Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"7 watch guys" from main site

https://dappered.com/2017/10/the-7-types-of-watch-guys/

I have something from 4 of the 7. Like literally one of the specific watches listed. Guess that makes me a bit schizophrenic?

Inexpensive Automatic Guy: I have an SKX and a Hamilton Khaki, among others.

Quartz is JUST FINE Guy: I have the Seiko pictured, although the actual model number is SNDC31.

Beater Watch Guy: The pictured watch again, a Timex Expedition Scout

Smart Watch Guy: that isn't a watch, its a cell phone accessory. Shouldn't even count. And I don't have one unless you count my Gear Fit 2 which is really a fitness tracker with a couple of smart features.

Luxury Watch Guy: not yet but one day...

Rare Maker/Brand Guy: I have some micro brands with production runs in the 300 range. That counts I think. Plus I have the ones I modified. That makes them fairly rare I guess.

Bigger is Better Guy: No. Not me.

I was amused.

Was a pretty good article overall. The description on the micro-brand was good at getting a legit LOL from me at work.

I've technically owned 3 groups so far (Bambino previously, Speedy in the current collection and a Maratac large pilot (although on me it isn't that huge)), so I'm not too far behind you...

Comment

You know you have a watch problem when you see the list and interpret it as "Watches I Still Need to Buy".

I've got all but the jumbo watch and a luxury piece.

I'm surprised "Ultra Authentic Aviator Guy" and "If it isn't 1000M water resistant then why bother? Guy" didn't make the list.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

There actually is an MP3 player Walkman that costs $3,200.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1z

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ianr View Post
          There actually is an MP3 player Walkman that costs $3,200.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/walkman/nw-wm1z

Is that seriously for real or is it an April fool's joke/page they forgot to take down?

Comment

Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
            Is that seriously for real or is it an April fool's joke/page they forgot to take down?
            It's legit. It's to go with some chunky $2,000 headphones and a $1,000 portable headphone app. Then you can go jogging in high def.

Comment

Where's Casio Digital G-Shock Guy?

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
                You know you have a watch problem when you see the list and interpret it as "Watches I Still Need to Buy".
                Yup. That's pretty much how I tackled the list too. I'm in this weird watch space right now. I keep seeing watches that I like (and [MENTION=3886]drocpsu[/MENTION] keeps posting images of his Seamaster) so I start thinking about picking up another watch. Then I look at the watches I own currently and what I wear, and can't figure out how I'd fit (let alone afford) another watch in the rotation. So I keep waffling back and forth.

Comment

Originally posted by sruchris View Post
                  Where's Casio Digital G-Shock Guy?
                  That is the one that I think was missing too

Comment

That or skeleton watch guy - likely in there with the oversized watch guy but hey it works.

Also in the running - the nato strap enthusiast

I fit pretty squarely in areas 1 and 2. I spend most of my time salivating in the WWIWT thread.

Comment

Actually, if watches are really your thing, you'll likely have watches from many/most of these categories, and many of the categories will cross over. I got in to men's style as a sort of consequence of being a watch guy. From this list I have watches in many categories, and I'm really not sure that these kind of categories work at all.
                      For example:
                      1) Inexpensive automatic- they list hamilton khaki here. For many, a watch of this caliber and price is a luxury, and even if it is, this kind of watch still qualifies as a beater
                      2) Quartz is just fine- quartz falls all over the map, I personally have quartz watches that fall into the bargain bin beater category and the Luxury category, and between.
                      3) Beater watch guy- to most watch guys, beater is either the watch you wear all the time/most of the day or the watch you wear when you're doing something that could be a hazard to your watch. Personally, I prefer to wear my best watches most of the time. My 'beater' comes out to play only if i'm playing squash or doing something involving a hammer/impact tool/tool with heavy vibration
                      4) Smart watch guy- no real comment here, as I don't own one, but a number of luxury brands (most notably tag heuer) are doing these as well.
                      5) Luxury- As i said before, luxury means different things to different people, hamilton can go here just as easily as the inexpensive auto. but I guess this is where I would fall if i tried to shoehorn myself in here. Not sure I appreciate this group's caption.
                      6) Rare watch- this is pretty much just an extension on 5.
                      7) Bigger is better- fits into EVERY category noted above. Also subjective with regards to what constitutes big. I personally am fairly short and not particularly large, so bigger watches don't really appeal to me.

For the most part, if you're really a 'watch guy', you tend to appreciate a range of watches in a range of categories. Myself, I have as many watches I admire in categories 1,2 and 3 as I do in 5 and 6. I just generally tend to enjoy them as a hobby.

Comment

I think there are eight types of watch guys and would like to argue for the antique watch. I wear an arte nouveau Longines in 14 karat gold with a crocodile strap. Or my cell phone. Maybe there are nine types...

Comment

Working...
                        X