Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana Republic, JCrew, Uniqlo and others - bored?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Banana Republic, JCrew, Uniqlo and others - bored?

I'm not sure if this post will get any traction but I just wanted to see if any of you are in a similar boat.

I have been shopping at Banana Republic/GAP for over a decade (even worked there during college) and recently JCrew and Uniqlo for several years. Do you guys get bored at looking at the same "style" of clothe every year, every season? I found this to be the case especially for Banana Republic. For some reason, I feel like what BR offers is more of a business casual fashion.

"Stuck in business casual style cycle"

Where do you guys shop to spice up your style? I have been getting couple things from Zara which seems to have more fashion forward looks. And also thinking about thrifting.

Not in the same boat. I shop classic style--the one that has survived so many seasons and years. If I had unlimited closet space, I'd probably have different opinion, but I'm not interested in shopping clothes every season or even year just because I feel what I have is outdated. I can say I have stopped shopping (except to replace worn out clothes).

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
      Not in the same boat. I shop classic style--the one that has survived so many seasons and years. If I had unlimited closet space, I'd probably have different opinion, but I'm not interested in shopping clothes every season or even year just because I feel what I have is outdated. I can say I have stopped shopping (except to replace worn out clothes).
      Thanks for the comment. It's consistent with your forum name.

Question wasn't about timeless fashion styles. Obviously, many of us have the basic fundamentals and will continually look for them.

I'm talking about spicing up your style. It might be going out on a date, vacation or business dinner or just going out shopping.
      Last edited by proteus; November 20, 2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I don't think I'm getting bored with BR and JC, I just have most of the staple pieces they offer. I buy replacement items occasionally from BR, but they just aren't a go-to brand these days. I don't really consider them for anything tailored, and I'm getting picky with my shirts. I don't like the fits or the collars, so I'm doing MTM with Spier and Mackay mostly.

Comment

I have not bought anything from BR in what seems like over a year now. I'd say 90% of my purchasing now comes from the Gap.

I'm not bored with the styles offered by BR or the GAP. It's just that I pretty much the staples that I need/want. Anything I am picking up now is just to replace items that are starting to wear out.

Comment

As a 20+ year customer of BR, [MENTION=17094]proteus[/MENTION] I totally understand where you are coming from in terms of getting tired of the "same ole, same ole" styles & fashion. So tired that I have began to sell things (i.e. F2F apps, Swap & Shop...yes, shameless plug, lol) to clear room for more "spicy" pieces. To do so, I've been frequenting thrift stores. I have found items that deviate somewhat from my typical color & style palate. Plus, its fun to find a piece, spruce it up, wear and get many compliments............for a low price.

My 2 pennies.....
            Last edited by Heafcliffe; November 20, 2017, 05:47 PM.

Comment

I don’t know that I’m bored of the style in general but I have noticed myself being bored with BR in particular. It seems like everything, especially on the men’s side, is just the basics. Solid polos, solid v neck sweaters, chinos, jeans. It still tends to be my go to due to price and quality to but I see where you’re coming from.

Comment

As someone who prescribes to a simple classic aesthetic, I don't find the styles boring or bemoan the lack of change. I look at women's style, which changes regularly, and there can be stretches where a particular brand puts out an awful lineup and I can imagine it being frustrating if you're looking to replace a particular piece or find something simple and classic. That's kind of what happened with Jcrew womens, along with high prices they strayed from their classic styles too much, imo.

Comment

This may sound counter intuitive, but I have been really impressed with how Brooks Brothers is putting a new spin on old stuff lately. I got a black seersucker shirt from them a bit ago and love it. I also like some of the more outlandish ralph lauren items to spice things up. Finally, I go on ebay to find cool vintage stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
                    This may sound counter intuitive, but I have been really impressed with how Brooks Brothers is putting a new spin on old stuff lately. I got a black seersucker shirt from them a bit ago and love it. I also like some of the more outlandish ralph lauren items to spice things up. Finally, I go on ebay to find cool vintage stuff.
                    I hear you. There are times JCrew has little more variety which I appreciate. Like you, I'm searching eBay and thrift stores for cool vintage stuff.

Comment

J Crew gets most of my money as long as there is a sale. I refuse to pay full price on anything they sell.

They have staple pieces, but they also have quite a few interesting pieces, which is typically what I'll splurge on.

Comment

Originally posted by paintflinger View Post
                        J Crew gets most of my money as long as there is a sale. I refuse to pay full price on anything they sell.

They have staple pieces, but they also have quite a few interesting pieces, which is typically what I'll splurge on.
                        I also never pay full price for anything from anywhere.

The idea of 40% off almost everyday as a norm for BR seems ridiculous but it seems to touch on human behavior of I'm getting a 200 dollar coat for 120 when in actuality it should have been priced at 120 dollars from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by proteus View Post

The idea of 40% off almost everyday as a norm for BR seems ridiculous but it seems to touch on human behavior of I'm getting a 200 dollar coat for 120 when in actuality it should have been priced at 120 dollars from the beginning.
                          Gah! I hate you guys. Been seeing discounts from AE but they don't make most shoes my size (6D), grrr....

Comment

Originally posted by proteus View Post

JCPenney Hired Ron Johnson from Apple (he ran the Apple retail business) to be the CEO in 2011. Mr. Johnson tried to do away with eternal 50% off sales and coupons and just lowered their prices. It was a complete disaster. The board booted him out of his position after about 15 months. So Banana Republic (and the Gap and JCrew and all of the others) are doing it probably because they have to, not because they want to...

On the style side, if you want to spice things up you might consider checking out Todd Snyder - they do some pieces that are a bit more bold. Billy Reid fits in that category as well. But you'll pay more for both. Finally, you might just be evolving. If you like shopping, it's hard when you nail down your personal style and then find your closet full after a couple of years -- you have to go into replacement mode, which means much less volume, and much less shopping fun. I'm pretty much there with shoes, shirts, jackets, sportcoats. If you hate shopping, that's big plus, of course...
                            Mark

Comment

I drastically reduced the amount of money I spent on my wardrobe this year. I'm in "replacement" mode, but it isn't out of boredom. I still do a lot of online window shopping. I have a really good idea of what I would buy to replace just about everything I own. I still enjoy reading about the pros and cons of different products. J. Crew sent me a "we want you back" email with $25 off if I spend $100+. Even with this enticement, I couldn't find enough stuff that I needed or wanted to reach the threshold. I invested a lot of time and money over the last few year in my wardrobe. I think it's time to just enjoy and appreciate what I have. I feel like I have enough knowledge now to intelligently maintain my wardrobe and make changes as needed. Now, I can spend time on more important things.

Comment

Working...
                              X