Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just getting into mens fashion....trying to find my "style". I'm wasting money. Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read : Esquire the Handbook of Style : A Man's Guide to Looking Good (2009, Hardcover) on and off over the years...typically each fall when I'm thinking about my own style more. I'm in Seattle and we get all four seasons here, but especially mild winters with hardly any snow. Rain I can deal with.

One of the most memorable lines in this book :

"A guy looks better in a suit than anything else in his wardrobe. Just ask the nearest female. "

I have about a typical off-the-rack size large body shape for most clothes out there. Believe me : I know exactly how lucky I am in this regard.

Whats kind of maddening is- none of these manufacturers talk to each other about size. 'Old Navy' large is a 'Bonobos' super huge xtra xtra large.
    I gave up on some stores altogether because they carry extremely short lived fashion pieces. ZARA and H&M have about a 5 min shelf life.
    Every suit I found at ZARA was a polyester something that was extremely cheaply made. Zero %% wool. Kept on looking.

Some people would shy away from SuitSupply but I have had some great luck with them.

Really like Topman kiosk at my local Nordstrom. Really like Bonobos. Dropped quite a few dollars at Banana Republic.

Even in the same store- a Grant fit shirt size L at Banana Republic fits way better than a Camden regular fit size L.

I'm 46 and at this point in my life I'm more relaxed than I was in my 20's.
    I can wear a black turtleneck and nobody is going to think I'm suddenly French.
    I'm also at this level of wanting to look good and be very comfortable - without looking sloppy - without giving a damn about what others might think.

I would say that there is no rush. Slow it down. Take your time. Think about adding just one key piece to the wardrobe a month.
    Maybe wait two months for the $$ for a really nice piece.

What's also something strange that I didn't expect to happen was the comments I would get from coworkers and people in public.
    The first couple comments were " Job interview? Or... court date ? " "Your'e looking sharp...what happened?" Har. Everybodys a comedian.

But I also noticed women in the office would pause a bit longer to check me out. Not a bad thing!

Like I say though - slow down a bit - and think about one piece in an overall larger wardrobe. Avoid cheap stuff.
    Maybe revisit some pieces that you think wouldn't work a few years ago.
    5' 11" 181 lbs. Size 40 jacket, size 11 shoes.
    Dad, billionaire, playboy, gear head, drummer, philanthropist.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      I had a JCF peacoat which was nice but I found the wind would cut right through it when I visited NYC. So I gave it to a family member and bought a thicker one from LLBean that is made by SterlingWear (who supposedly used to make ones for the military.. It is much thicker/warmer and not as slim fitting . . . and unfortunately I never get a chance to wear it in Houston. This makes me believe that the Army surplus ones will be thicker but not cut to be slimming/tapered since they are not designed for fashion.
      So with Joe posting notice of a 25% off sale at LLB today, I am now seriously considering picking up on of their peacoats. Trouble is I never wore the one from BR. So I'm apprehensive about purchasing another one. Mind you, you gents have been posting images of yourselves in peacoats and all this talk is starting to sway me over to thinking it would be a good idea to pick one up. Oh, to spend or not to spend. That is the question. And so close to Christmas too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bixmeister View Post
        Most important, how was the date?
        Beautiful, classy and super fun as usual. My style still needs work. I also need to find a good process for putting sweaters on over button downs. I feel like the old cartoons where there is a fight scene where a cloud of dust with arms and feet randomly visible. Omg what a hassle. Sleeves all bunched up, neck all wonky. It took me 15 minutes to straighten my sweater out.

Yes....I know.

Comment

Just wanted to post a rebuttal to some of the guys saying that it’s difficult to pair black chinos well in a business casual environment. I wear black chinos at work fairly often, and think they can work very well with other neutral colors (gray, white) and a pair of interesting black shoes (shined up leather Chelseas, derbies, penny loafers). As example, see what I wore today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The above outfit looks fine with black chinos.

The main reason to avoid black chinos is with certain combinations, the natural accessories are a serving tray and glasses of water.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Ok, first time putting myself out there.

Lubiam 1911 navy sport coat
              Gant "Sleeveless in Seattle"
              Bonobos avocado chino
              AE Dalton
              JC light blue dress shirt

Put together with your help on this thread. (not sure if i should roll pants, vest too dressy...) Thank you for any tips/ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by utopify View Post
                Gant "Sleeveless in Seattle"
                I'm thrown off by the bottom vest button being buttoned.

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
                  I'm thrown off by the bottom vest button being buttoned.
                  I'm honestly not sure if you're ribbing me....or if having the bottom vest button, buttoned is a no-go.

Comment

I'm honestly not sure if you're ribbing me....or if having the bottom vest button, buttoned is a no-go.
                    Typically people don't button the bottom vest button, but regardless you put together a nice looking outfit.
                    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Lesson learned and bottom button unbuttoned, and thank you for the complement!

Comment

Most vests and jackets (and even cardigans) are cut to drape better with the bottom button unbuttoned. A custom which supposedly dates back to King Edward VII of England, who was overweight and left the bottom button of his jacket unbuttoned for comfort but was quickly imitated by others.
                        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Most vests and jackets (and even cardigans) are cut to drape better with the bottom button unbuttoned. A custom which supposedly dates back to King Edward VII of England, who was overweight and left the bottom button of his jacket unbuttoned for comfort but was quickly imitated by others.
                          Ok I get it. I can play along, but if you are fit (and I'm not saying I'm a gym rat) it looks like you simply missed a button....especially on this vest.

Thanks for the information!

Comment

Ok I get it. I can play along, but if you are fit (and I'm not saying I'm a gym rat) it looks like you simply missed a button....especially on this vest.

Thanks for the information!
                            To you it looks that way. Some people might say that about the bottom button on a suit jacket, which I think all of us (or close to it) would agree that buttoning that looks pretty bad. It's all based on convention.

Comment

I'm not certain exactly when the bottom button open thing began. I've heard "Edward VI" and "Beau Brummell," but have never seen any source. The early 1900s as the initial period can be supported with evidence, though. A Dry Goods Reporter from 1903 talks briefly about longer vests with the bottom button open being "merely a fad."

https://books.google.com/books?id=8Z...page&q&f=false

By 1914, the button thing was definitely the way waistcoat designs were. By this point, the roll lapels on a waistcoat were predicted to be "a fad rather than a fashion." The roll thing ended up being correct as we can see from the current rarity of the roll lapel design in waistcoats.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Ox...AnC0wQ6AEIKTAB

In any case, waistcoats like this are designed to have the bottom button unfastened. I have read it advised that "lapel bulge" can occur when this button is buttoned.

Comment

Hey man!

I know what it feels like to not know what style you might suit but the best advice I can give is perhaps finding cool clothes online/men's inspiration and see what the other actors wear and then just mimic it. So if you happen to see George Clooney wearing a cool blazer then perhaps find one in a cheap shop near you or even a trendy shop like ASOS, H&M, etc.

http://www.asos.com
                                http://www2.hm.com/en_gb/index.html

There are also some shopping sites where they store different brands such as Azire!
                                https://www.azire.com

Good luck mate!

Comment

Working...
                                X