"Stylish" looks or clothes that you hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
    i do boat shoes and cuffed chinos like all summer i had no idea you guys were so anti! :-D
    i do as well. boat shoes and superga's with some ankle all summer long!

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
      Hats are practical, that's why people always used to wear them. Tell me, how do you protect your head?
      I don't dispute the practicality of hats. But the thread is not about 'practical looks or clothes that you hate'.
      I'd wear a beanie if it's really cold out but none of the early- to mid- century hat styles that I mentioned in my post even covers your ears so you can't even argue for them in terms of practicality.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
        I'd wear a beanie if it's really cold out but none of the early- to mid- century hat styles that I mentioned in my post even covers your ears so you can't even argue for them in terms of practicality.
        Actually most of the hats you mentioned provide some ear protection from the sun. Particularly Panama hats. That’s what they’re for.

I wear a flat cap (actually an 8 panel cap, so even more kitchy) in the winter. It’s warm. I don’t want a hat covering my ears unless it’s terribly cold. I find it uncomfortable, but I find the hat I wear keeps me warmer and keeps the sun and (more commonly) rain out of my eyes.

I find my hat quite practical. Do you also feel that beanies aren’t practical because they don’t cover your nose?

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
          i do boat shoes and cuffed chinos like all summer i had no idea you guys were so anti! :-D
          It's definitely a New England/coastal thing. I'm not afraid to admit that on casual summer days my boat shoes are what I reach for most.

On the topic of summer and footwear. Anytime I see someone walking around town in flip flops and they aren't going to, or coming from, the beach I die a little on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
            I don't dispute the practicality of hats. But the thread is not about 'practical looks or clothes that you hate'.
            A beanie is too warm for the summer. As has been said before, hats protect one's head from the sun. It is said that the car killed the hat, and now that I have no car, I believe it. I spend a lot of time walking, and need a good hat in the summer.

Obviously, a homburg would be too much most of the time, a lot of the straw trilbys are quite post-modern, and if trendy can hardly be called mid century.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              Tan/walnut shoes with dark suits or trousers.
              What? You don't like tan leather or suede shoes with navy or charcoal pants?

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin Polyester III View Post
                It can be too much contrast. Personally I don't like tan colored shoes with charcoal pants, but am mostly okay with tan and navy. That being said I recognize that it's high contrast and "fashion forward" and understand why a lot of people don't like it.
                Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I always enjoy reading these threads to see how many times the style conscious disapprove of my look. So far we have the three Bs covered. Beats, Bears, Battlestar Gallactica...errr, I mean Beards, Boat shoes, and Business mullets (some others too, but they don't fit the motif).

For me one thing I still haven't gotten on board with is Chelsea boots. It's probably only a matter of time. The slip off/on concept is appealing, and I actually find myself actually reading the stuff Joe posts on them now. I just still haven't quite come to terms with the look. Granted, I didn't used to care for longwings either, and a pair of AE MacNeils showed up to my door yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin Polyester III View Post
                    Originally posted by Token View Post
                    It can be too much contrast. Personally I don't like tan colored shoes with charcoal pants, but am mostly okay with tan and navy. That being said I recognize that it's high contrast and "fashion forward" and understand why a lot of people don't like it.
                    My issue with light shoes/dark pants is twofold: First, a dark suit or other jacket and tie outfit with dark trousers is generally going to be fairly formal/conservative and lighter shoes will be a formality mismatch. A dark suit will generally call for equally conservative shoes in black, brown, or burgundy.

Second, if the suit/outfit is not particularly formal - let's say, for example, a navy linen suit - then light shoes are still generally going to create an unbalanced, incongruous-looking outfit because they create an overly strong visual contrast between the suit and the shoes.

The only circumstance where I think a lighter shoe could really go successfully with a darker trouser would be if there were also a lighter jacket on top to tie into the lightness of the shoes and help balance the amount of contrast throughout the outfit. For example, walnut shoes, navy linen trousers, an off-white linen jacket, and a dark tie to carry the light/dark contrast throughout the whole outfit. That is a look that would lean a bit on the peacocky side but could be successfully done if the wearer had the conviction to pull it off.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post
                      I always enjoy reading these threads to see how many times the style conscious disapprove of my look. So far we have the three Bs covered. Beats, Bears, Battlestar Gallactica...errr, I mean Beards, Boat shoes, and Business mullets (some others too, but they don't fit the motif).

For me one thing I still haven't gotten on board with is Chelsea boots. It's probably only a matter of time. The slip off/on concept is appealing, and I actually find myself actually reading the stuff Joe posts on them now. I just still haven't quite come to terms with the look. Granted, I didn't used to care for longwings either, and a pair of AE MacNeils showed up to my door yesterday.
                      I am in the same boat on longwings. It has taken a long while but I sort of like them now. I don't own a pair but would consider some in the future. I have had Chealsea's since 2012 and love them though I worry I may rip of the nylon strap every time.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        My issue with light shoes/dark pants is twofold: First, a dark suit or other jacket and tie outfit with dark trousers is generally going to be fairly formal/conservative and lighter shoes will be a formality mismatch. A dark suit will generally call for equally conservative shoes in black, brown, or burgundy.

Second, if the suit/outfit is not particularly formal - let's say, for example, a navy linen suit - then light shoes are still generally going to create an unbalanced, incongruous-looking outfit because they create an overly strong visual contrast between the suit and the shoes.

The only circumstance where I think a lighter shoe could really go successfully with a darker trouser would be if there were also a lighter jacket on top to tie into the lightness of the shoes and help balance the amount of contrast throughout the outfit. For example, walnut shoes, navy linen trousers, an off-white linen jacket, and a dark tie to carry the light/dark contrast throughout the whole outfit. That is a look that would lean a bit on the peacocky side but could be successfully done if the wearer had the conviction to pull it off.
                        I can see your point in regards to formal wear and suits. I don't own any suits and I mostly think in terms of a relaxed business casual environment I work in, chinos, button downs, and sweaters. In my case I pretty much always prefer the contrast of lighter shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Deke View Post

I'm with you on both points. No matter how hard I try, I can't get on board with Chelsea boots. But there are a lot of things in this thread I don't agree with. To each their own I guess.

Comment

Puffer jackets with dress clothes.

🤮🤮🤮

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There was this trend (at least online, I didn't ever see it in real life) of wearing a certain type of hiking boot with a suit. I can't for the life of my find a photo right now. I think it looked absolutely terrible.

Maybe it's kind of "elitist" but I tend to find certain trends off-putting when they start to get adoped en-masse. The tan shoes with navy suits is one (the only thing worse is tan shoes with a charcoal suit...ok maybe tan with black is the pinacle of bad taste). Perhaps not the worst look ever, but I find that most guys are wearing the cheapest looking tan shoes ever, and the lighter the colour of shoe the most obvious it is that they are cheap.

Another trend a lot of guys seemed to jump on was tie bars. Mostly unnessary and it doesn't give you "instant style", although I feel like some guys think it does.

When slim-fitting everything started becoming more mainstream, I saw a glut of these cheap looking skinny ties in plaid patterns that were clearly cotton (or polyester). Something about the size of the ties made them seem even cheaper.

Contrast button holes on shirts or jackets. Horrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
                                Another trend a lot of guys seemed to jump on was tie bars. Mostly unnessary and it doesn't give you "instant style", although I feel like some guys think it does.
                                I rarely wear tie bars, but they are a fix for a problem I have. I'm 6'4" with a long torso, so ties are rarely long enough to tuck into the loop in the back. I've had trouble finding tall ties of decent quality. The Tie Bar makes long ties, but I've found most of their stuff to be too low quality for me to feel comfortable with. I won't wear tie bars to court for the same reason I don't wear French cuffs or showy watches -- it gives a bad image to the jury, especially in my line of work where we defend major corporations being sued for some pretty bad things. But for times like my engagement pictures, where we were moving around a lot and I couldn't constantly fix my tie, I've pulled out the ole trusty tie bar to keep the tie in place and the slim back half from peaking out. I'll also wear it to the occasional wedding where accessories are much more welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X