Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under 12 oz (non Gustin) denim?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Under 12 oz (non Gustin) denim?

    Looking for suggestions for summer weight jeans.

    Its still up to 80* here this week so I wanted to start looking for a new pair of dark wash before my current pair kicks the bucket.

    My levi shrink to fit (501?) Are just too warm for 3 of our "seasons"

    Gustin's fit isn't great for me. Also I miss having usable pockets.

    The stretch/travel recommendations on the main site don't list their weights.

    What do you all like?



    Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

    #2
    Even if lightweight, denim doesn't breathe well. Look for other fabrics for high temps

    Comment


      #3
      I'm backing these right now https://www.weargustin.com/store/6243. I got my first pair of Gustin selvedge last month and they are awesome (the Cone Mills 1968). I've been wearing them almost every day to break them in and they've been pretty comfortable considering they're raw (but sanforized) denim.

      This new one is a 6oz denim, and it would feel great in the summer/warmer days. Their sizing tip for this one says to size down, but the actual measurements appear to be the same as the thicker ones I recently got, so I went with my normal size. Might be that the thinner denim breaks in and stretches more.

      Also, they've got a lot of denim in stock right now (probably from returns) so if they've got your size, you can get them right away. They've got a few sub 12oz ones in there.
      Last edited by Nandyn; December 13, 2017, 11:29 AM.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Dun View Post
        Gustin's fit isn't great for me. Also I miss having usable pockets.
        I have a pair of feather lights from Gustin and they’re awesome. Gustin does have three fits....

        Also, can you explain what you mean be not having useable pockets? I have three pair of gustin jeans and each of them has functional pockets....
        Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
        Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
        --Jason Isbell

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BillN View Post
          I have a pair of feather lights from Gustin and they’re awesome. Gustin does have three fits....

          Also, can you explain what you mean be not having useable pockets? I have three pair of gustin jeans and each of them has functional pockets....
          They "have" pockets but a lot of us find it hard to use the front pockets. I think they are cut high and tight. I am an EDC guy and have a hard time carrying a knife, flashlight and whatever else I smash into pockets.
          Using Tapatalk

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by BillN View Post
            I have a pair of feather lights from Gustin and they’re awesome. Gustin does have three fits....

            Also, can you explain what you mean be not having useable pockets? I have three pair of gustin jeans and each of them has functional pockets....
            The pockets are indeed pretty tight as [MENTION=11461]wpaulkelley[/MENTION] mentions. However, I can still fit my phone in case in the front and my wallet in the back. The tight back pockets are nice cuz it keeps the wallet secure. The front pockets are tight enough that you're gonna be scratching and scraping your knuckles every time you reach in until it's broken in and soft. This is for the skinny fit, by the way. Probably won't be as big an issue with he other fits. It doesn't really bother me, though.
            Last edited by Nandyn; December 13, 2017, 11:57 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by wpaulkelley View Post
              They "have" pockets but a lot of us find it hard to use the front pockets. I think they are cut high and tight. I am an EDC guy and have a hard time carrying a knife, flashlight and whatever else I smash into pockets.
              Huh. I carry my wallet in the back right pocket, iphone in case in left front, opinel no. 8 folding knife plus house, car and office keys in the front right with no issues. YMMV I guess.
              Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
              Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
              --Jason Isbell

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                I'm backing these right now https://www.weargustin.com/store/6243. I got my first pair of Gustin selvedge last month and they are awesome (the Cone Mills 1968). I've been wearing them almost every day to break them in and they've been pretty comfortable considering they're raw (but sanforized) denim.

                This new one is a 6oz denim, and it would feel great in the summer/warmer days. Their sizing tip for this one says to size down, but the actual measurements appear to be the same as the thicker ones I recently got, so I went with my normal size. Might be that the thinner denim breaks in and stretches more.

                Also, they've got a lot of denim in stock right now (probably from returns) so if they've got your size, you can get them right away. They've got a few sub 12oz ones in there.
                I backed these the last time. I have worn them in 90 degree Houston heat. You won’t be disappointed.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
                  I backed these the last time. I have worn them in 90 degree Houston heat. You won’t be disappointed.
                  Awesome. Did you follow their sizing tip and size down for a fitted look or go with regular fit for relaxed?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
                    Awesome. Did you follow their sizing tip and size down for a fitted look or go with regular fit for relaxed?
                    Went with regular sizing. I don’t need anything too” fitted” in my old age.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I’m currently breaking in some 17 oz straight fits, and their pockets are knuckle scrapers too. I’m guessing that this won’t be a problem once they soften up. In terms of actual pocket capacity (past the stiff/tight opening), they seem like normal jeans.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by doomx View Post
                        Even if lightweight, denim doesn't breathe well. Look for other fabrics for high temps
                        I think I'm set for light weight other pants for +95*, which is why I want to focus on denim options.

                        Yeah guys, I have gustin straight fit. Those front pockets are so hard to squeeze my fat hands into. Not much of a problem when the weather allows jackets with pockets for 4 months. The problem is the rest of the year. Our building's key fob is huge, too big to sit on while in a back pocket. It sucks when it sinks to the bottom of a front pocket.

                        (I actually made my own wallet cause of the front pockets of the gustin jeans. I put a card slot on the outside for my most used plastic, which allows me to slip the card in and out without taking the entire wallet out of the pocket.)

                        My shrink to fit raw denim Levis have much more usable pocket designs, but they are too heavy.

                        For the shrinking to fit raw jeans, I always over stuff the pocket openings so those parts don't shrink while I wear them dry. Doesn't help with the pattern cut of the gustin.


                        Are non of the BR, uniqlo etc options light weight?
                        Last edited by Dun; December 13, 2017, 02:49 PM.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Bonobos is pretty lightweight, their summerweights are 10 oz and standard are 10.5 oz iirc. You can message customer service for an exact count. Perfect for year round in cali (maybe not dead of summer).

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                            Bonobos is pretty lightweight, their summerweights are 10 oz and standard are 10.5 oz iirc. You can message customer service for an exact count. Perfect for year round in cali (maybe not dead of summer).
                            Ooh nordstrom carries bonobos right? I should be able to try them without worrying about returns. Thanks!

                            Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Dun View Post
                              Ooh nordstrom carries bonobos right? I should be able to try them without worrying about returns. Thanks!

                              Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
                              they do but i've never seen bonobos denim in store, only chinos/dress pants. a quick look online and I still can't find jeans on the nordstrom website.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X