No announcement yet.

Goodfellow & Co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got back from Target and I'm really impressed with the chinos. My first impression is that they're better than other brands selling for twice as much. They have tapped seems and the seat construction is sewn like a pair of trousers. I ended up getting a pair of athletic fit. If you're concerned about the upside down triangle look, size up several inches in length. Since they're tapered, hemming off 4 inches will result in a large hem circumference.

Comment

Reviving this thread just to note how pleased I am with the several pairs of Goodfellow pants I’ve acquired recently. I’ve been doing a massing cycle to build muscle recently and after gaining 10-12 lbs most of my casual pants have become rather snug. I wanted to pick up a few pairs of pants that were a little more comfortable but didn’t want to spend a lot of money since I anticipate cutting and losing most of the weight again in the near future.

I grabbed a few pairs of flex jeans and chinos from Goodfellow and am very happy with them. The chino material is soft and not paper thin and has held up so far in the laundry. The jeans (I got grey and wheat colored) are similarly soft and relatively substantial. I found a good fit by sizing down (30x30) in the straight fit chinos and sizing up (32x30) in the slim straight jeans. I can fit the 32x30 slims as well but those become rather aggressively tapered for my tastes. My store has a few athletic fit chinos but I didn’t try them since the straights worked so well for me. There are some consistency issues across fits and sizes (e.g. I tried a pair of burgundy chinos in the same size that were too big, and one of my pairs of jeans fits noticeably more relaxed than the other pair in the same size) but it’s basically what you would expect from a brand in this price range.

As an added bonus for my purposes, all the pants I got (and most of the pants they sell) are in stretch material, which means better comfort/fit and no perceptible shrinkage in the laundry.
      Ben

Comment

I bought a pair of the $40 SLIM STRAIGHT SELVEDGE pants, which from what I could tell, are decidedly different from the regular $28 pants.

From what I can tell, the only selvedge Goodfellow Co Selvedge jeans are these Slim Straight ones, where the stretch pant versions come in four or five fits, different colors, and different materials.

These normal pants were all stretchy, and made in Mexico.

These ones were made of fairly good (for the price) Selvedge Denim, in Bangladesh, and in my view of notably higher quality.

These pants seem to be quite nearly of comparable quality to my Uniqlo Selvedge Straight/Slim Jeans.

My biggest gripe is that the slim/straights just barely fit me right now, and if I gain any weight then i'm not going to fit in them at all! HAHA. We will see.

The features on these jeans are as follows:

-These jeans all have a button fly, which I really like, and you may or may not.
        -These jeans have slightly longer pockets than i'm used to on jeans.
        -these pants have those selvedge end things in the cuff like you would expect.
        -there is a little leather patch on the back that says goodfellow and co or whatever.

I think these pants have very good finishing quality.

There is some little bedtime story on the insides about pants...

The Insides of the pants, where often on a pair of department store pants the bad manufacture becomes apparent, a lot of neat work seems to have been done.

The little jeans logo patch is a bit of a letdown. I think i'm going to remove it. It just feels like cardboard, we'll see once they get washed some day.
        Last edited by evanparker; December 3, 2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

I think these buttons, the trim around them is well finished too. I was surprised to see it look alright.

Comment

First one is the Goodfellow's, my opinion is that the cuff edge on the Uniqlo's (second pic) is better, but it still looks solid.

Comment

and the last one i'm going to post, the oddly long pocket, with interesting tapered seams. A real jeans person would say to me that this is some reference to some historical pair blah blah or something like that maybe. I have no idea *shrug*. just seems a little odd to me.
              Last edited by evanparker; December 3, 2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

I've bought a few of their things.

The Chinos are pretty great. On part with Old Navy or maybe even a tad nicer, and the regular price is about where ON ends up on sale. Only gripe is that not all colors come in all fits. The straight and athletic work great for me (I'm a larger guy) but the skinny doesn't.

The flannels are pretty nice for the price. Not super heavy, but that's advantageous if you are layering.

The henley is a little scratchy.

The shawl collar is kind of a cheap feeling knit. It's pretty thin(again, advantageous for layering) and almost feels more like a sweat shirt at first. It is better after a few washings. Not awful, but I ordered it and probably wouldn't have bought it in person. It also seems to run a little big, even by my standards

'

Comment

I have two of the shirt jackets, the tan canvas bomber and the navy shawl collar cable knit cardigan. All are good for the price and seem sturdily made. The fit seems odd on some items and just off by a size on others so definitely try them on in person if you can.

Comment

I will agree with the recent additions to this thread since I have been pleased with the Goodfellow and Co. jeans and chinos I have bought. The burgundy chinos I own, look good, and have gotten numerous compliments. The athletic fit, with the slight amount of stretch, allows these pants to appear modern, and youthful, while still being age appropriate for someone staring down retirement.

I bought a few flannel shirts on Black Friday, and have yet to wear them, so I can't comment on how they hold up in the wash, etc. But for someone like me, whose favorite color is plaid, I like that the options are both basics like Blackwatch, and Buffalo Check, or more modern, almost tonal, soft plaids.

Like others have noted, there are hits and misses in the line. Full disclosure, as someone who wears too much red and khaki, I cannot comment on sales, etc. But what I've heard, and seen, makes me smile.

Comment

I've been impressed by the chinos which with their nice finishing details and good fit do not come across as cheapies at all. I wound up getting several more pairs in different colors. My only nitpick is the belt loops seem strangely narrow.

I love the selvedge jeans which strike me as a real bargain. The non-selvedge stretch version is pretty good too in the plain dark wash. To my eyes the wear patterning on the distressed jeans is too brushed on looking.

Regarding the jeans rear pockets, they're about 1/4" longer than the pockets on current Levis 501s, and the tapered stitching looks to me like a slightly toned down tribute to the 501 stitch pattern. Interestingly they're the same length as the pockets on a pair of Lee Modern Series jeans I own.

I really, really like the unstructured chino sport coat. I probably wear it more than my other sport coats combined. It's perfect with a pair of jeans for running errands or whatever. Only complaint is the slightly long sleeves and functional buttons at the cuff, as has been discussed. I got the long version in the Big & Tall section to get a little more length in the body to avoid the slightly chopped look of the regular. I did notice a strange size difference between the navy and olive versions. The medium tall olive I tried was freakishly longer in both the body and sleeves than the medium tall navy (which added about 1/2" to the sleeve and 1" to the body compared to the regular).

Gonna have to check out that wool overcoat. Hard to beat $79 if it's decent.

I think Target has a done a great job with the Goodfellow line. I hope they're being rewarded with good sales.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                        I bought a pair of the $40 SLIM STRAIGHT SELVEDGE pants, which from what I could tell, are decidedly different from the regular $28 pants.
                        Or now, the $30 Slim Straight Selvedge jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
                          and the last one i'm going to post, the oddly long pocket, with interesting tapered seams. A real jeans person would say to me that this is some reference to some historical pair blah blah or something like that maybe. I have no idea *shrug*. just seems a little odd to me.
                          I think perhaps the pocket design might have to do copyright issues. In the states, you can't copyright clothes, but you can argue that pocket stitching patterns can be copyrighted. Levi has sued companies over that. My guess is that Goodfellows is just trying to to be creative.

I also believe longer back pockets are in trend right now.

Comment

Originally posted by ryn View Post
                            I think perhaps the pocket design might have to do copyright issues. In the states, you can't copyright clothes, but you can argue that pocket stitching patterns can be copyrighted. Levi has sued companies over that. My guess is that Goodfellows is just trying to to be creative.

I also believe longer back pockets are in trend right now.
                            longer back pockets fit bigger phones at least

Comment

I typed a post and apparently didnt hit send. I tried on the henley's and liked them well enough. the softer material was nice. Will pick a couple up because I think they are on sale right now.

Comment

The slim cargo pants are on sale at my Target, however the fit is a bit awkward. I needed to go up a waist size and the legs are more slim than usual. The cargo pockets snap closed. So far, I like them.

Comment

Working...
                                X