Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just getting into mens fashion....trying to find my "style". I'm wasting money. Help

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by utopify View Post
    Indeed I feel I need to do this. I started out blowing 2k at Billy Reid, another 500 at uniqlo, jcrew, nordstrom....on and on. So I know I have some cool stuff, but I could have started much cheaper.

Case in point, the Billy Reid Bond Pea-coat. 800$ - there are some nice pea coats around 100. Mistake ...because I rarely wear it or know how to pair it. Pea coats almost look empty without a scarf, but I hate scarfs...always make me feel claustrophobic and I know it may sound stupid (don't make fun of me) but I was bullied in high school and was yanked to the ground from behind by a scarf. Yes, that sparked a career in US Army combat arms...but that's another discussion.

Thank you all for the tips.
    It might be a good idea to continue to post specific items that you purchased that you have trouble wearing. That may be a good way to (a) develop some ideas on how to wear things and/or (b) decide if you should get rid of it.

Wearing a peacoat is honestly pretty easy as it goes with a variety of casual pieces. I have a feeling it looks far better than you realize and you're over-thinking it. Have you tried wearing the peacoat with rugged denim, a chunky earth-toned sweater/turtleneck (preferably one with some texture/visual interest), and some boots or plain toe bluchers? Or if you want to wear it to work, wear it with some earth toned corduroy or chino pants and a well-fitting wool sweater on top of an oxford cloth button down shirt. Instead of wearing a scarf, just pop the collar.

Comment

Thanks a million emynd! I'll try rocking this tomorrow. My real dilemma right now is pants. A good fit for an athletic build. I just ordered a pair of Bonobos in athletic fit - to try those out. And finally what shoes to wear with black chinos!? All I have are some Frye black vans looking shoes with white soles. Its nice for casual but I do get looks in the office, unless I throw on a sport coat. Black shoes in my opinion make me look so old.

Comment

Thanks a million emynd! I'll try rocking this tomorrow. My real dilemma right now is pants. A good fit for an athletic build. I just ordered a pair of Bonobos in athletic fit - to try those out. And finally what shoes to wear with black chinos!? All I have are some Frye black vans looking shoes with white soles. Its nice for casual but I do get looks in the office, unless I throw on a sport coat. Black shoes in my opinion make me look so old.
        Black chinos are kind of hard to wear if you don't have a lot of other black in your wardrobe. They're casual, but don't go all that well with other casual stuff. If they fit you the way you want, I'd say pair them with a pair of shiny plain-toe derby shoes, or a pair of black suede chukka boots. Black goes pretty well with olive---think military color combinations.

Comment

I agree with ac6. Black chinos would be very difficult to pair successfully in a business casual environment. Black clothes in general are deceptively hard to wear because they're traditionally reserved for formal wear (tuxes, etc) or evening/nightlife wear. The only black item I have incorporated into my own personal work wardrobe is a black knit tie.

Have you tried J Crew pants? They have a variety of fits in plenty of colors with conservative (in a good way!) styling that deserves a place in pretty much any man's wardrobe. And, of course, they're reasonably priced when you catch them on sale. When buying pants, earth tones (brown, olive, khaki) and light grays are much easier to pair than darker colors like navy, charcoal, or black.

Comment

I think i just need to keep trying. Today I think was a fail. I wore a light blue button down(jcrew) with light grey vneck (uniqlo) with a salt and pepper sport coat (lubiam 1911), but I dont have any chinos or dress pants, so Im wearing chino-material navy joggers and brown chukka boots /shudder.....

Comment

The Navy joggers thing did make me shudder, but everything else about that sounds great. You don't need to wait for chinos, wear some jeans with that getup.
              Bonobos chinos are great fitting for me. I have very slightly larger thighs and the athletic was too pouchy and the slim was perfect. Im kind of between a 33 and 34 in waist sizes, went with a 34 and it was definitely the right decision. I tried 33 slim and it was way too tight.
              If you have truly larger thighs the athletic fit should be just the ticket.
              I'm reading this thread with interest, will ever following and hopefully learning and helping a bit too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by nuggetzor View Post
                The Navy joggers thing did make me shudder, but everything else about that sounds great. You don't need to wait for chinos, wear some jeans with that getup.
                Bonobos chinos are great fitting for me. I have very slightly larger thighs and the athletic was too pouchy and the slim was perfect. Im kind of between a 33 and 34 in waist sizes, went with a 34 and it was definitely the right decision. I tried 33 slim and it was way too tight.
                If you have truly larger thighs the athletic fit should be just the ticket.
                I'm reading this thread with interest, will ever following and hopefully learning and helping a bit too.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
                I usually sport a 33, but I'd say im a 32.5. In jcrew jeans (770) i wear a 33, and 32 length is too long, but perfect for turning up. I ordered from bonobos a 32 in athletic fit. I guess we will find out how that pans out. I ordered one pair first, to see how it fits before taking advantage of their sale and ordering any more.

Comment

You know, it just takes some time to figure it out. You're gonna have to get comfortable with dressing better as well. Otherwise I agree with all the other guys. Buy some basics first. Yeah, they seem boring as hell, but most things should be boring or basic, with some accent pieces thrown in for variety. Don't beat yourself up over mistakes. I started upgrading about 3 years ago and I don't have much left in my closet from the first 6 months to even a year at this point. this past summer was the first time I've felt really confident with my style, and have an idea of pieces I'm looking for, instead of jumping at every decent sale I see online. Feels good!

Comment

If you don't like wearing a scarf, a peacoat is probably your BEST option specifically because the collar serves the same function as a scarf. I actually find wearing a scarf with a peacoat to be too constricting. You're overthinking it. That bond peacoat is awesome so wear it with confidence and it will show.

Comment

I love it. Excellent points, and you are spot on....I think I'm blending two fashions (edgy and business). I can get away with just about anything at work....as the rules are "no denim"...that's it.
                      Try business on the weekdays and edgy on the weekends. Perhaps that will help you differentiate the 2 at the beginning.

Case in point, the Billy Reid Bond Pea-coat. 800$ - there are some nice pea coats around 100. Mistake ...because I rarely wear it or know how to pair it. Pea coats almost look empty without a scarf, but I hate scarfs...always make me feel claustrophobic and I know it may sound stupid (don't make fun of me) but I was bullied in high school and was yanked to the ground from behind by a scarf. Yes, that sparked a career in US Army combat arms...but that's another discussion.

Thank you all for the tips.
                      I think this one is more in your head than anything else. A peacoat works with almost anything and it does not require a scarf or any other accessories.

I'd probably lose the black chinos. It will make your life much easier. Blue, Grey and Khaki are the most versatile chino colors. Pick up an olive/moss one for some more casual looks.

Comment

I think i just need to keep trying. Today I think was a fail. I wore a light blue button down(jcrew) with light grey vneck (uniqlo) with a salt and pepper sport coat (lubiam 1911), but I dont have any chinos or dress pants, so Im wearing chino-material navy joggers and brown chukka boots /shudder.....
                        You work in a biz casual place, have bought tons of clothing, and don't have any chinos or dress pants? Earlier I thought you said you can't wear jeans to work... so have you been wearing sweatpants this whole time? Now I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by emynd View Post

Unrelated to the topic but WOW. I really like that pea coat. Anybody have an idea where it’s from?

Comment

Looks like the green J.Crew dock pea coat from a couple years back.
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                              Second this--I recall because I was in the peacoat market and debated getting it. Eventually decided that I didn't want olive and wanted navy as the classic color (and was debating Bond vs other, etc.), but it being posted again makes me wonder if it was right to pass on...

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                                Thanks LBD. That's a shame, I've tried on the Dock and found that it runs a bit too long for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X