Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just getting into mens fashion....trying to find my "style". I'm wasting money. Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried it as well, the green was gorgeous in-person, sadly the size small was a bit too snug and the medium was much too baggy.
    Ben

Comment

I agree with [MENTION=6476]emynd[/MENTION]‘s suggestions of considering earth tones when it comes to chinos. I added two pairs of olive trousers (1 chino, 1 denim) to my rotation and they really work well to add a bit a depth to my standard rotation of khaki and navy.

-Vic
      "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Comment

I agree with everyone concerning the black chinos. Black works best in dressier slacks because the fabric holds the color. Black chinos will not hold their color well, where other colors, such as khaki, olive and my fave tobacco, look great with age. Dial in the fit, and invest in the colors. If you question certain colors or fits, don't be afraid of lower priced items at Gap or Target's Goodfellow line. The investment isn't that big, and it can make you more confident.

Confidence is the key in the end. If your pea coat fits you, and you find various textured, shirts, or sweaters, and the appropriate chino to pair it with, you'll have confidence in your look. Knowing you are getting usage of your investment, and knowing that you have a quality jacket, helps with the confidence. Sometimes it is the hidden details that only you know about, which help you look better.

When I think of a high ticket item, I am reminded of a roasting pan a friend bought years ago. The $75 roaster was bought the night before Thanksgiving. She said her first turkey cost her $75 to cook, and the roast a few weeks later cost $37.50. She bought it for Thanksgiving thirty years ago, and still has it today. It was an investment that she joked about, and regretted at first, thinking it was an exorbitant price, but I am sure she rarely thinks of that investment today.

So get that pea coat out, pair it with a great shirt or sweater, and nice jeans this weekend. Throw on your chukkas, and make a date someplace you've never been. Be sure to thank your date for upping your style, and start making a mental note of how often you wear your investment. Chances are your coat will seem affordable very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bixmeister View Post
          I agree with everyone concerning the black chinos. Black works best in dressier slacks because the fabric holds the color. Black chinos will not hold their color well, where other colors, such as khaki, olive and my fave tobacco, look great with age. Dial in the fit, and invest in the colors. If you question certain colors or fits, don't be afraid of lower priced items at Gap or Target's Goodfellow line. The investment isn't that big, and it can make you more confident.
          Not sure if these get much love here, but you might check out Dockers Alpha for chinos. They come in a variety of colors (olive, grey, khaki, stone, etc.) and fits (including athletic) and can be had for not too much at, say, Macy's.
          Mark

Comment

If anyone is interested in that Billy Reid Bond Peacoat, the brown/black version is on 6pm right now for $320. They don't have my size :/

http://www.6pm.com/product/8775766/color/238

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
              You work in a biz casual place, have bought tons of clothing, and don't have any chinos or dress pants? Earlier I thought you said you can't wear jeans to work... so have you been wearing sweatpants this whole time? Now I'm confused.
              I'm just out of the Military about six months. So prior to that...I might say.....a camo button down cardigan with matching cargo pants and a tan suede leather lace up work boot.

In the ol' closet I've been building up weekend attire, to include some chino-like joggers, and I had two pair of old baggy american eagle khaki's.

Now that I am in the work-force, I'm trying to find myself, my style (I didn't have style because I wore a uniform for years).

I hope that helps paint the picture a bit more clearly. I just hate waving the "I served in the military" card.

Comment

Understandable, but your story makes a lot more sense now.

Anyways, it sounds like you need to build a normal business casual wardrobe. You can’t do that without trousers. Buy some.

Comment

Originally posted by Bixmeister View Post
                  So get that pea coat out, pair it with a great shirt or sweater, and nice jeans this weekend. Throw on your chukkas, and make a date someplace you've never been. Be sure to thank your date for upping your style, and start making a mental note of how often you wear your investment. Chances are your coat will seem affordable very quickly.
                  Thank you. Excellent reply. I'll do just that and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tact View Post
                    Understandable, but your story makes a lot more sense now.

Anyways, it sounds like you need to build a normal business casual wardrobe. You can’t do that without trousers. Buy some.
                    Bonobos earth tone stretch chino x 4 (delivery Dec. 12)
                    I took advantage of the GILT/Ledbury offer and have two button downs coming, one white, one plaid (delivery Dec. 14)

My chukkas are a chunky soled Clarks boot...kinda starting to have the stitching fray...and look a bit ragged, I may try to clean/polish them today and toothbrush the stitching with some soapy water and then use a lighter on the fraying areas.

Footwear and pants is where I'm struggling. I hope these chino's work out.

Comment

Originally posted by utopify View Post
                      I'm just out of the Military about six months. So prior to that...I might say.....a camo button down cardigan with matching cargo pants and a tan suede leather lace up work boot.

In the ol' closet I've been building up weekend attire, to include some chino-like joggers, and I had two pair of old baggy american eagle khaki's.

Now that I am in the work-force, I'm trying to find myself, my style (I didn't have style because I wore a uniform for years).

I hope that helps paint the picture a bit more clearly. I just hate waving the "I served in the military" card.
                      Bonobos earth tone stretch chino x 4 (delivery Dec. 12)
                      I took advantage of the GILT/Ledbury offer and have two button downs coming, one white, one plaid (delivery Dec. 14)

My chukkas are a chunky soled Clarks boot...kinda starting to have the stitching fray...and look a bit ragged, I may try to clean/polish them today and toothbrush the stitching with some soapy water and then use a lighter on the fraying areas.

Footwear and pants is where I'm struggling. I hope these chino's work out.
                      Background being military until very recently is important to understand the story more, as [MENTION=16515]Tact[/MENTION] said. Nothing to be bashful about either, IYAM. Bonobos are good in that you can order/return and figure out if their sizing/fits work for you. I'm definitely a fan of their athletic fit pants; have most of my jeans from them, "weekday warriors" for business casual use, and washed chinos for casual. I'd recommend keeping 1, maybe 2 of what you ordered so you can wear them a while and make sure they're for you before buying tons of different colors.

In terms of footwear, it's pretty personal/specific to your uses, and (I think) easy once you know what you want. Be wary of "The only shoes every man needs" type of articles, in terms of dictating as you might not need what they say, but they do oftentimes offer some good ideas as to what's normal/popular and what you can use things for.

More generally, some starter/primers that might be helpful:
                      https://dappered.com/2015/10/welcome...ed-start-here/
                      https://effortlessgent.com/lean-ward...-wardrobe-men/

And for shoes, some of these might help in figuring out what you want to buy to start:

https://effortlessgent.com/best-shoe...men-six-pairs/
                      https://dappered.com/2016/08/the-5-t...ery-guy-needs/
                      https://dappered.com/2017/10/6-style...-worth-owning/

Comment

Thank you hornsup. I appreciate the feedback. The more I research and review things, the more I also know that there is a psychological and emotional change going from such a monotone, militant lifestyle to realizing that something may look good when I wear it.

It also may lay way to understanding how I was "squared away" in my uniforms. . . being at the top of your game for so long; and then you want to get into normal life to have someone tell you "eww that doesn't work". Ego aside, its never fun.

So I appreciate all of the sound advice, links, and information. This is helping in more ways than wardrobe.

Comment

Perhaps you could post a pic of what you are thinking of wearing the next day and we could comment and let you know if you should change something or if it's a mental hurdle in your mind because you're not used to dressing that way.

Comment

Thank you hornsup. I appreciate the feedback. The more I research and review things, the more I also know that there is a psychological and emotional change going from such a monotone, militant lifestyle to realizing that something may look good when I wear it.

It also may lay way to understanding how I was "squared away" in my uniforms. . . being at the top of your game for so long; and then you want to get into normal life to have someone tell you "eww that doesn't work". Ego aside, its never fun.

So I appreciate all of the sound advice, links, and information. This is helping in more ways than wardrobe.
                            Happy to help. Another thought: You might also consider having a personal 'uniform' which might work as a way to ease into non-true-uniform life. You don't need to go full on Steve Jobs, but in a nutshell, find something that works for you and that you like, and then riff on it with modest changes day-to-day.

Comment

[MENTION=14805]ianr[/MENTION] [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION]

Damn you guys! I had a BR peacoat that I found I never wore. So I ended up giving the jacket after a couple of years to the Sally Ann. Never really missed the jacket and never really thought about it. Now you guys are out here, posting our pics and talk of peacoats and it has me thinking I could stand to take another look at them.

Anyone ever purchase/pick up their peacoat from the army surplus? I know Joe recommends checking them out from time to time. I only ask because I wasn't too impressed with the quality of my BR peacoat - which might explain why I hardly wore the thing.

(apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread)

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                                [MENTION=14805]ianr[/MENTION] [MENTION=2341]LesserBlackDog[/MENTION] [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] [MENTION=15577]Rawfull[/MENTION]

Damn you guys! I had a BR peacoat that I found I never wore. So I ended up giving the jacket after a couple of years to the Sally Ann. Never really missed the jacket and never really thought about it. Now you guys are out here, posting our pics and talk of peacoats and it has me thinking I could stand to take another look at them.

Anyone ever purchase/pick up their peacoat from the army surplus? I know Joe recommends checking them out from time to time. I only ask because I wasn't too impressed with the quality of my BR peacoat - which might explain why I hardly wore the thing.

(apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread)
                                I had a JCF peacoat which was nice but I found the wind would cut right through it when I visited NYC. So I gave it to a family member and bought a thicker one from LLBean that is made by SterlingWear (who supposedly used to make ones for the military.. It is much thicker/warmer and not as slim fitting . . . and unfortunately I never get a chance to wear it in Houston. This makes me believe that the Army surplus ones will be thicker but not cut to be slimming/tapered since they are not designed for fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                X