Goodfellow & Co

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingtopher View Post
    Any chance you have a photo of the shirt jacket? I saw something kind of like that from another poster over on Reddit I think and it looked nice but now I can't find it again.

I'm looking forward to checking out the line this weekend. I'm not expecting miracles, but another source for Gap/Banana Republic/J Crew Factory-esque clothes would be more than welcome. Since I've gained a few pounds recently and am finding some of my shirts a bit tight, I wouldn't mind picking up a few inexpensive casual button ups to tide me over until I can lose those few pounds again. A couple of the items in the lookbook and on the preview page also look very nice. The one I really want to try on because I like the look of it so much is the pocket cardigan:

I really want to see that sweater in person. The original announcement showed an olive green one that I want to pick up.

Comment

My local Target had the entire collection on the floor for sale today. The henleys were nice, but when I unfolded a medium, it looked too wide. The chinos and (selvedge) jeans looked to be good buys for $30. Some of the outerwear felt cheap. I didn't see any sweaters or cardigans.

Comment

Just got back from my Target. They were setting up shop, so the pocket cardigan wasn't there, but just about everything else was. And, overall? It's a win. The overall fit theme is "true to size, but forgiving," if that makes sense. Button-downs felt like they had just enough room in them to be comfortable without being either a sack or skin-tight. Henleys felt good on me, but I'm more broad-shouldered/chested, with some weight put on that's in the process of being taken off, so YMMV. Same for pullovers and hoodies. Didn't see any jeans, but chinos fit well and had a nice amount of stretch to them, kind of on par with the Old Navy built-in flex pants. My legs are a little larger, and I usually wear slim pants, but in these, slim was just about skin tight-I could make out my knee caps in these! So regular is probably a slim for a lot of folks, sort of like the Old Navy flex max jeans. Big winner for me was the plaid flannel chore coat, which is more of a soft canvas than flannel. It's oversized, meant for layering, but doesn't fit like a sack, which is fantastic-a good three-season option. Another winner even though I can't wear it at my current weight is the deconstructed blazer. It's super forgiving, with a good amount of stretch-I think it's made out of the same stretchy material as the chinos. The color is darker than the site-it's a good military olive drab color, which I love. The usual suspects are at play here-it's unlined, except for the sleeves, which have a slick lining. The fit is pretty good for a cheap blazer, except for the sleeves, which are-you guessed it- just a touch too long. If you layered a sweater or something under it, it's probably fine, but you may want to get them tailored for year-round use. HUGE dealbreaker on these is that they have - wait for it- functional buttons, which I know will give a lot of folks heartburn.

They were putting out hats and socks when I was there, looked like some cool sock patterns and hat materials. Hats were the usual bro fedoras (high crown, short brim), so I'm not their target audience, but the material looked a step up from their usual hat materials.

I'd say approach the shoes with caution. They fit well, but not a non man-made material to be found. Prices for the chukkas are $45, but you can pick up Clarks desert boots for $54 most days anyways.

What did I miss.....they have the usual basics like tees and baseball shirts, plus sneakers and pajama pants, of all things. Looks like a solid collection overall, with some surprising finds to be had. And this is just the stuff they had on the first truck-can't wait to see what else they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Brown View Post
          I'd say approach the shoes with caution. They fit well, but not a non man-made material to be found. Prices for the chukkas are $45, but you can pick up Clarks desert boots for $54 most days anyways.
          Can you clarify what you mean? In clothing and shoes, man-made materials (poly, nylon, fake leather, etc) typically means lower quality. Natural materials like cotton, wool, and leather are desired.

Comment

Originally posted by batkins9 View Post
            Can you clarify what you mean? In clothing and shoes, man-made materials (poly, nylon, fake leather, etc) typically means lower quality. Natural materials like cotton, wool, and leather are desired.
            Sorry for the (in hindsight) odd phrasing . I mean the shoes don't even break down WHAT material they're made from, instead labelling them as "100% man-made material." Not a great route for footwear.

Comment

Nice review [MENTION=16237]Robert Brown[/MENTION] thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Brown View Post
                Sorry for the (in hindsight) odd phrasing . I mean the shoes don't even break down WHAT material they're made from, instead labelling them as "100% man-made material." Not a great route for footwear.
                Gotcha! Yeah, that's not a good sign for their shoes. Fortunately, I have no need for more shoes at the moment (though among them is a pair of Clarks bushacres by which I'm not too impressed).

Comment

I'm pretty sure the reason so many jackets have long-assed sleeves and functional buttons is that they think we're all going to fold the cuffs back like the trendy people do.

Comment

I stopped by a Target to pick up some batteries before Harvey blew into town and my sort of ghetto local store had a bunch of stuff out.

NOTES: All shoes felt incredibly cheap. Like clearance at Payless bad. Materials on others felt generally good. Finish and details were far better than expected at Price Point for most clothing.

This is big...rise on all pants was HIGH. Like at natural waist, almost touching belly button high.

Standard fit shirts felt more like slim or even extra slim from other makers, BUT arm holes are too low for the fit, and if you have any lats/delts, they're going to look fine, but feel tight.

I tried on:

Khaki chino: slim straight
                    Navy Chino: Straight
                    Green Shirt: Small Standard
                    Brown Jacket: small
                    Grey Trouser: slim
                    Slevedge Denim: slim straight 32 (did not have a 30)
                    Stretch Denim: 30x30 athletic straight
                    Wheat Flex Denim: Slim

The slim pants were very slim, but coupled with the high rise, fit really funny around the crotch, and there was a real potential that someone might able to tell my religion at a glance.

Sizing on the pants felt maybe slightly more vanity than most, but I so rarely wear pants at my natural waist that I could be wrong. I'm normally a 30 in most brands and a 31 in Gustin. I would need a belt to hold a 30 up in these, but a 28 would have been too tight. The selvedge Denim felt nice--maybe right below Uniqlo quality and a mid weight that would be nice in Texas climate. Stretch items felt on par with BR Factory versions I own.

Crappy dressing room photos to follow.
                    Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                    Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                    --Jason Isbell

Comment

Brown Jacket Size Small

If this hadn't felt tight in the back to me, I might have picked it up. It's not as nice as my Gustin field jacket, but it was $35
                      Last edited by BillN; August 26, 2017, 03:20 PM.
                      --Jason Isbell

Comment

Green Shirt in Small Standard. My store didn't have any slim fit shirts, but I can't imagine how slim they'd be if this is the standard fit. For reference, 5'7" 148lbs, 38s (sometimes 36s). My best fitting dress shirt is CT at 15.5/33 Extra Slim Fit

--Jason Isbell

Comment

Grey Trouser in 30x30 Slim Fit

--Jason Isbell

Comment

Khaki Chino in 30x30 Slim Straight

--Jason Isbell

Comment

Navy Chino 30x30 Straight Fit

--Jason Isbell

Comment

Selvedge Denim in 32x32 Slim Straight (One size larger than I would wear)

Lotta Room in the Seat:

--Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                                X