Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thinks so. Pretty sure it's the plum one on their site. Really nice in person.

Comment

A few weeks ago I wore a purple gingham RL button down, RL navy linen pants, and walnut Mcallisters to Sunday funday. Probably the most compliments I've gotten at once.
      I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Comment

Yeah it wasn't out yet that I recall. I may have still been a tiiiiiny bit afflicted from all the wine and cocktails at the party though (wasn't driving).
        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Before I answer this, I think some background info is pertinent. I live in a very casual and rugged city and work in a casual retail environment. It's no coincidence that Duluth Trading Co. and Duluth Pack reflect the city and people who live here. My workday style is built around the two colors of my employer. This is limiting, though recently we've been given latitude when it comes to incorporating plaids, etc. Suits, sports coats and ties are not a major part of my wardrobe.

So, limited by color, I show my style by wearing unique shirts as layering pieces, especially in the fall and winter. My two favorite resources for these are Hammer Made, a shirt retailer based in the Twin Cities area, and JC-RT plaids. The shirts I get from these retailers are limited, which means I don't see others wearing the same shirts. The details, like the hand cut tailoring of JC-RT, are not always seen, but just knowing they are there, gives me confidence.

By far the two shirts that have gotten the most compliments are the "Birds of a Feather" shirt from Hammer Made, and the "Out of the Blue" shirt from JC-RT. I'm not afraid of color, and both shirts show that. Birds of a Feather has a small colorful feather print on a white background. Layered, you only see a hint of the pattern on the collar and cuffs, but that has been enough to draw numerous compliments. "Out of the Blue" is from the JC-RT mixtape collection, inspired by the ELO album of the same name. Plaid is my favorite color, and this one is my most vibrant. It's perfect for layering, and standing alone.

One thing I will admit is that neither of these companies are budget friendly. However, if you watch for sales, you can get a unique shirt, with great details, for a reasonable price. I balance the price out by wearing Target Goodfellow chinos. The athletic fit work for my body type, and are reasonable enough to allow me to have a few different colors.

Comment

I wore a this coat with a white t-shirt and stan smiths and seemed to get compliments from all sorts of people.

http://apac.suitsupply.com/en/coats/...tml?cgid=Coats
            Best,
            Paul

Comment

Originally posted by phsiao08 View Post
              I wore a this coat with a white t-shirt and stan smiths and seemed to get compliments from all sorts of people.

http://apac.suitsupply.com/en/coats/...tml?cgid=Coats
              Two suits get me compliments: S&M Big Blue Check three-piece (https://www.spierandmackay.com/blue-...orary-fit.html) and my khaki cotton twill Banana Republic two-piece.

I think it's because both are relatively unusual. Even in summer a tan/khaki suit stands out, and a three-piece in a bold pattern (with subdued colours) is a rarity.

Comment

Indeed, louder pieces are likely to elicit more comments. That said I would keep my boring navy blazer if that was the only one I could keep. Also, I have got rid of a some-sort-of-pastel-green shirt that got compliments because it wasn't versatile.

Comment

My grandfather's WWI era naval pea coat always gets compliments. The fit is true slim (oddly for the piece), so much that it looks great unbuttoned also. I recently had it professionally cleaned and had all new buttons sewed on with official naval pieces.
                  Heavy as hell and warm.
                  We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Comment

Not that surprising that it's a slim fit...the average guy was a lot skinnier back then.
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

As a reminder, people will often compliment anything that stands out - even if it is tacky.

For me I'd probably say my most complemented items are:

- maroon grenadine tie
                      - light blue gingham shirt
                      - basically anytime I wear a blazer at all in casual contexts

Comment

i live in a stylistically backwards college town- basically any time I wear a suit or sport coat because: 1. They are tailored to fit me so I'm not swimming in my own GD clothes. 2. My daily uniform is not a pair of dad jeans and an Ill fitting university t-shirt with those God awful new balance that every dad in America seems to own or if you're younger here Work out shorts or Khaki shorts with some sort of stupid long sleeve sport short or button down down buttoned all the way to the top paired with low top vans and knee high socks.

Everyone here dresses terribly, and I hate it, I hate it with an ardent, vitriolic passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Useknifeonly View Post
                          Everyone here dresses terribly, and I hate it, I hate it with an ardent, vitriolic passion.
                          Curious. That can be a good thing, no? I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the men who dress/work downtown where I am dress terribly. I only have to look around the office environment where I work to confirm that. And even then, I'd bump that number up to 95% in my office.

I don't hate it though. Dressing nice/stylish sets me apart from the masses. In fact on Friday I was told that "You are looking pretty stylish today, even considering it's casual Friday". Not to mention being in a video conference call with the big boss and a vendor. After getting off the video call the boss's comment was something along the lines of "well I don't know what their technology guys does over there, but we can agree that our technology guy (me) is certainly better dressed."

For me, I don't mind the lack of stylish men around my city. Plus it gives me something to silently judge when walking down the street

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                            Indeed, louder pieces are likely to elicit more comments. That said I would keep my boring navy blazer if that was the only one I could keep. Also, I have got rid of a some-sort-of-pastel-green shirt that got compliments because it wasn't versatile.
                            That's the thing, the pieces which get compliments for me aren't loud, just less common.

A navy suit with dark blue check isn't loud - see https://www.spierandmackay.com/blue-...orary-fit.html and I can't see a solid tan suit as loud (can a shade of beige ever be loud?).

It's really the contrast to uniformity which surrounds it, rather than the piece itself which attracts attention.

Goes back to the stand out quietly mantra. I'll go for pieces which are just different enough, while still fitting in with the sartorial environment.
                            Last edited by Galcobar; October 11, 2017, 08:35 PM. Reason: Autocorrect doesn't like beige

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                              Curious. That can be a good thing, no? I'd hazard a guess that 90% of the men who dress/work downtown where I am dress terribly. I only have to look around the office environment where I work to confirm that. And even then, I'd bump that number up to 95% in my office.

I don't hate it though. Dressing nice/stylish sets me apart from the masses. In fact on Friday I was told that "You are looking pretty stylish today, even considering it's casual Friday". Not to mention being in a video conference call with the big boss and a vendor. After getting off the video call the boss's comment was something along the lines of "well I don't know what their technology guys does over there, but we can agree that our technology guy (me) is certainly better dressed."

For me, I don't mind the lack of stylish men around my city. Plus it gives me something to silently judge when walking down the street
                              Dont get me wrong, I do appreciate being able to stand out a little in terms of being a notch or 12 better dressed in most settings, but man do I love seeing people pull off really unique or stylish looks, or just being better put together. When the Mrs. and I head out DC to visit her parents, it's just nice to see other people wear things that dont look like they just pulled it out of a PACSUN bargain bin or their dad's suit collection from the 80's. I appreciate the effort I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                                That's the thing, the pieces which get compliments for me aren't loud, just less common.

A navy suit with dark blue check isn't loud - see https://www.spierandmackay.com/blue-...orary-fit.html and I can't see a solid tan suit as loud (can a shade of beige ever be loud?).

It's really the contrast to uniformity which surrounds it, rather than the piece itself which attracts attention.

Goes back to the stand out quietly mantra. I'll go for pieces which are just different enough, while still fitting in with the sartorial environment.
                                I agree. The two shirts I mention that get a lot of attention, might be considered loud by some. However it is how I wear them that attracts the attention. You see just a hint of my Birds of a Feather shirt, and that's enough to draw the compliments. Knowing that my shirts are unique, or have great details, also breeds confidence, which draws compliments.

I guess my style is reflective of me. I am an introvert who uses clothing to help break out of that shell. It helps me at work, and in social situations. I guess that is the definition of personal style.

Comment

Working...
                                X