tuxedo bow tie preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tuxedo bow tie preference

Hi everyone -- I just ordered a new tuxedo from Oliver Wicks for my wedding. (Side note -- highly, highly recommended.) I have a regular butterfly bowtie from an older tux, and I also ordered a new diamond tip bow tie from TheTieBar for myself.

I've also offered to provide bow ties for my groomsmen. Perhaps I am overthinking this, but now I'd like to explore even just wearing a slim bow tie. I've researched tons of articles on this and it seems to boil down to preference/face shape, but I thought I'd tap the hive mind for thoughts. Anyone have a strong preference between diamond tip/slim/regular black satin bow ties for tuxedos?

I’m not an authority but as far as I know it’s a matter of preference. I would avoid a really small/slim bow tie unless the style of your tux seems to invite it - shorter jacket, narrow lapels, skinny trousers with no break, etc. If your tux style is more classic then stick to a classic size of bow tie.
    Ben

Comment

A really slim bowtie looks strange. Go for a classic size. Butterfly or diamond tip is up to you: I am not a very bowtie type myself but the ones I have are butterfly type.

Comment

I'd generally pair with the size of lapel, cut of suit, etc. plus any preference as to your face shape or more generally. I'm a generally broader guy and don't do skinny suits/ties/etc. so I trend toward a minimum 'classic' size/style tie, but could size up for slightly bigger without it looking costumey. Thin/skinny on me would probably look strange.

Comment

Would love to hear more about your experience with Oliver Wicks if you're open to sharing.

Just started exploring options for a wedding tux for myself so an words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

To your original question - agree with [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] , bow tie should be proportional to shirt collar / suit cut and lapel width.

Comment

I don't think it matters too much, it is relative to your face, but most people's faces are not that much different in size.

Is a slim bow tie from the tie bar just a batwing? Personally, I would go with the butterfly, and look at somewhere else besides the tie bar.

Also, be sure to match the fabric of the tie with your tux lapels.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
              I would avoid a really small/slim bow tie unless the style of your tux seems to invite it - shorter jacket, narrow lapels, skinny trousers with no break, etc.
              x2. I'd keep it simple and traditional.

Comment

Originally posted by Winters View Post
                Would love to hear more about your experience with Oliver Wicks if you're open to sharing.

Just started exploring options for a wedding tux for myself so an words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

To your original question - agree with [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] , bow tie should be proportional to shirt collar / suit cut and lapel width.
                Thanks, everyone. I think I'll be sticking with the diamond-tip that I have. It's helpful to hash it out and get people's opinions.

My experience with Oliver Wicks was wonderful. They're the first made-to-measure company I've worked with but the process was smooth. My fiance helped measure me according to instructional videos on their website. There were some fun custom features like side tabs, special lining, engraved name on the inside of the jacket. I was researching other MTM companies (IndoChino, SuitSupply, BlackLapel) and Oliver Wicks was the lowest cost. (This was solely a cursory review and not a deep analysis. There may be features/seasonal specials that would change the comparison but for me at the time it seemed like the best value.) The other benefit of Oliver Wicks is that they cover over $100 of additional tailoring costs in case you need something adjusted at your local tailor. They give you a form for the tailor to complete.

The tux itself felt really really nice. I'm by no means an expert on suits/tuxes but this one felt luxurious and well-fitted. I'm going straight-up classic with my tux -- one button, peak lapels, no vents, black. I think the only "flair" I added was navy paisley inner lining, which no one really notices but gives it a sense of individuality.

Comment

Originally posted by MW858617 View Post
                  I was researching other MTM companies (IndoChino, SuitSupply, BlackLapel) and Oliver Wicks was the lowest cost.

I think the only "flair" I added was navy paisley inner lining, which no one really notices but gives it a sense of individuality.
                  For future readers, I recently confirmed with Indochino that they'll no longer offer Bemberg jacket linings. Now it's only polyester, though they still offer half linings.

Bad enough before that the trouser lining was poly, now it's top and bottom. Given how warm black tie occasions inevitably seem to be, a breathable lining would be a priority for me in a tuxedo.
                  Last edited by Galcobar; December 15, 2017, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MW858617 View Post
                    My experience with Oliver Wicks was wonderful. They're the first made-to-measure company I've worked with but the process was smooth. My fiance helped measure me according to instructional videos on their website. There were some fun custom features like side tabs, special lining, engraved name on the inside of the jacket. I was researching other MTM companies (IndoChino, SuitSupply, BlackLapel) and Oliver Wicks was the lowest cost. (This was solely a cursory review and not a deep analysis. There may be features/seasonal specials that would change the comparison but for me at the time it seemed like the best value.) The other benefit of Oliver Wicks is that they cover over $100 of additional tailoring costs in case you need something adjusted at your local tailor. They give you a form for the tailor to complete.

The tux itself felt really really nice. I'm by no means an expert on suits/tuxes but this one felt luxurious and well-fitted. I'm going straight-up classic with my tux -- one button, peak lapels, no vents, black. I think the only "flair" I added was navy paisley inner lining, which no one really notices but gives it a sense of individuality.
                    Thanks for the detailed review! I started with the same companies, would've pulled the trigger on the SuSu black tie configurator but they aren't currently offering peak lapels on the midnight blue.

Planning to make an appointment at the indochino location in NYC as it's right by my client's office so we'll see how that turns out but good to know Oliver Wicks was a favorable experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                      For future readers, I recently confirmed with Indochino that they'll no longer offer Bemberg jacket linings. Now it's only polyester, though they still offer half linings.

Bad enough before that the trouser lining was poly, now it's top and bottom. Given how warm black tie occasions inevitably seem to be, a breathable lining would be a priority for me in a tuxedo.
                      Good to know, this has me leaning more in the direction of the other options listed above.

Comment

Working...
                      X