This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fedora for pool/beach

I was at the beach today and since I'm losing most of my hair, my poor brain keeper is getting fried. So I need a hat. I hate a ball cap because I feel like it doesn't breathe well in the heat. What do you guys think of a fedora? I sometimes feel like it looks like people are trying too hard. Is this a look for only at the beach? Could it be pulled off at the local pool? Is it best left for vacation only?

Get a cheap paper/straw it linen fedora or a Panama hat (might like that look better if you don't like the fedora). They have cheap ones at h&m and a few other places so if you end up not liking the look on you, you've only spent like $15. I like wearing straw/linen fedoras in the summer when I feel like wearing a hat. I've got a Kooringal seagrass fedora and it's great for keeping the sun of my black hair, which keeps my head cool.

Comment

What most people call a fedora is usually a trilby, which has a shorter brim. I have a straw trilby I use for beaches and resorts. I'd never use it for the local pool as I can just easily go under the shade there, plus it feels more of an athletic/sporty place than for liesure. My default walking around hat is a flat cap.

Comment

Cheap straw Panama unless you want to spend a little more for Kangol or a lot more for something like Optimo.

https://www.kangolstore.com/headwear...on/straw.html/

Comment

Freddy Kreuger looked good in a Fedora.

Comment

If you're considering the ball cap realm still, I'd recommend a trucker style hat.
            The mesh back keeps things pretty well ventilated and you can find any style you want really.
            Doesn't draw any stares and does the job!

Comment

I picked up this hat for my honeymoon (resort in the Caribbean), although I'm confident I paid considerably less than what it's listed for below.

https://ultrafino.com/products/uniqu...nt=26317559875

I was quite happy with it, and it definitely did the trick. That being said, I don't know that I'd feel comfortable wearing it outside of a beach/resort area. That's not to say someone couldn't pull it off elsewhere, I just feel like it would require the right amount of hat swagger (that only toddlers, old guys, and a select group in between seem to have).

Comment

I just get a cheap straw/paper hat for each summer, sometimes two. They get destroyed so I dont go too expensive. I like to have my ears covered and have more breathing than a cap. I dont overthink it, I just go to the store with my wife, put a lot of them on and buy the ones she smiles at. I wear them like tank tops...only when around water or in high heat situations.

Comment

But have you considered: https://68.media.tumblr.com/62541c03...we8xo1_500.png

Comment

i've ordered several hats from www.villagehatshop.com and had great success with them. good prices, great service, enormous selection of all ranges of quality.

i, too, recommend a paper or straw hat, although a true/genuine, high quality Panama is on my bucket list.

Comment

I am wearing a tweed flat cap today for the cold weather, flat cap fits better when driving in a car anyway, but I've been really happy with this panama hat for summer:
                      https://www.villagehatshop.com/produ...lack-band.html
                      I like the wider brim to keep more sun off my face and stay cooler, but a $10 Target straw hat I got while visiting inlaws works just as well for that.

Comment

Straw fedora/trilby is definitely for adjacent to water situations or as seasonally appropriate. Also, get ready to be called Jason maraz by your friends whenever you wear it.

I am not sure what you’re talking about with ball caps not breathing well. They’re literally made for athletes, if they didn’t breathe well they wouldn’t wear them.

Not-straw versions approach trying too hard territory. But who cares?
                        I itcomes from the fact that you could do a bucket hat, flat cap, baseball hat, five panel, military style hat, visor, or bicycling hat, before you got to more niche hats. Who cares though? Wear what you like and what looks good.

Comment

Working...
                        X