Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What item gives you the best ratio of Compliments:Cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What item gives you the best ratio of Compliments:Cost?

Basically, what is your cheapest, most complimented item? The thing that you have that gets accolades that you also got for a steal?

This question is inspired by the coat I wore today, an old surplus Swedish greatcoat that I got from a surplus store for about 20 bucks. But every time I wear it, multiple people comment on how cool it is.

So what's yours? A sharp suit you got from a thrift store for five bucks? Some socks you picked up on a whim from the clearance bin that are super cool? Maybe a styling scarf you made yourself?

I suppose technically anything you got for free that anyone has ever said anything nice about would be the highest ratio, but you know what I mean.

Honestly two things but neither are cheap: my Brooks Brothers sportcoats and my Spier and Mackay suits. They almost never fail to elicit a compliment on a daily/weekly basis. Neither are "cheap" but I've just found they are great at catching someone's eye.

My AE shoes, nicest ties, tailored shirts... Never seem to move the needle. But a well made jacket? Just works.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a pair of Kenneth Cole Penny loafers that I literally wore the soles off of. Got compliments on them plenty. Cost me about $30 on clearance. Guess they were to conservative to sell well.

Comment

My Casio Ediface. I have much more expensive watches that don't get near the compliments.

Comment

That would have to be a brown leather jacket for $40. I've gotten compliments ranging from "Indiana jones" to "star lord" ?

The noticeable thing is that only other straight dudes notice the jacket...it's made me question the whole dress for/to impress yourself.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

As a small person, I don't count on thrifting or sales.

I only wear my panama hat (100-150 USD) once a year but it always gets compliments.

Comment

I have a hat that I purchased from Goorin Bros years ago. Whenever I wear the hat, someone always comments on it. It might be a little bit out there, but I like it.

I can't recall the model of the hat, but it looks like this (not my photo or my exact hat)

Comment

Happy Socks from Nordstrom’s Rack. I get compliments all day long on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Was able to snag this Timex for $24 or something (retails around $65-80...usually can get it for $40-50). For an often-hidden accessory, I get compliments multiple times every week. I highly recommend it. Looks much fancier than it costs.

Comment

Green university stripe OCBD from L.L. Bean. $10 on sale, only my size left. I was glad to find that particular color and pattern without having to pay $140 to Brooks Brothers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tjyoung View Post
                      Was able to snag this Timex for $24 or something (retails around $65-80...usually can get it for $40-50). For an often-hidden accessory, I get compliments multiple times every week. I highly recommend it. Looks much fancier than it costs.

Absolutely. That's my go to watch on a leather strap.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

what's the name of this specific timex model?

Comment

Weekender Chrono TW2P713009J

Comment

Something of a tossup between a cheap item and a more expensive one. Cheap is my Joseph Abboud full-brogue bluchers, which I picked up for C$90 (back when the dollar was pretty much at par). Expensive is my S&M Big Blue Check navy three-piece suit.

I get many times the compliments on the suit (pretty much every second time I wear it) as the shoes but after taxes and alterations it cost six times as much.

Comment

I was going to say this as well. My timex weekender, with a nice colored band, more complements for $50 than any of my other items.

Comment

Working...
                              X