Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tungsten ring by Benchmark. Maybe 6mm?

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I'd be curious the average age of individuals as I think certain designs and materials depend on the age (or when they got them). I'll be married for 7 years come this October and am currently 33.
    35, married 8 years.

I also avoided all the trendy metals just incase I ever had an injury and wanted them to be able to easily cut the ring off. They had to do that for my dad and I'll never forgot the DR telling us he wouldve lost his finger if they couldnt cut his gold band off.
    I don't know about titanium, but tungsten and ceramic are both easy to remove because they're brittle. Actually cutting tungsten would be really difficult, but you can crush it with a vice with little effort. Of course, I still take mine off if I'm working out or building anything or generally doing anything that has increased risk of finger injury. That doesn't eliminate the risk but reduces it.

Comment

Very interesting to see such a variety in wedding bands. A few follow ups:

(1) [MENTION=2055]greg_s[/MENTION] mentioned that he uses a silicon for working out, chores and traveling -- does anyone else do this (i.e., have a 2nd ring for certain things) or know of others that do this?

(2) Did you take into account what color(s) your SO's engagement ring and/or wedding band is as well?

I'm leaning toward traditional gold varieties (yellow, rose or white), probably pretty standard shapes and minimal designs, but am still debating all of it.

Comment

I have a $60 Etsy ring. My wife bristled when I suggested we order three just in case because it was so cheap. It's titanium with two stainless bands running through. I love how light it is compared to tungsten or other popular materials and has proven to be pretty resilient 8 years in (I'm 37). I hardly notice it and I never take it off. My wife's ring looks nothing like mine, not should it given how exponentially more expensive it was [emoji39] I also don't know anyone close to my age that has the traditional good ring like my parents.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Doug Chalkey; August 28, 2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
          I don't know about titanium, but tungsten and ceramic are both easy to remove because they're brittle. Actually cutting tungsten would be really difficult, but you can crush it with a vice with little effort. Of course, I still take mine off if I'm working out or building anything or generally doing anything that has increased risk of finger injury. That doesn't eliminate the risk but reduces it.
          Yes, I was worried though it would happen somewhere they wouldn't have the vice. Just didn't seem worth the risk to me but that is a personal decision (and my propensity for injuries ).

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] our rings match in color but she went platinum. We did take it into account because we wanted them to be similar but not matching. She did match her band to her engagement ring though. My only recommendation would be to try them on. I get we are in an online world but it's so different to see a decision online versus trying them on to include different thicknesses, the comfort bands, colors etc.

I've thought about a second band (one of the silicon ones) but at this point in time I don't see the need. I know I'm married. My wife knows I'm married. When I take off my ring to go to the gym or play hockey it doesn't really change anything. Often like wearing a watch it feels weird when I don't wear one for a few hours.

Comment

I'd be curious the average age of individuals as I think certain designs and materials depend on the age (or when they got them). I'll be married for 7 years come this October and am currently 33.

I avoided yellow gold because that's what my parents have and it seemed outdated. I wanted a tattoo with the date since I don't wear my ring when I lift or play hockey. The wife vetoed that one. I also avoided all the trendy metals just incase I ever had an injury and wanted them to be able to easily cut the ring off. They had to do that for my dad and I'll never forgot the DR telling us he wouldve lost his finger if they couldnt cut his gold band off.
            I am 31, married 3 years now. I initially bought my wife's engagement ring in white gold and my SIL told me my wife wanted yellow gold so I had the setting remade for yellow. We both have basic yellow gold wedding bands. Though when buying the bands, somehow I got 18kt and my wife 14kt which matches her engagement ring. The metal is noticeably softer and I have bent my wedding band playing with it. I lost weight so my band easily slides on and off.

I have this picture in my mind of my late grandfathers hands that I see when I look at my hands. He always had yellow gold and I wanted the same.

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post

(1) [MENTION=2055]greg_s[/MENTION] mentioned that he uses a silicon for working out, chores and traveling -- does anyone else do this (i.e., have a 2nd ring for certain things) or know of others that do this?

(2) Did you take into account what color(s) your SO's engagement ring and/or wedding band is as well?

I'm leaning toward traditional gold varieties (yellow, rose or white), probably pretty standard shapes and minimal designs, but am still debating all of it.
            My wife and I have matching metals. We do not have separate bands for anything special. My MIL had a fake engagement ring made for traveling but stopped wearing it at some point.

Comment

This was a little spendy but I figured it was something i was going to wear for the rest of my life, it might as well be nice. 7mm Palladium (not the white gold pictured, Plladium is slightly darker which I liked)

Did not really take my wifes choice of ring into account when purchasing. We both agreed that it was insignificant for them to match or be similar in any way.

Comment

1. I don't know anyone who does this. I travel with my wedding ring. (Why wouldn't I?) And I don't work out or typically do chores wearing my ring and that's fine. My wife doesn't expect that I wear a ring 24/7. I do generally wear it when I leave the house.

2. No. I don't think the bands need to match. If we wanted them to match/coordinate, neither of us would have had a band we actually like. My wife has a white gold band with inset diamonds that coordinates with her engagement ring. I didn't want white gold and definitely didn't want a bunch of diamonds. She didn't want something so simple (nor tungsten).

Originally posted by Doug Chalkey View Post
                I love how light it is compared to tungsten or other popular materials and has proven to be pretty resilient 8 years in (I'm 37).
                I love how absurdly durable my tungsten ring is. The weight is barely noticeable (it's only a few grams, after all) and after cleaning it looks brand new. I used to drive a WRX with an aluminum shift knob and thought it was scratching my ring. Then I remembered that aluminum is way too soft to scratch tungsten and realized that the aluminum was actually scratching onto the ring and just needed to be cleaned off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrbrownie00 View Post

This was a little spendy but I figured it was something i was going to wear for the rest of my life, it might as well be nice. 7mm Palladium (not the white gold pictured, Plladium is slightly darker which I liked)

Did not really take my wifes choice of ring into account when purchasing. We both agreed that it was insignificant for them to match or be similar in any way.
                  That's it! That's my exact same ring! Crazy!
                  "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

We also camp a lot and/or are near MN Lake Country. And I generally like to do hands on/handy type things. I like wearing a ring quite a bit so it was my idea to get the silicon rings. My wife's ring is a very old family heirloom and is irreplaceable so we both just wear silicon when we travel.

We both have white gold rings, but less so because we felt the need to match and more that it is the metal I wanted and her heirloom ring was already white gold.

Edit: 30 years old and married 3 years.
                    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Titanium with meteorite inlay. Needs a cleaning/buffing.
                      Turning 31 in two days, married 3 years, together for nearly 12.

Comment

White gold with yellow gold inlay.

I am not a big jewelry guy, so I wanted something minimalist but with a little style. Found this one on etsy. It was pretty inexpensive, not that I was opposed to spending some money on it, it just happened to be the one I really liked.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                          That's it! That's my exact same ring! Crazy!
                          that's cool!

Comment

I have a very thin platinum ring from a brand that I won't mention (but we all know). Honestly it just looks like a washer.

Comment

1) No, I don't have another ring for working out. I just take the one I have off, do my workout, and then put it back on. If some honey wants to chat me up at the gym, fine. But in all honesty I'm normally there to workout and not spending a lot of time chit chatting with randoms.

2) No. Both of us independently wanted white gold rings. Her rings are quite different from mine with multiple diamonds, settings, etc. I wanted a simple band. So there is no matchy matchy going on.

Comment

10mm Tungsten here

Late 30s. Known the Mrs. since 2001. Went exclusive in 2008. Married 5 years in October.

Wife has a matching, smaller wedding ring to offset her engagement ring.

Comment

Working...
                                X