Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Year Of No Shopping

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    The Year Of No Shopping

    Saw this in the NYT, and I can definitely relate...I’m going to give it a go in 2018. Hopefully I’ll save up some money, reevaluate what I need, and maybe make some awesome purchases in 2019.

    https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/12/1....html?referer=

    #2
    Thought-provoking article and idea. Thanks. I'll give this some real consideration.

    If I give it a go, I might start off more modestly, say 1/3 of the year, or max. of 1-2 items per month. A full 12 months cold turkey is intimidating.

    Comment


      #3
      I'm at the point where I've really narrowed down my ideal wardrobe and just have to get a few items to complete it, so 2018 for me is gonna be wardrobe completion year (finally), then I'm done with shopping (aside from the occasional replacement). Too much stuff and clutter sometimes irritate me, but I wanna be stylish too, so having my wardrobe list really helps. After this I'm moving on to increasing my savings and investments.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Raakish View Post
        Thought-provoking article and idea. Thanks. I'll give this some real consideration.

        If I give it a go, I might start off more modestly, say 1/3 of the year, or max. of 1-2 items per month. A full 12 months cold turkey is intimidating.
        A year is hard to do. I do the monthly or quarterly goals. I am in this boat myself because I piled up credit card debt I didnt want and am going to halt spending for 3 months completely plus route whatever merit increase I get straight to cards. I will evaluate again at the end of 3 months to see if I paid it down enough to meet my goal. I am sure I will see some encouraging progress and keep going. I have done this before and it has worked well. If I far surpass the goal I might treat myself to a small expenditure but nothing that exceeds 20% of my overage. Say my goal was to reduce the balance by $1,000. If I reduced it by $1,500 then I might allow myself to spend $100 on myself (20% of the extra $500). Last time i did this I got so encouraged I just skipped the treat.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by idvsego View Post
          A year is hard to do. I do the monthly or quarterly goals. I am in this boat myself because I piled up credit card debt I didnt want and am going to halt spending for 3 months completely plus route whatever merit increase I get straight to cards. I will evaluate again at the end of 3 months to see if I paid it down enough to meet my goal. I am sure I will see some encouraging progress and keep going. I have done this before and it has worked well. If I far surpass the goal I might treat myself to a small expenditure but nothing that exceeds 20% of my overage. Say my goal was to reduce the balance by $1,000. If I reduced it by $1,500 then I might allow myself to spend $100 on myself (20% of the extra $500). Last time i did this I got so encouraged I just skipped the treat.
          I used to set little goals with my student loans and when the time came to splurge, I would usually just splurge by paying off more.

          I am having another son in 2018 so it will be the year of budgeting. I pre-ordered a Spier & Mackay sport coat but the rest of the year will be a delicate balance as child care is expensive. My relief purchases will probably be new under shirts or something which I greatly appreciate and will satisfy other purchasing behaviors.

          Comment


            #6
            This part of the article is so true:

            The trick of no shopping isn’t just that you don’t buy things. You don’t shop. That means no trawling the sale section of the J. Crew website in idle moments. It means the catalogs go into the recycle bin unopened on the theory that if I don’t see it, I don’t want it.


            I've been doing this basically for the past year or so (as it applies to clothes). Not because of any goal but just because I thought I had too many clothes and wanted to cut down on the spending. I think I may have spent $60 at JCrew during a recent sale but besides that I haven't randomly searched a site for sales. That's what seems to get you in trouble. You click on one of Joes articles on the front page and see the deals. Then you start browsing and find something that 'is too good to pass up at that price'.

            I now tell myself I will only shop the MrPorter sales and watches. In the year I've been doing it, I haven't missed shopping at all. I still have plenty of clothes and shoes - probably still way more than any person needs. It's helped cut down on my spending tremendously and freed up time I'd normally spend sifting through sales online. Now if I could only give u my affinity for watches and constantly wanting to try so many different ones . . .

            Comment


              #7
              Interesting idea... I might give it a go this year but probably divide the year into quarters where I will treat myself to something at the end of the quarter.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                This part of the article is so true:

                The trick of no shopping isn’t just that you don’t buy things. You don’t shop. That means no trawling the sale section of the J. Crew website in idle moments. It means the catalogs go into the recycle bin unopened on the theory that if I don’t see it, I don’t want it.


                I've been doing this basically for the past year or so (as it applies to clothes). Not because of any goal but just because I thought I had too many clothes and wanted to cut down on the spending. I think I may have spent $60 at JCrew during a recent sale but besides that I haven't randomly searched a site for sales. That's what seems to get you in trouble. You click on one of Joes articles on the front page and see the deals. Then you start browsing and find something that 'is too good to pass up at that price'.

                I now tell myself I will only shop the MrPorter sales and watches. In the year I've been doing it, I haven't missed shopping at all. I still have plenty of clothes and shoes - probably still way more than any person needs. It's helped cut down on my spending tremendously and freed up time I'd normally spend sifting through sales online. Now if I could only give u my affinity for watches and constantly wanting to try so many different ones . . .
                yeah, I spend a lot more money when I have watchrecon app on my phone. Hard to be tempted when you dont see the things.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I had alerts set for r/frugalmalefashion which got me a bunch of really good deals this season, but now that I've gotten what I wanted and shouldn't do any more spending I just turn it off and avoid browsing. That helps a lot.

                  Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                    yeah, I spend a lot more money when I have watchrecon app on my phone. Hard to be tempted when you dont see the things.
                    After I stopped going to WUS forums daily, cut out a few shops I frequented to see their used stock, etc., my watch purchase frequency (and my overall want for watches) went down drastically. I still really enjoy watches, but I'm not in a constant state of yearning for a new one anymore. Which is nice, since I have other stuff where that money should go this year and next.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                      After I stopped going to WUS forums daily, cut out a few shops I frequented to see their used stock, etc., my watch purchase frequency (and my overall want for watches) went down drastically. I still really enjoy watches, but I'm not in a constant state of yearning for a new one anymore. Which is nice, since I have other stuff where that money should go this year and next.
                      My problem is since I no longer visit a lot of the fashion blogs and sites, I now read all the watch blogs and sites.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I could benefit from this tremendously but:
                        1. I have been eyeing a pair of Carminas for the past 3 months (first pair ever) so...
                        2. My work horse Navy sports coat (Suitsupply Hanava) is starting to show some wear and may need to be replaced

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I might go "halfway" and purchase from only Goodwill/ Salvation Army once a month......for the entire year.

                          I can do this.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I’m in the same boat as many of you...my closet is full of clothes. I’m at a point where I don’t “need” a thing. I’m going to cut out the browsing my favorite stores’ websites and likely avoid the mall all together.

                            I’ll probably stop visiting Dappered, Primer, etc, although I do like that they provide value in helping me come up with new ways to wear the clothes I already have. I’ve used Pinterest for this purpose with success, too, but I’m worried I’ll get the urge to buy something.

                            One thing that cracked me up was the poster above who mentioned “completing” his wardrobe. My wardrobe is certainly “complete,” but I always seem to find some beautiful blazer that was originally $700 marked down to $200 that will look great the one time a month that I wear it. Or I’ll find a pair of pants that fit amazing and I’ll buy them in 4 colors. I tell myself that I “need” a nice navy or charcoal suit, but I wear a suit twice a year. It’s time for me to break the cycle!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I really like this idea. My wardrobe is complete, including selling off extras. However, I will likely have to buy some items next year to replace those that wear out.

                              If I can only replace those items (likely 2-3 dress shirts and 2 pairs of pants) in 2018, I'll be very happy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X