Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thoughts?

    My Bro-in Law just bought this outfit...
    What do you guys think?
    Any changes/recommendations?

    *Other than having the jacket cuffs, and length shortened.

    Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LordDoubleyou; July 26, 2017, 10:02 AM.

    #2
    By outfit, you can't possibly mean he bought those jeans to be part of it, can you?

    The jacket is just too large overall, he should size down. I would never attempt to have the overall length of a jacket shortened. Yes, the sleeves are way too long. Also those lapels are too skinny of my liking. Finally, by the fabric, that looks like a suit jacket as opposed to something meant to be worn with different pants/trousers.

    Was there something else you were looking for a comment on?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Spex View Post
      By outfit, you can't possibly mean he bought those jeans to be part of it, can you?

      The jacket is just too large overall, he should size down. I would never attempt to have the overall length of a jacket shortened. Yes, the sleeves are way too long. Also those lapels are too skinny of my liking. Finally, by the fabric, that looks like a suit jacket as opposed to something meant to be worn with different pants/trousers.

      Was there something else you were looking for a comment on?
      Mostly agree.

      - Jacket is too long and CAN'T be shortened without throwing off the whole jacket's proportions;
      - Jacket sleeves are too long (you know that);
      - Jacket is clearly an orphaned suit jacket, not a blazer;
      - I would basically never wear those jeans with a blazer (unless it was a brown/gray tweed blazer with elbow patches and this was Autumn in Cambridge, MA, and he was an adjunct professor); they look reeeeal incongruous;
      - I think the boots don't go; with that jacket, I'd wear something darker (like chocolate brown suede) or lighter and more decorative (like AE Daltons in Walnut).

      I disagree with [MENTION=15502]Spex[/MENTION] about the lapel width; skinny lapels are a choice and I think they're fine on the dude.

      Shirt looks fine.

      I don't like belts with jackets -- I think they add unnecessary bulk -- but I'm in the minority there.

      If I were him, I'd return the jacket and pick up a JCF blazer in a similar fit but Short.

      Comment


        #4
        On reflection: yeah, the jacket is way too big overall. He should size down at least one size, if not two.

        Comment


          #5
          "Doesn't look like anything to me." Am i missing something? I don't see an image or a link and i've tried refreshing a couple times.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Nandyn View Post
            "Doesn't look like anything to me." Am i missing something? I don't see an image or a link and i've tried refreshing a couple times.
            Same, I've viewed this on tapatalk on my phone and in chrome on my pc. No image.

            Comment


              #7
              I'm thinking OP deleted the pic after the first few posts. It shows that it was edited about an hour after the last post where someone could see it (Heirophant).

              Comment


                #8
                Yeah, the link has since disappeared.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hey, now! Us professors don't aways dress so poorly - and adjuncts are so poorly paid and so miserably exploited that they should be cut some slack.

                  Mind you, I do own a grey tweed blazer. No elbow patches on it. I don't love it, though, and should probably sell/donate it at some point.

                  Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                  Mostly agree.

                  - Jacket is too long and CAN'T be shortened without throwing off the whole jacket's proportions;
                  - Jacket sleeves are too long (you know that);
                  - Jacket is clearly an orphaned suit jacket, not a blazer;
                  - I would basically never wear those jeans with a blazer (unless it was a brown/gray tweed blazer with elbow patches and this was Autumn in Cambridge, MA, and he was an adjunct professor); they look reeeeal incongruous;
                  - I think the boots don't go; with that jacket, I'd wear something darker (like chocolate brown suede) or lighter and more decorative (like AE Daltons in Walnut).

                  I disagree with [MENTION=15502]Spex[/MENTION] about the lapel width; skinny lapels are a choice and I think they're fine on the dude.

                  Shirt looks fine.

                  I don't like belts with jackets -- I think they add unnecessary bulk -- but I'm in the minority there.

                  If I were him, I'd return the jacket and pick up a JCF blazer in a similar fit but Short.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                    Hey, now! Us professors don't aways dress so poorly - and adjuncts are so poorly paid and so miserably exploited that they should be cut some slack.

                    Mind you, I do own a grey tweed blazer. No elbow patches on it. I don't love it, though, and should probably sell/donate it at some point.
                    No offense intended! I'd wear the jeans-and-elbow-tweed schtick if I were wandering around Cambridge in mid-October too.

                    And ohhh yes about poor adjuncts. Half my friends are adjuncts and my heart breaks for them.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I got the sense from your first post that it wasn't just that they were jeans but that they were JEANS, which I took to mean dad jeans or something like that. No?

                      My wife's actually going to be an adjunct this year. It's okay for us because I've got a tenure-track job (and am actually up for tenure this year) and she has a part-time contracted position elsewhere, so it may help her transition to something where she doesn't have to commute, as she does now. But it's in general a terrible blot on the moral integrity of the contemporary university that adjuncts are so widely used.

                      Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                      No offense intended! I'd wear the jeans-and-elbow-tweed schtick if I were wandering around Cambridge in mid-October too.

                      And ohhh yes about poor adjuncts. Half my friends are adjuncts and my heart breaks for them.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by srlclark View Post
                        I got the sense from your first post that it wasn't just that they were jeans but that they were JEANS, which I took to mean dad jeans or something like that. No?

                        My wife's actually going to be an adjunct this year. It's okay for us because I've got a tenure-track job (and am actually up for tenure this year) and she has a part-time contracted position elsewhere, so it may help her transition to something where she doesn't have to commute, as she does now. But it's in general a terrible blot on the moral integrity of the contemporary university that adjuncts are so widely used.
                        Yes exactly: they're what I would think of as Garden Jeans.

                        Good luck to your wife and good luck to YOU, up for tenure! That's absolutely huge.

                        Completely agreed that the adjunct system and its pervasiveness are systematized abuse.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          He asked me to take his pic down. That's all.

                          Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by LordDoubleyou View Post
                            He asked me to take his pic down. That's all.
                            Having people critique your outfit unexpectedly can be a rough scenario. It's tough having people be critical even when you're asking for it.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Yea, I did give him some less than flattering feedback (tactfully of course) but he wouldn't listen, then I put it on here to get some unbiased opinions...

                              And it didn't take long before he told me to take it down.

                              Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X