Entry level shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry level shoes

I have been updating my wardrobe and one of the "final" products I need is a nice pair of dress shoes (or two). I'm not sure where to begin. I hear people saying good things about Allen Edmonds, Brooks Brothers shoes, etc. Can anyone provide suggestions.

I work at a tech start-up which is very casual (think silicon valley attire). I get away with just a dress shirt and chinos/trousers to work. Currently, I have a couple suede dress shoes and a pair of Eastland mocs that I wear. They are all "casual" shoes so I need some nice dress shoes.

Budget? Preferred style (wingtip, cap toe, plain toe)? Color?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Budget: 0 - 400 .... but cheaper is always preferred.

Style: wingtip

Color: Eventually want to have a mix of brown and a couple black dress shoes. Not sure what to start with.

Comment

General consensus seems to be Allen Edmonds park or fifth Ave black. Should be wearable most occasions

Comment

Stafford Ashton Wingtips.

http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/stafford%25c2%25ae-ashton-mens-wingtip-dress-shoes/prod.jump?ppId=1b9aceb

Went to check them out in person earlier this week, the sole is more dark brown than black. if I wasn't so broke from tailoring expenses, I would have purchased them on the spot.

Comment

They are cap not wingtip though. You could try players walnut from AE for more casual looking wingtip but will limit pant colour choices.

Comment

OP here with one important side note.

I also have a slight disability and I run through shoes like none other due to how I walk. I don't have cerebal palsy, but my walk is characterized by dragging of the feet and instability.

I note this because I always read on Dappered and Styleforum about getting 300+ dress shoes because "they will last a long time". And while they probably do for most people, I doubt they would for me. Don't get me wrong, I'd like to own one or two pairs of expensive shoes, it's just not practical for daily usage.

Comment

What part of your foot drags? Also, go with brown. Look into the variety of styles offered by AE. For the $ they are hard to beat. They should have a sale this summer sometime where you can get a great price.

Comment

I've had really good experiences on eBay. I've purchased two pairs of Allen Edmonds, one for $60 and one for $110 and both are in great condition. If you want to buy new, check out a Nordstrom Rack store if you have one near you. You can often find several models for around $200 (that's $100-$150 off of retail).

If you're looking to go cheaper, Johnston & Murphy are alright, though not very durable. The Mercanti and Mike Konos from DSW that Joe regularly posts about look good too. Also, Florsheim sells some Goodyear-welted shoes for under $200.

Comment

I'm wearing the Stafford brown plain-toe derbies right now, I'm pretty pleased with them. You can get JCP gift cards for 25% off at cardpool.com right now, so they were about $40 total. Great shape and color, and while the leather isn't premium, it's not stiff and plasticky like other cheap shoes I've seen. It actually feels a lot like Mercanti shoes I've handled in stores. The wingtips and longwings look quite good as well. Worth checking out I think, for something below the full-grain, Goodyear-welted, leather-soled category.

Comment

@greg_s

It's usually the heel of my foot. Usually that area of the shoe will wear down very quickly.

Comment

There may be things you can get put on the heel to make it wear down less quickly (I forget the name). The beauty of a shoe like Allen Edmonds is that they will do a full resole for about $90.

Comment

I'm in CO and just contacted the AE Outlet in Ohio so I might pursue that 2 for $200 deal.

Even though they may be discontinued, it'll be good as my first nice dress shoes.

Thanks for the help folks.

Comment

amathew - You might be the perfect candidate for Topy - a piece that adheres to the sole and extends the life. Or taps - metal edges that would last for ages. If they impair mobility or make noise, you can forget about it, but it's worth checking out.

Comment

Amathew:

I'd recommend just mixing up a few basic shoes for your rotation:

1. Black park avenues (plain cap toe)

2. Brown fifth avenue (quarter-brogue cap toe)

3. Walnut or burgundy McAllister (full wingtip)

Definitely get toe and heel taps - they help a lot. I absolutely destroy the outer edges of my soles somehow.

Imagine this but 3x worse:

Comment

Working...
                              X