Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just getting into mens fashion....trying to find my "style". I'm wasting money. Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit up lookastic for inspiration.

Got a pea coat you want to wear? Google lookastic pea coat. https://lookastic.com/men/navy-pea-coat/looks

Olive chinos? Google lookastic olive chinos. https://lookastic.com/men/olive-chinos/looks

You get the drift.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Anyone ever purchase/pick up their peacoat from the army surplus?
      Yes. They are really, really warm.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

All of this talk about peacoats made me wear mine today. I wore mine with a sweatshirt and jeans. As I said earlier, a peacoat goes with almost anything. It's one of the most versatile coats you could own IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[MENTION=14805]ianr[/MENTION] [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION]

Damn you guys! I had a BR peacoat that I found I never wore. So I ended up giving the jacket after a couple of years to the Sally Ann. Never really missed the jacket and never really thought about it. Now you guys are out here, posting our pics and talk of peacoats and it has me thinking I could stand to take another look at them.

Anyone ever purchase/pick up their peacoat from the army surplus? I know Joe recommends checking them out from time to time. I only ask because I wasn't too impressed with the quality of my BR peacoat - which might explain why I hardly wore the thing.

(apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread)
          I have the one I was issued and still wear it from time to time. It's heavyweight, boxy-cut, and warm. If the weather is good, I might wear it tomorrow.

-Vic
          Last edited by Vic; December 8, 2017, 10:54 PM. Reason: Too many stills.
          "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

[MENTION=14805]ianr[/MENTION] [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION]

Damn you guys! I had a BR peacoat that I found I never wore. So I ended up giving the jacket after a couple of years to the Sally Ann. Never really missed the jacket and never really thought about it. Now you guys are out here, posting our pics and talk of peacoats and it has me thinking I could stand to take another look at them.

Anyone ever purchase/pick up their peacoat from the army surplus? I know Joe recommends checking them out from time to time. I only ask because I wasn't too impressed with the quality of my BR peacoat - which might explain why I hardly wore the thing.

(apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread)
            None of the Army/Navy surplus stores around here actually carry any government surplus. They're all essentially Carhartt stores now.

Comment

https://books.google.com/books?id=_v...;brien&f=false

This is the book that got me started. Worth a read. It goes well beyond style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I wore last night. Forgive me for my horrible image editing skills. It worked but.....I really struggled with the pants, the "roll" didn't look natural. I looked like I was trying to mimic a lookbook (I indeed was). But the pant leg (compared to lookbooks) was way to wide? If that's the correct term. It was boot cut maybe....and needed to be slim. When I rolled it, it just didn't work. So I got frustrated and just unrolled them (about 3" too long) but whatever....I tried.
                Last edited by utopify; December 9, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Good morning....thanks for the links, much appreciated by this newbie!

Originally posted by teetide View Post
                  Hit up lookastic for inspiration.

Got a pea coat you want to wear? Google lookastic pea coat. https://lookastic.com/men/navy-pea-coat/looks

Olive chinos? Google lookastic olive chinos. https://lookastic.com/men/olive-chinos/looks

You get the drift.

Comment

You indeed unraveled the issue in your post....boot cut doesn't look good rolled. Not knowing your build/size, it's easier to rolled slim-fit pants/shirts without creating a baggy look

Originally posted by utopify View Post
                    What I wore last night. Forgive me for my horrible image editing skills. It worked but.....I really struggled with the pants, the "roll" didn't look natural. I looked like I was trying to mimic a lookbook (I indeed was). But the pant leg (compared to lookbooks) was way to wide? If that's the correct term. It was boot cut maybe....and needed to be slim. When I rolled it, it just didn't work. So I got frustrated and just unrolled them (about 3" too long) but whatever....I tried.

Comment

Take the pants to a tailor. They'll charge you $10-$12 to shorten them. That way you don't need to worry about a roll again. In the future I'd avoid buying boot cut. I usually go with straight due to my body type.

Your peacoat is charcoal so that's another part of your problem. You need to get away from black and move more toward blues and brown. Overall a charcoal peacoat won't be as versatile as a navy blue one.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                        Take the pants to a tailor. They'll charge you $10-$12 to shorten them. That way you don't need to worry about a roll again. In the future I'd avoid buying boot cut. I usually go with straight due to my body type.

Your peacoat is charcoal so that's another part of your problem. You need to get away from black and move more toward blues and brown. Overall a charcoal peacoat won't be as versatile as a navy blue one.
                        I see what you mean. The peacoat is actually a heather green (hard to see on that photo).

Comment

Originally posted by utopify View Post
                          I think the look is spot on. Just fix the jean fit issue and you are on track

Comment

It can be difficult to find that perfect pair of jeans that fits right everywhere, but the cuffs are too wide. I wear J Crew 484's which have a 7 inch opening, but I'm slim. In my younger days I couldn't fit my thighs in them so I'd get regular slim/straight jeans and have them tapered for about 25 bucks. I hate trying to cuff jeans that are too wide. It never looks right.

Comment

Most important, how was the date?

Comment

What works for me since my work is also business casual, I just wear this all the time - even on weekends. I honestly don't even wear any 'street style' anymore.
                                If I want to make a look more casual, I'll skip the sportcoat and throw on a vest and a flight jacket, or a car coat instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X