Wedding Suits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding Suits

Recently engaged and will start looking for wedding suits for myself and groomsmen soon. Any suggestions on places to look that won’t break the bank for everyone? It’ll be a beach wedding on the east coast next fall and I’m thinking a medium blue suit but that isn't set in stone yet. I don't want to rent so we're going to be buying. Ideally I won't have to go through Jos Bank although at first glance it does seem to be the most cost effective option. Appreciate the help!

Originally posted by DapperDukes View Post
    Recently engaged and will start looking for wedding suits for myself and groomsmen soon. Any suggestions on places to look that won’t break the bank for everyone? It’ll be a beach wedding on the east coast next fall and I’m thinking a medium blue suit but that isn't set in stone yet. I don't want to rent so we're going to be buying. Ideally I won't have to go through Jos Bank although at first glance it does seem to be the most cost effective option. Appreciate the help!
    Have you heard of Combat Gent? ahhhhh just kidding!

1) Land's End is worth looking at... they make their "Year 'Rounder" suit separates which come in both traditional and tailored fits (for both jackets and pants), and a huge range of sizes (38S to 48L). They also do hemming in house to save your groomsmen money if an off the rack fit works. Several colors of fabric to choose from- they usually always have black, navy, dark charcoal, and light charcoal. Seasonally they will add in a couple different fabrics (right now its a navy plaid and a brown herringbone, but these will certainly not stick around past Winter). One of the ones I own (and some sizes still floating around on Sale) is the Slate Blue Hopsack which is close to what you're looking for, though maybe a bit undersaturated shade of blue. I own two of these and the quality is very solid, especially for the price- they regularly run 40% off codes which puts them at $175.

2) J Crew Factory Thompson is an obligatory mention. Again you're getting options for both slim and a more contemporary "Thompson" fit (though note that not all suits are made in both fits). Their worsted wool separates are fantastic quality and the "Navy" option is much closer to a medium blue than a deep navy. Pants are sold at designated inseams, saves needing hemming. You used to be able to get these close to $200 a pop, but now they hover around $300 and only dip lower on special occasions.

3) Spier and Mackay is one I'll toss out there, as they are higher quality than anything else mentioned so far. They have an expansive selection of fabrics and almost certainly will have something on hand for what you're seeking (have a look here at their blue non-navy options). Again, S&M comes in Slim and Contemporary fits and a wide range of sizes... Drawbacks to S&M are 1) They don't do in-house hemming, so that's an extra trip to the tailor for you and your party (though a cheap and easy one to make-$10 and 10 mins tops). 2) S&M sells their suits as a nested pair, meaning you order based on jacket size and pants are automatically a 6" drop. However, I have read elsewhere that they will substitute bottoms if you have odd proportions...so worth checking into if that is a concern. That said, the suits are the best bang for the buck I've owned... they usually go around $300 (though I've gotten then as low as $250) and they also do bundle pricing, so order all your groomsmen's together to save ~$40/suit.

Overall if you are looking to spend bottom dollar, Land's End is hard to beat. If you're OK with asking your friends and family to shell out $250... I'd swing for Spier and Mackay. If you end up finding a good deal at J Crew Factory, I doubt you'll be disappointed either.

Comment

Appreciate the detailed response! I almost tried to convince my brother to use Combat Gent for his wedding last October. Even reached out to them regarding pricing. Thankfully they were terrible at returning messages so we opted out of that. I didn't think of the Spier & Mackay bundling option. That's a really good call. I'll likely reach out to them and also take a look at Lands End offerings as well. Thanks again!

Comment

Just curious... it's a "beach" wedding and the wedding party is wearing semi-formal clothes? Have you considered a blazer?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this for you only or also your groomsmen? My suggestion, and one mentioned here frequently, would be to dictate a dress code and work with your guys that don’t meet it. Don’t make them buy a suit if they already have one that meets the theme.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDukes View Post
            I looked into Combat Gent, SuitSupply, Spier & Mckay, J Crew (and Factory),etc when I started wedding planning 11 months. Ultimately I opted for Navy suits of varying shades because 3 of my groomsmen already had Navy/Blue suits and 2 others were actually in the process of looking for a navy suit. My fiance and I decided that matching suits was not necessary so we have 6 different shades of navy/blue. I splured on m8ne and got a Hickey Freeman made to measure from a local clothier but the rest have Suit Supply, Kenneth Cole, Spier &Mckay, JCF, and one from Nordstrom Rack. Besides mine the most expensive suit was 399.00 from Suit Supply. My point is that unless you all have to match exactly I would pick a handful of choices for your guys from all the usual places in every budget. I am getting married Friday so I will post a picture of the varying suits. Good luck and congrats!

Comment

Don't worry if the suit is darker blue, navy suits often look more like royal blue in a sunny environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Kenny View Post
                I looked into Combat Gent, SuitSupply, Spier & Mckay, J Crew (and Factory),etc when I started wedding planning 11 months. Ultimately I opted for Navy suits of varying shades because 3 of my groomsmen already had Navy/Blue suits and 2 others were actually in the process of looking for a navy suit. My fiance and I decided that matching suits was not necessary so we have 6 different shades of navy/blue. I splured on m8ne and got a Hickey Freeman made to measure from a local clothier but the rest have Suit Supply, Kenneth Cole, Spier &Mckay, JCF, and one from Nordstrom Rack. Besides mine the most expensive suit was 399.00 from Suit Supply. My point is that unless you all have to match exactly I would pick a handful of choices for your guys from all the usual places in every budget. I am getting married Friday so I will post a picture of the varying suits. Good luck and congrats!
                This is also certainly an option. Some people (read: wives) are very insistent that everything must match (mine was). I personally like the loose collection of navy blue suits idea, maybe just instead everyone wears the same tie or shoes. It looks a little more carefree to my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                  This is also certainly an option. Some people (read: wives) are very insistent that everything must match (mine was). I personally like the loose collection of navy blue suits idea, maybe just instead everyone wears the same tie or shoes. It looks a little more carefree to my eyes.
                  I found that most start out that way. My wife did. But then I explained the benefits of asking my groomsmen to wear a tux and I'd make sure they fit some basic parameters (for example I provided the tie, shirt, vest etc.

We got good feedback on how nice it was for our supporters since we didn't put unnecessary burden on them. It's very hard in the moment since it's a big deal for the soon to be wife to spend a year (or almost her life) planning for 1 day. But that's it essentially. It's one day. Stuff all go wrong. Stuff won't come out as planned. Shoot to make it a memorable event where people can have fun and it will work out.

Best of luck to the OP.

Comment

Congrats on getting married. I don't have much to offer by way of opinion/help. I can say that I bought a 3-piece suit from SuSu for my wedding and it looked great.

Hopefully some of these links, if you haven't seen them already, will help.

https://threads.dappered.com/showthr...hlight=wedding

Comment

Agreed on the wife thing but my soon to be wife (tonight) eventually loved the idea of mismatched suits. She had a tough time with her bridesmaids and their dresses so they went with all different dresses of the same color. The groomsmen will all have ties and pocket squares of different patterns but the same color. I didn't want them to match completely because the suits won't match. I just asked them to wear the same color shoes but they could be any kind (LWB, Captoe, etc). At the end of the day I really didn't want to ask anyone to spend anything that they didn't have to.

Comment

Agreed on the wife thing but my soon to be wife (tonight) eventually loved the idea of mismatched suits. She had a tough time with her bridesmaids and their dresses so they went with all different dresses of the same color. The groomsmen will all have ties and pocket squares of different patterns but the same color. I didn't want them to match completely because the suits won't match. I just asked them to wear the same color shoes but they could be any kind (LWB, Captoe, etc). At the end of the day I really didn't want to ask anyone to spend anything that they didn't have to.
                        Sounds like a great plan. Also companies like The Tie Bar make ideas like this super easy and affordable as they tend to run a slew of patterns in the same colors/fabrics, making matching without duplicating much more feasible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I can't begin to explain you how jealous I am. I've been pitching this approach to my fiance for months with no success. She is dead set on having all of my groomsmen wearing the same suits. My sister got married earlier this year and all of her bridesmaids wore different dresses in the same color range. It looked great. But us guys had to buy the same crappy navy suits from mens wearhouse. I wasn't thrilled and it looked hokey. The last thing I want is for my buddies to go through that. You're lucky. Good luck and congrats.

Comment

Sounds like a great plan. Also companies like The Tie Bar make ideas like this super easy and affordable as they tend to run a slew of patterns in the same colors/fabrics, making matching without duplicating much more feasible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
                            I bought all my groomsman Ties, Pocket Squares, and tie bars from The Tie Bar for that exact reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
                              I can't begin to explain you how jealous I am. I've been pitching this approach to my fiance for months with no success. She is dead set on having all of my groomsmen wearing the same suits. My sister got married earlier this year and all of her bridesmaids wore different dresses in the same color range. It looked great. But us guys had to buy the same crappy navy suits from mens wearhouse. I wasn't thrilled and it looked hokey. The last thing I want is for my buddies to go through that. You're lucky. Good luck and congrats.
                              Get her on Pinterest looking at mismatched wedding outfit pictures, it may change her mind. Good luck! And yes, I am a very lucky man!

Comment

Working...
                              X