No announcement yet.

"Stylish" looks or clothes that you hate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to limit this to things I actually see worn out in the wild by otherwise fashionable people:

1) Tights on men (without any other pants over it) - dear god no. Unless they're shorts and you're biking. But even then...

2) Overly tapered pants. I have some thanks to my girlfriend. Not that we need overly baggy, bellbottom-esque bootcuts, but the super tapered look doesn't look good on many.

3) All bright white sneakers. Someone mentioned this above. Don't think it looks particularly good, nor do I think there's any reason to spend $300+ on the blandest thing imaginable.

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
      Hats.

Top hats, fedoras, panama hats, homburgs, bowlers, triblys, flat caps. It's a clear sign of someone trying to hard and most of the time look costume-y. No amount of hashtag-menswear resurgence will bring these hats back. Just stop.
      Hats are practical, that's why people always used to wear them. Tell me, how do you protect your head?

Comment

While I agree some hats can look ridiculous, sun damage is a real thing:

http://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/...b096ed3adc3ba2

I wear flat caps whenever I'm out, and a straw trilby for the beach/resort.

Comment

1. Cardigans

I think they don’t look good 90% of the time. Some people can pull them off and they look great, but most of the time they don’t fit right or just seem too feminine. Plus, it screams “hipster.”

2. Converse

Unless you are under 18, I think they just make you look childish. Plus, I think Purcell’s even look more cheesy.

Comment

If you don’t wear a hat outside when it’s really cold or really sunny or really wet, you are a dummy.
            Ben

Comment

To those mentioning hats, I have a full on Stetson cowboy hat that I will wear when it is raining out. My wife hates it, and I am not so naive as to think I'm actually pulling it off, but I do wear it on the rare occasion I'm outside in the rain. It is incredibly practical. A little more forgivable in Texas than most places (especially since I only wear it with cowboy boots), but I know people still look at me weird in the city. This is especially true on the few occasions I've worn it in public when it's not raining just to tease my wife.

Comment

The really funky tie knot style that some people still do. Cool your tie looks like a dragon or something ... why??
                http://www.neatorama.com/2013/02/25/...The-Cape-Knot/

As for hats I tend to agree. If it’s cold a knit hat makes sense but I don’t wear one to work. Messes up my hair. I really don’t wear baseball caps anymore primarily because I dislike snap backs and flat brims.

If it’s sunny I have sunglasses on.

Most people I see wearing fedoras are covering up their lack of hair. It looks costumey

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
                  and a straw trilby for the beach/resort.
                  In California or Hawaii, I regard the straw trilby as "scam me, I'm a tourist" wear. But, I visited the eastern US a couple of years ago and it seemed that people wore those everywhere. I felt like I should buy one so that I could look less like a tourist.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                    The really funky tie knot style that some people still do. Cool your tie looks like a dragon or something ... why??
                    http://www.neatorama.com/2013/02/25/...The-Cape-Knot/

As for hats I tend to agree. If it’s cold a knit hat makes sense but I don’t wear one to work. Messes up my hair. I really don’t wear baseball caps anymore primarily because I dislike snap backs and flat brims.

Most people I see wearing fedoras are covering up their lack of hair. It looks costumey
                    Or maybe they don't want their scalp to get sunburned?

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                      Yes if it’s sunny. I know several that wear them year round in any weather or sunny condition.

Comment

i do boat shoes and cuffed chinos like all summer i had no idea you guys were so anti! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
                          Co-signed.

Also, I don’t mind the suit/blazer with no tie look, but if you’re going to do it, I better not see your undershirt.
                          This is my biggest peeve. Taking a sleek look of going tie-less with a suit and then throwing all of that cool away when you show a white Hanes underneath... it just ruins it. Utterly and completely ruins it.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                            i do boat shoes and cuffed chinos like all summer i had no idea you guys were so anti! :-D
                            You're coastal NE according to your location...boat shoes and cuffed chinos seem appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
                              Originally posted by ryn View Post
                              Even with sunglasses, a hat still helps protect your eyes on really bright days. Sunglasses only block light from right in front of you, not from above or the sides.

My dad now wears a full brimmed hat religiously in the summer, after his eye doctor told him his vision has been damaged from being out unprotected in the sun frequently as a kid and young adult. I wear a full brimmed hat in summer as well if I'm going to be outside for more than a few minutes at a time. I'd rather look a bit dorky now than deal with totally preventable health consequences later down the road.
                              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                                This is my biggest peeve. Taking a sleek look of going tie-less with a suit and then throwing all of that cool away when you show a white Hanes underneath... it just ruins it. Utterly and completely ruins it.
                                I'm with you on this. I don't know how many times I've told colleagues about V-Neck undershirts, but they just don't listen.

Also, while I'm okay with no undershirt, when hairy men (like me) do the look for business with shirts that you can see through--oh no, not a fan.
                                WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
                                X