Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddington
    replied
    I agree with [MENTION=14764]dpark[/MENTION] on this: casual shirts tucked in do not look any nicer.

If it's a casual, soft wash shirt, it looks fine untucked. If it's a dress shirt, it doesn't. I think the line between casual shirt and dress shirt is pretty defined, but I'm sure others disagree. Even websites like J Crew and BR separate the shirts out this way. Tucking in a casual shirt is like tucking in a t-shirt to me; it seems pointless. If I was trying to dress nice enough to tuck my shirt in, I would be wearing a nicer shirt.

I dislike untucked shirts with blazers. I also dislike casual shirts with blazers. If you're taking the extra step to wear a blazer, wear a tucked in dress shirt to complete the look.

Leave a comment:

• proteus
    replied
    1. Turtlenecks --> too hot and no option to remove the neck part
    2. Ascot --> douche bag
    3. Man bag/purse --> doesn't need a comment, I rather wear a fanny pack
    4. Birkenstock --> just never thought it was that stylish

Leave a comment:

• Raakish
    replied
    Turtlenecks--sweaters or shirts. Quite trendy now. They look good on some guys, but not on me.

And they feel very confining. I don't like material almost all the way up to my chin unless I'm outside in very cold weather and wearing a scarf or high collar on my coat.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    Originally posted by dpark View Post
    Sorry, which one is the untucked casual shirt in this scenario? If you're wearing your shirt untucked because you prefer the style, it seems analogous to wearing the tie loose on purpose. Regardless of whether you're wearing a shirt that looks flattering this way.
    Yes, that is what I mean. Tie loose on purpose is like shirt untucked for style preference. I can get down with both of those things. I like to think I can spot the difference, but I probably can't.

Leave a comment:

• dpark
    replied
    Originally posted by ianr View Post
    I think it is like wearing a tie loose on purpose versus wearing a tie loose because it's 5:01 pm.
    Sorry, which one is the untucked casual shirt in this scenario? If you're wearing your shirt untucked because you prefer the style, it seems analogous to wearing the tie loose on purpose. Regardless of whether you're wearing a shirt that looks flattering this way.

Leave a comment:

• ianr
    replied
    The best OTR shirts I've found for untucking-optional wear are Ledbury shortened-body casual shirts. I fully embrace that look. They are supposed to be wrinkled and they are supposed to look "relaxed"; it is the whole point.

I have a difficult time with regular dress shirts with jeans untucked like Tim Cook. However, I've never heard anyone say Tim Cook is stylish.

I think it is like wearing a tie loose on purpose versus wearing a tie loose because it's 5:01 pm.

Leave a comment:

• dpark
    replied
    Originally posted by koltrane View Post
    If you're talking Wal-Mart specials
    Bonobos, Banana Republic, and J. Crew all have pretty short tails on at least their casual shirts. They come untucked pretty easily if you're actually wearing the appropriate size.

I wear my shirts untucked most of the time because 1) I don't care, and 2) casual shirts tucked in don't really look nicer. If you're wearing a french cuff, spread collar in crisp white pique cotton, yeah, it probably doesn't look great untucked. If you're wearing a plaid flannel button-up with jeans, it probably doesn't look any better tucked in.

Leave a comment:

• koltrane
    replied
    Originally posted by paintflinger View Post
    Can you really blame them? Most shirts nowadays can barely be tucked in they're so damn short.
    If you're talking Wal-Mart specials, then maybe so, but it doesn't take a lot of effort to look nice. You can find shirts and pants that fit (truth be told, it's the pants these guys are wearing that makes tucking in their shirts a chore).

And UNTUCKit shirts? I can't stand those! It on par with guys who "dress up" in their Columbia PFG Boneheads and Dockers.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied
    Don’t hate it but I think it’s overally suggested because it doesn’t work for a lot of guys ... shawl cardigans, especially chunky ones. Most guys don’t need more material around their waist area and upper body and the shawl offers no practicality besides extra material around the neck. I’ve seen people pull them off very well online but more often around dc they really date the wearer or I don’t think look very good. Every time I’ve tried one in the store I just get a mental image of my grandfather. I know they are recommended in many articles but when friends ask me what to wear to improve their look, I never suggest a shawl cardigan.

Leave a comment:

• paintflinger
    replied
    Originally posted by koltrane View Post
    Monkstraps. I'm just not a fan and never have been. I know there are a lot of fashionable people who wear them, so I'm not disputing that they are an acceptable shoe style, but I just do not like them personally. I prefer laces or loafers .

Untucked shirts. No, it's not stylish. It looks lazy, and it seems to be preferred by those who have a prodigious gut. It's an unkempt look to me.

Costa del Mars. The fast fashion of sunglasses. Bonus DB points for parking them on the brim of your ball cap. For the same price you can get some Persols or a pair of Clubmasters and have a classic look, rather than resembling a fat guy at the WSOP.
    Can you really blame them? Most shirts nowadays can barely be tucked in they're so damn short.

Leave a comment:

• koltrane
    replied
    Monkstraps. I'm just not a fan and never have been. I know there are a lot of fashionable people who wear them, so I'm not disputing that they are an acceptable shoe style, but I just do not like them personally. I prefer laces or loafers .

Untucked shirts. No, it's not stylish. It looks lazy, and it seems to be preferred by those who have a prodigious gut. It's an unkempt look to me.

Costa del Mars. The fast fashion of sunglasses. Bonus DB points for parking them on the brim of your ball cap. For the same price you can get some Persols or a pair of Clubmasters and have a classic look, rather than resembling a fat guy at the WSOP.

Leave a comment:

• sdjackofclubs
    replied
    Five panel hats.

Anything Rick Owens-inspired.

Bicycle toe shoes.

Leave a comment:

• mackguy
    replied
    Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
    Can you recommend any good IPAs? (Sorry...had to! )
    Lagunitus Maximus; Only because Maximus is my confirmation saint's name, and my younger son's name, so it's cool having a beer named after me (and it's pretty good)
    I prefer Smithwick's and Guiness though.

Leave a comment:

• Vic
    replied
    Originally posted by ryn View Post
    I think that novelty or unusualness of a trend helps its appeal. Once the novelty wears off, a trend often loses all its appeal to me. I think also that, some items work as an expression of individualism, but not even as a proper trend. Especially, style choices that potentially look affected.
    Interesting. How long does it normally take for a trend to lose its novelty for you? I'm normally aloof when it comes to such things and instead deal with a warped sense of practicality, a nostalgia for certain brands, and take styling cues from field archaeologists on a certain British television show.

-Vic

Leave a comment:

• MIS997
    replied
    Originally posted by mackguy View Post
    So much hat hate! I actually ended up here via originally starting out in the Fedora Lounge..
    However, I'll say the Wal-Mart/H&M type fedoras are awful.. a properly sized beaver fur felt Stetson, etc is wonderful. I have a ~50 year old Stetson fedora that's nearly a dead ringer for "Indiana Jones" though that's not really what I intended when I bought it, and it's great in the cold (no it doesn't cover my ears, but it does retain heat on the top of my head and help with wind chill) and also great in rain etc.

I also have a full-ish beard

Oh well.
    Can you recommend any good IPAs? (Sorry...had to! )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X