Zuckerberg's hoodie rankles Wall Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zuckerberg's hoodie rankles Wall Street

I'm going to just leave this here...and slowly back out of the room...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/09/tech/s...ss_igoogle_cnn

Oh journalists.... An article titled "Zuckerberg's Hoodie Rankles Wall Street" proceeds to quote from one analyst who made that comment.

Dress for style, live for results.

Comment

Zuckerberg is a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them. It was a deliberate choice. The fact that this is considered news is another conversation altogether.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I think the only people qualified to comment on his hoodie are the ones with companies worth more than 100 billion $.

Comment

CEOs in hoodies, CEOs in sneakers, same thing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk0roE34zLw

Comment

As the former founder of a tech start-up that failed, I now want to go wear a hoodie after reading that article.

Comment

I kinda wish people would stop dressing down deliberately in situations like this. Maybe it is because I am in college, but I just get annoyed by people wearing pajamas and hoodies everywhere to show that they get to be comfy even though they are around other professionals putting out efforts and assistance.

Am I bad for thinking it is a bit arrogant to waltz into board rooms in hoodies or pajamas? He knows it is going to be attention grabbing, and certainly not seen as respectful? I don't think it makes him less capable or mature, but it does seem like he is making a choice to draw attention to his position for perhaps selfish reasons.

Oh boy, now I sound a bit like that analyst.

I get that he runs things more casually and creatively, but why not dress up nicely? Nothing wrong with adding a few drops of James Bond to your morning smoothie.

Comment

Shrewd move on his part. There is a lot of animosity towards Wall Street types. That animosity is displayed disproportionately through social media platforms, including Facebook.

By wearing a hoodie and not a $10,000 suit he sets himself apart from those people. It looks more like he is an everyday guy who got lucky and is exploiting the fat cats' greed. If he was too deferential to the investors he could risk alienating his users more than when he introduced timeline.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of irreverence, but I can interpret as Zuck's way of saying, "welcome to my game" instead of cow-towwing to their rules of engagement.

Comment

It could also be that he doesn't see clothing as a requirement to show off you produce great and valuable work - as much as I hate timeline and the people at Facebook.

Comment

I just can't imagine his answer to the question, "Why did you choose casual wear when you know it isn't appropriate?" being a good answer that will make me like the choice.

It seems like it is some show of power or arrogance. In a way, it's like wearing a crown around your subjects because you know they can't force you to do anything to show an equality in the room. It is something that is inappropriate, but his own view of his success makes him think he will get away with the statement. It says that he isn't anyone's subordinate and he is going to prove it, at least that is where it strikes me.

Comment

Idk, I tend to agree more with Chris. It demonstrates his dominance over that group of people while "showing" he's not one of them. I think the only group more despised than Wall Street is Congress. Maybe immature, but a statement nonetheless.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

If he's that much of a rebel, why doesn't he syndicate the IPO himself? Or he could have selected one of the Midwestern hippy boutique banks to take lead-left instead of MS and (let's face it) GS.

I don't have a problem with dressing shabbily, but it's not at all a meaningful statement, and certainly not one against the "fat cats" on Wall Street.

Comment

@Cannon Regarding "It seems like it is some show of power or arrogance. In a way, it's like wearing a crown around your subjects because you know they can't force you to do anything to show an equality in the room. It is something that is inappropriate, but his own view of his success makes him think he will get away with the statement. It says that he isn't anyone's subordinate and he is going to prove it, at least that is where it strikes me."

He's the founder and head of a company whose products have revolutionized human interaction and ushered in a new era of technological egalitarianism. Given that, I'd say he is powerful and he is far better than those "in the room." Given what he and his company have done, I'd be a little concerned if he didn't act a little arrogant.

Comment

@amathew How do we know he is better than those in the room? Were there felons in there or something? I still don't see how making a big company (that some love and some hate) makes it okay. There are a lot of great business men who dress nice when they are going to talk to people who like to dress nice to respect their system, relationships, and environment.

If the people in the room are taking time and showing effort, I don't think he is showing any good signs by exercising his right not to show the efforts and respect the environment.

Unless there were some serious problem people that attended that meeting, I can only assume Zuckerberg was the one showing off authority and attending with a lack of respect.

Comment

Working...
                              X