Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoe Polish and Conditioner/Cleaner...When?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe Polish and Conditioner/Cleaner...When?

A few of you may recall that I got a great deal on a new pair of AE Veronas. In order to take of these very nice shoes I bought some shoe care stuff from AE when they were having their sale. I bought the Natural Polish and a cleaner/conditioner. I have a few questions.

1. When I apply the conditioner/cleaner first or the polish?

2. How often should I use each?

Thanks everyone for your help.

We seriously need a consolidated thread of shoe care advice. I'd reference such a thing often. Just posting because I too would like to know how to this information!

Edit: So that I feel constructive, here's a post I have bookmarked from SF for when I actually get around to buying real shoe care stuff: http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/a...5#post_5415047

Comment

What color are they? Condition every month or two with regular wear. Or as needed, if the leather appears to need it. I like to keep a lot of my nicer shoes well-polished. I try to buff out most scuffs each time I wear them (not necessarily with a product) and polish when they get ugly. Every couple weeks depending on wear.

For the first time. Wipe down with damp towel. Let dry. Condition. Rub that in well. Let dry overnight. Polish. Let sit a bit. Wipe off excess polish. Buff. Beautiful.

Then you will likely polish once or twice before needing to condition again. Maybe not. Depends on wear.

Everyone has their own way of doing it. That's a really basic way to do it.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@greg_s They are brown. I bought neautral polish. Thank you for the tips. That is exactly what i am looking for.

Comment

Like Greg says everyone has their own way of doing things. I like to condition right away and polish once every 2 weeks or as needed and wipe down after each wear/every other wear (I've found old undershirts work well).

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

I am curious about something too. I bought AE walnut polish that comes in the "self-applicator" tube with the foam sponge at the end. I found it really hard to apply an even coat with this, and especially to get polish in/out of the perfs in my strands.

Do people just ditch the applicator and apply the polish to a brush? Or am I just doing something wrong?

Comment

@Hardrain, you should apply with the self applicator/tube and a horsehair brush should get all the excess polish out of the perfs. Thats what I do for me AE Daltons. Use this link for reference http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...d=-1&storeId=1

Comment

@Hardrain: I read some comments either here or on StyleForum about that foam applicator. When I first used those polishes with the applicator, I observed what I later found out to be confirmed by others: the foam applicator may soak up too much polish.

So I unscrewed the foam applicator and squeezed it out directly onto a cloth and applied the polish that way. You should be applying thin coats of polish so don't go squeezing the thing like a tube of toothpaste. If you do that, you shouldn't run into problems with excess polish getting into the brogueing--I just polished a pair of Strands last night and had no issues. But when I had previously used the foam applicator on a pair of longwings, I experienced what you described.

If you prefer to apply the polish using a brush, use something smaller like a horsehair dauber than a buffing brush. Save the buffing brush for a final brush after you've already wiped excess polish and buffed it with a cloth. That way you can prevent polish from getting on your buffing brush. Another benefit is that you won't need multiple (large) brushes for the different colored shoes you have--just get daubers per color instead (they're significantly cheaper), or use rags like I do

Comment

Since this is becoming a shoe care thread, how do I make shoe leather suppler?

Comment

Greg, I'll test your method on my new Players tonight/tomorrow!

Comment

@akosmowski

You are somewhat limited by the quality of the leather but use leather conditioner. I use leather honey http://www.amazon.com/Leather-Honey-.../dp/B003IS3HV0 but it's hardly the only product out there.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Working...
                      X