What Are Your Top 3 MOST Verstile Non-Technical Jackets/Coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by connersw View Post
    Harringtons are for old men wearing Newboy caps or for ska punk kids that don't realize they are conforming. I'm neither of those things. I have no idea why they get so much love on here. They bulge around the waist when zipped and are not flattering. If you want a casual jacket in that vein, get a light bomber.
    Harrington's are just bombers with a stand up collar rather than ribbing around the neck hole...not sure what there is to choose between them, especially with regards to bunching in the middle. A good fitting jacket in either style can look good. James Dean isn't an eternal icon of youthful cool because he looked like crap.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

A true Baracuta G9 Harrington has a thick elastic band around the waist that is very strong. When zipped, it bunches up at the waist and the loose fabric hangs over. On a bomber, the elastic is thinner, and you can tuck it up under the jacket or pull it straight.

Obviously, just like with bombers, there are different takes on the Harrington. Like the Gustin version, which is cut straighter with a weaker elastic so that it is not so pronounced. The Gustin varies quite a bit in other ways too, like using canvas fabric which is heavier and drapes better. ASOS also makes a version with just a straight hem (more like a G4) that I actually really like: http://us.asos.com/asos/asos-harring...7&gridcolumn=1 But again, it starts to venture so far away from the original G9, that we start getting into what is just a random spring jacket vs an actual Harrington.

James Dean is famous for wearing jeans and a white t-shirt. About as basic as it gets. He could look good in anything. He wasn't cool because he wore a Harrington in a movie. He was cool because he was cool.

Here is James Dean in a jacket that bunches around the waist:
      Last edited by connersw; July 25, 2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

James Dean is famous for wearing jeans and a white t-shirt. About as basic as it gets. He could look good in anything. He wasn't cool because he wore a Harrington in a movie. He was cool because he was cool.
        I love your stance, here. Mostly because it happens so rarely that someone comes out against one of the "staples" of men's style forums.

FWIW, have a Harrington. Also have New Balance 574s. Sometimes I just gotta "dad it."

Source: Am a dad.

Comment

What Are Your Top 3 MOST Verstile Non-Technical Jackets/Coats

Originally posted by azimmerm View Post
          For me it is my Harrington jacket. I got mine from Gustin and I wear it year round whenever I need a light(ish) jacket. It works with a huge range of styles from casual to business casual. Really, the only thing it doesn't go with is blazers and suits so anything else it is perfect.
          How did you get a Gustin Harrington?

Cant seem to get one online right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like harrington, style-wise. I can't really recommend it because mine is hot in the armpits.

My top 3
            - Navy blazer
            - Field jacket
            - More sport coats!

Comment

Originally posted by Luke Platt View Post
              How did you get a Gustin Harrington?

Cant seem to get one online right now
              They don't have everything for sale all the time. Their model is to pre-sell fewer items at a time.

They'll undoubtedly sell their Harrington again at some point.

Comment

A true Baracuta G9 Harrington has a thick elastic band around the waist that is very strong. When zipped, it bunches up at the waist and the loose fabric hangs over. ...there are different takes on the Harrington. Like the Gustin version, which is cut straighter with a weaker elastic so that it is not so pronounced. The Gustin varies quite a bit in other ways too, like using canvas fabric which is heavier and drapes better.
                The Gustin Harrington does not have weaker elastic. Their elastic cuffs and hem are very heavy. The current G9 is noticeably lighter in the cuffs/hem (and everywhere else). As for cut, the current G9 and Gustin's Harrington were indistinguishable to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Gustin copied the G9 for the pattern.

The Gustin does have heavier fabric that changes the drape and the fit (less give so more restrictive) but the actual cut on mine was identical.

Comment

My three most versatile (not blazer) coats:

1) J. Crew Dock Peacoat
                  2) Land's End Moto jacket in olive (goes with anything casual for me)
                  3) Barbour Bedale

Comment

Working...
                  X