What shirt to wear with a grey suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What shirt to wear with a grey suit?

So I'm going to this wedding in a few weeks and I'm kind of stuck on what shirt to wear. I've got a grey suit and I'm going with a red tie and brown shoes. I originally was thinking of a tattersall shirt but I can't find any that are reasonably priced that aren't button downs. Please help! I really don't want to go with a white shirt.

light blue, french blue.

Comment

I know this isn't particularly out of the box, but what about a plain white dress shirt?

Comment

I don't know. It's not like I'm looking to go all crazy with the design but I'd like something a little more interesting. If I can't find anything that piques my interest I'll drop back to a white shirt. I just thought I'd see if you style wizards had any other interesting ideas.

Comment

If you have a solid tie (esp. knit) or a large-striped tie, you could definitely go with gingham. One of my favorite combos is a black and white gingham shirt with a navy/maroon striped wool tie.

Comment

There's always the pocket square - adds some color and visual interest without being in your face. I also like gingham with a grey suit, either blue or purple (though I feel like that combination is a bit more casual, I probably wouldn't do it if it's a more "formal" wedding, i.e. in the evening at an upscale venue).

Comment

If its a darker grey suit, this would also be a good choice

http://www.indochino.com/product/the...ove-gray-shirt

Comment

I'd say it really depends on the shade of gray. Light blue is certainly a safe bet. Also, is it a solid or patterned tie?

Comment

If you can select a different colored tie, I'm going to go ahead and say a shade of Fuchsia..

Darker Gray/ Charcoal = lighter shade of Fuchsia and vice versa

thoughts?

Comment

Okay in order:

1. I actually thought about a gingham shirt, and I'm still kind of liking that idea.

2. I'm not a huge fan of pocket squares so I doubt I'll go that direction - I kind like my pop of color to be on a sock. And I don't think I would be offending anyone if I 'dressed down' with a gingham shirt. I'm guessing it's one of those weddings where perfect suits and frumpy polos with khakis will intermingle. I doubt I'd be too shocked to see a pair of jeans floating around.

3. It's a lighter gray suit.

4. Solid tie. I'm kind of set on the tie. Or maybe not. I'm not sure.

5. I like that but I don't know if I'm there yet as far as spending money on a fuchsia shirt. I kind of like fuscia shades that have more purple in them, too. But it's not like I've got a closet full of shirts and I'm searching for something a little more adventurous. Maybe some day.

Okay so even though I've been thinking about this for a while, after posting this earlier today I've been able to think about it a little better. Initially I was just going to say I'm going with a nice white shirt but this gingham thing has really got me thinking of going in that direction. Thanks for your help.

Comment

You could always try a few things on and see what feels right.

Comment

A gingham shirt in blue / purple / pink should go well with a light gray suit IMO.

Comment

Okay so you guys have any ideas where I could find a nice gingham shirt? For the most part I'm finding a bunch of button downs or really expensive shirts.

Comment

I think Joe talked about one in one of his recent posts. I recently ordered the pink gingham from Charles Tyrwhitt but won't get it until june end and I don't think it's material is meant to go with a tie (it's pretty casual and on the thinner side if it's the same as the other casual CT shirts).

You might land the Ratio gingham shirt for about 64$ after using their facebook coupon but I am not sure what the turn around time generally is on Ratio shirts.

Comment

I found one by Tommy Hilfiger at Macy's for around $40. Otherwise, J Crew is an (overpriced) option.

Comment

Working...
                              X