Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I make french cuffs fit with coat sleeves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make french cuffs fit with coat sleeves?

Seriously - am I missing something? Every time I wear a french cuffed shirt with a suit, the bulk of the cuffed sleeve and cuff wears very awkwardly. The proper amount of sleeve to show when wearing a coat seems to be in the 1/4" to 1/2" range, but that puts the cuff link just inside the suit sleeve adding to a very messy/bulky look at the end of the sleeve. Are my french cuffs too big? Are my coat sleeves too small? The whole set-up just seems awkward.

Usually the jacket sleeve should hit your wrist bone, with a bit a of shirt cuff visible. At least that is the starting point most tailors will go with until you add in personal preference.

Comment

Pictures?

Comment

I have some french cuffs that wear better than others - either because the jacket cuff is roomy enough or the shirt cuff is smaller I guess. If you have working cuffs, opening a button may be a little affected, but it can work. Wearing the french cuff "over/under" (one side button under the other instead of both buttoned out) like a regular button cuff might move enough material out of the way to work with your jacket?

Comment

In general, modern fit jackets don't go well with french cuffs because, yes, the sleeves are just too slim.

Comment

Working...
          X