinos in olive that are 98/2, and they are great), but I don't like it when it gets to 90/10.

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                      i absolutely despise that most of the most consumable clothes, like jeans and chinos, that i've been buying are now only available in stretch versions now.

Last time i tried to buy pants, i found that i have been severely limited by the no-stretch preference. All my pants now are on the way out, and i have a few for backup in the rear of the closet, but i'll just have to hope that the stretch trend goes away before I have to buy pants in a year.

Truth be told, i immensely prefer all natural fibers, but i reserve the HATRED for these stretch clothes. They are gross and feel cheap. They don't breath well, wear out faster, and in the cases of twill, they don't fade and wash out at the edges in the right way.

if I wanted to buy tights and look like peterpan i'd go buy some lululemon workout pants or something else equally horrible.

Comment

I have a pair of traveler jeans that I'm not overly fond of. They feel weird to me, and they are already bagging at the knees after a year of limited wear. Granted, I have a 2 year old, so I've been crawling round on my knees a lot over the last 2 years. They feel really warm and dense so I've only worn them when it's cooler. I got them for maybe 35 bucks, so at that price point I think they have their place, but at full price, no way.

I ordered a pair of the rapid movement chinos 2 weeks ago on clearance for under 25 bucks, but I just got emailed with a cancellation this past weekend. Unfortunately I won't be trying these out until I can get them for around 30 bucks or less.

Comment

I'd never had jeans with any stretch before but I got some of the Calvin Klein slim straight jeans and holy cow they are comfortable.

I don't think I'll go back to non-stretch jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

+1 on all of this. I don't buy or wear anything that is tight. I'm thin and aim for a tailored/slim fit. I guess 've figured my fit out over the years, because I can manage to buy slim fitting trousers/pants/shirts that are not tight anywhere and generally don't need any tailoring. I don't dry any such items in the dryer.

Better to buy something that's a little loose, wash it, try it on, and then finally get it tailored. If it fits exactly off the rack it's bound to be a bit tight after washing.

Comment

Izod stretch button downs are fantastic. Maybe just because they give me one of the best OTR fits and because they wear cool in the Georgia heat. Not dressy shirts, but great sport shirts IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Working...
                              X