Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What item gives you the best ratio of Compliments:Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we're talking about compliments for a low-cost item specifically, I'd say it would be me Casio Edifice watch.

Overall though, I would say that I've gotten the most compliments on my AE McAllisters, which cost substantially more than the watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Now that it’s winter again here where I live, I am getting a TON of compliments on my BR charcoal houndstooth topcoat. The one that was featured pretty prominently on the main site a few years back. It wasn’t cheap but I’m pretty sure I got it 50% off MSRP during a F&F sale.
      Ben

Comment

Cheap: Clark's chukka boots and my gray suede sneakers. Pricey: Allen Edmonds Stands. The folks in my office really do notice men's footwear, especially the ladies.

Comment

I contantly get complements on my Warby Parker crystal Percey eyeglasses. At $95, they're not cheap, but not that expensive, either...

https://www.warbyparker.com/eyeglass...percey/crystal
          Mark

Comment

I had a Donegal tweed cap that I thrifted, people actually asked me where I got it. Unfortunately I lost it.

Comment

Just recently, I wore this JCrew light scarf and got lots of looks and compliments. I think accessories are the key.
              I wish I bought another in burgandy last year.

Great post!

Comment

Cheapass wooden watches from Amazon. I have a couple I wear casually. They were like $15/ea. I have had way more compliments on those than on my rolexes.

Comment

I should probably change my answer now. I picked up a pair of these jeans https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/p...tch?ID=1487388 for about 20 bucks and have gotten multiple compliments each time I wear them.

Even though they're not actually black watch pattern.

Comment

non plain white pocket squares. one like the below always gets compliments when wore with dark blazers/suits. was around $10, i think from JCF.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
                      Cheapass wooden watches from Amazon. I have a couple I wear casually. They were like $15/ea. I have had way more compliments on those than on my rolexes.
                      Links?

Comment

I have mixed feelings about the whole compliment thing. I find that usually my flashy or quirky things get compliments. I prefer when people say "you look nice" instead. I hate to say it but when a random person compliments a specific item I get a little turned off to that item. Now if it's someone who knows me well or a fellow watch nerd says "nice watch" that's different.

Comment

^^^ agree. I don't like having a certain item grab all the attention, and when non-stylish people say something looks nice it sometimes just means it's flashy.

Comment

$25 Burnt Orange knitted tie from the Tie Bar. Scarf I bought on sale at the GAP (~$20)

Comment

I agree that loud stuff tends to elicit more comments/compliments than genuinely nice stuff. You shouldn’t judge your garments by how many compliments they elicit, that’s for sure. When I wear my plum velvet blazer I always get lots of nice comments but I know it’s just because plum velvet is unusual and eye-catching - the jacket itself is pretty cheaply constructed, does not drape, fit is only so-so, etc. No amount of compliments is going to elevate that jacket out of “once in a blue moon, holiday party frequency” wear for me.

Dressing well really isn’t about external validation, IMO. That’s especially true of dressing well casually (or business casually). No one is going to gush compliments over a pair of perfectly fitted jeans and t-shirt, or perfectly fitted chinos and OCBD. That’s why dressing well casually is the hardest and requires the greatest degree of confidence, IMO.
                              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
                                Basically, what is your cheapest, most complimented item? The thing that you have that gets accolades that you also got for a steal?

This question is inspired by the coat I wore today, an old surplus Swedish greatcoat that I got from a surplus store for about 20 bucks. But every time I wear it, multiple people comment on how cool it is.

So what's yours? A sharp suit you got from a thrift store for five bucks? Some socks you picked up on a whim from the clearance bin that are super cool? Maybe a styling scarf you made yourself?

I suppose technically anything you got for free that anyone has ever said anything nice about would be the highest ratio, but you know what I mean.
                                It has to be my chocolate brown color blazer(traveler jacket) from Combatant Gentlemen that I got on sale for $40. I really need to remove the garbage buttons sew in new horn buttons.

Comment

Working...
                                X