Just a simple white shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a simple white shirt

I'm a pretty fair-skinned Hispanic guy, but I'm not lily white. And it's pretty obvious whenever I wear a white button-down shirt. I always wear an under shirt (for a couple of reasons -- nipple visibility, sweat stains). But the contrast between a white under shirt and my skin tone is really apparent under the button-down shirt.

What do you recommend for a white, affordable, opaque, modern button-down?

I'm not sure I can help you with the button down, but I'm assuming an OCBD or something with a heavier fabric will work better. I would recommend finding an undershirt that matches your complexion better, so the contrast is not too much. I know they say heather grey works better for caucasians, but it is closer to the skin color.

Comment

That's a good point. Maybe a beige undershirt.

The Express 1MX shirts are pretty opaque but not perfect. I bet Ratio's white twill would be pretty mint. It's $115, but it's custom and would fit you perfectly for years.

Comment

agree on changing the undershirt. I like grey undershirts because it's closer to my skin tone and doesn't show up as much

Comment

Good advice... I'm going to be refreshing my wardrobe this weekend, so I'll see if I can pick up some gray v-necks. Wouldn't want the crew neck peeking out from under a white shirt.

Comment

The gray undershirt idea is worth checking out. It will need to be a fairly light gray unless your skin color is dark.

My favorite OCBD is the Hyde Park from Land's end. It's not no-iron (got it?) so you'll have to decide if that's worth it or if you can go without, but the tailored fit is great, though it's still bigger than the more modern slim fits. Just a good quality shirt. $50, but if you can't wait for a 30% off it would be $35.

Comment

This shirt is great but wait for a sale/coupon:

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-selvedge-poplin-shirt~229826_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::WHI&CM_MERC H=canvas-search-_-Selvedge&origin=search

This undershirt in heather gray:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=12335&vid=1&pid=662988

Read this:

http://www.effortlessgent.com/qa-wha...a-dress-shirt/

Comment

@ OP. I'm assuming you are talking about a button-up white dress shirt. Have you tried some of the nicer 2-ply ones? They'll be a bit more expensive, but they are thicker. Hugo Boss makes a great white shirt. The cheap-o shirts are always going to be translucent. I have a similar problem in that I have tattoos on my arms and need thicker white shirts. As someone else mentioned. Try twill. Wait for Charles Tyrwhitt to run a sale and you can get their white twill for like $40.

Comment

Agree with Juan on the Gap undershirts. I just started using them, and completely converted. Soft and long enough. Since they are undershirts, I had to buy mine much smaller than I would have thought: in medium even though I normally wear XL/48. It needs to be tight to do its job.

Comment

Working...
                  X