Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I salvage these leather shoes?

Hi,

I've been doing some spring cleaning and came across these old, cheapo shoes that I think would actually look halfway-decent if I were to swap in some colorful laces. Assuming I can somehow clean the leather back to a reasonable point, that is.

These are Aldo shoes that I believe I picked up in college, so they're not worth having fixed professionally. I've never had to clean up a pair of shoes this beat-up. Is it even worth trying? If so, do you have any recommendations? I just put in an order for Lexol cleaner and Leather Honey conditioner.

Thanks (images below)

<P>

<P>

chetsteadman, please don't take offense. Those are some of the ugliest shoes that I have ever seen. I would toss them.

Comment

None taken--they're hideous! I stashed them away seven-plus years ago and haven't worn them since for good reason. However, I figured I could use these as:

a) a trial run for restoring thrifted shoes

b) a test of whether brightly-colored shoelaces would divert attention from or attract attention to the actual shoes

Comment

You could always wear them bowling.

Comment

I don't think the shoelaces will help their case...

But good luck with the restoration. You're right. It could be a good learning experience for other shoes down the road. One thing in particular that I've found, is that lighter shoes like that, will darken up once you start using conditioner and cream polish.

These will be a good way for you to experiment with how the color is effected, so you know what to expect if you find a pair of light brown shoes while thrifting.

Comment

J.b. - do you have any tips on cleaning them up? Just follow instructions on the Lexol?

Comment

<blockquote>

b) a test of whether brightly-colored shoelaces would divert attention from or attract attention to the actual shoes
              </blockquote>

The shoe laces will always draw attention to your shoes. No one will look at the laces once their eyes are looking downward.

It sounds like you only have leather cleaner and leather conditioner at your disposal, but no polish or cream. That'll only take you so far so don't expect too much. The polish/cream adds color and shine which helps make shoes look newer and "nicer".

The instructions for the Lexol Cleaner are pretty straightforward. You'll find that you might have to spray your cloth with a couple of sprays because it soaks up the cleaner. But spray on a cloth and rub on the leather to work up a lather. I'm not sure how much lather is supposed to be worked up--I got a very thin layer that would disappear quickly. I would spray and then rub. Spray more and rub elsewhere, etc. etc. I'm not talking soap showering lather here. Then wipe down--I can't remember if it's a dry wipe or a damp cloth.

Let the shoes dry and then apply the conditioner. I choose to drip the conditioner a few drops at a time around each part of the shoe, rubbing it in with my hand as I go, as you would do with lotion. Using a cloth just soaks up too much conditioner I think. And it really feels like you're working it into the leather--soak it up baby!

Let it dry overnight and if they're really dried out, go ahead and apply another coat of conditioner and then you should be good to go. Do a final buff with a horsehair brush if you've got one.

At this point, that's when I would apply cream or polish.

But honestly, if you shine these up to look good, people will look at them, and they really aren't a good looking pair of shoes. I understand the feeling--you resurrect something from your closet and want to see if you can get some usefulness out of it. But sometimes you just have to let things go

Practice on a pair of shoes that you'll enjoy wearing. It's not rocket science and once you do it a couple of times, you'll get the hang of it.

Comment

I used my old shoes as testers for some new creams and polish I bought to see how they did for scuffs, water repellant etc. where you probably wouldn't want to on your good shoes

Comment

Working...
                X