What Are Your Top 3 MOST Verstile Non-Technical Jackets/Coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Are Your Top 3 MOST Verstile Non-Technical Jackets/Coats

I am investing in my first nice jacket and I want you guys opinion on what should be my first go-to to best wear until I can afford to expand my outer wear wardrobe.

preferably keeping it affordable <$300

I live in the Midwest/south so we do experience cold but I can layer if need be so I am looking for jus ta good all around jacket.
    I really like the Gustin American made style jacket but they are sold out so that is not really an option.

Most versatile for work is the overcoat ... even without a suit it's presentable, warm, and works well with a scarf or other items to dress up but meanwhile doesn't look out place with even jeans or chinos. It is nothing special. A $199 version from Nordstrom Rack or somewhere else like that. Simple black with two three buttons and slant pockets.

Most versatile general jacket I have is my JCREW Sussex Quilted Jacket. When on sale (I believe I got it for $140), it is a great mix of style, warmth, useful pockets, and style. It's my go to jacket when not wearing a suit etc.

If those two don't fit the bill then I have a technical North Face fleece that gets a ton of wear for it's simple design and looks, whie warm.

I've been searching forever for a nicer upgrade to my overcoat but I am incredibly picky about how it should fit and not willing to invest the $600+ or so it seems a nice one would necessitate. If I got another one I'd probably get it in a gray or navy blue.

Comment

I wear a suit everyday for work so for me its the overcoat (that I wear everyday in the winter) and a lightweight mac or trench (that you can wear everyday from spring to fall).

Comment

Can't go wrong with a tweed wool overcoat, either with a lapel or a more informal collar. (JC does these every year within your price range on sale.)

Comment

For me it is my Harrington jacket. I got mine from Gustin and I wear it year round whenever I need a light(ish) jacket. It works with a huge range of styles from casual to business casual. Really, the only thing it doesn't go with is blazers and suits so anything else it is perfect.

Comment

1. Barbour Ashby / Bedale: can wear this during the fall, winter, and spring. super versatile, goes with pretty much everything.
            2. Some type of Peacoat (Schott, JCrew, Billy Reid, etc.): goes with dress pants and jeans, a bit more casual than an overcoat or top coat and assuming you're not wearing suits all the time, a bit more versatile.
            3. Harrington jacket: works great with casual outfits. Easiest spring / summer outfit, sneakers + jeans + t-shirt / henley + harrington.

I think overcoats and trench coats are great, but definitely skew more towards the formal end of the spectrum. Overcoats in general have a lower button stance compared to other coats / jackets, so they look better if you have a tie on underneath or if you're wearing a scarf. I wear an overcoat to work, but for more casual outfits and jeans I'm definitely reaching for something else (Ashby, peacoat, or a bomber jacket).
            Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I 2nd [MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] though I would change the Harrington for whatever casual jacket you like. I have a lightweight shell jacket I use. Also I live in Nashville and do not own an overcoat as a suit jacket or sport coat will do with a scarf over top.

If you are going to invest in a Barbour, I would search in store to try them on. My wife said she likes the look of the Beaufort better than the Bedale when I tried them on but it really depends on your style. You can usually find most styles on sale at some point though colors may vary. Beaufort's rarely go on sale in Sage or Olive.

Comment

I agree with this. I wear a insulated waxed cotton field coat (Belstaff knockoff Land's End produced a few years back) pretty regularly. Pea coats/deck jackets are pretty much always in style - seriously, I'm 48 and I can not name a single decade since I've been born when a good fitting pea coat wasn't in style. I also like wool overshirts/shirt jackets - they function as a more rugged version of a cardigan indoors, or as a light to medium jacket out doors, and layer well under a heavier jacket in the winter. Not for the midst of winter though, except as a layering piece.

Harrington's are great - or if you prefer something without a stand up collar a bomber (lets face it, a Harrington is basically a bomber with a stand up collar). For warmer weather casual wear I tend to gravitate toward denim chore coats or trucker jackets or twill/canvas field jackets.
                “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                  1. Barbour Ashby / Bedale: can wear this during the fall, winter, and spring. super versatile, goes with pretty much everything.
                  2. Some type of Peacoat (Schott, JCrew, Billy Reid, etc.): goes with dress pants and jeans, a bit more casual than an overcoat or top coat and assuming you're not wearing suits all the time, a bit more versatile.
                  3. Harrington jacket: works great with casual outfits. Easiest spring / summer outfit, sneakers + jeans + t-shirt / henley + harrington.

I think overcoats and trench coats are great, but definitely skew more towards the formal end of the spectrum. Overcoats in general have a lower button stance compared to other coats / jackets, so they look better if you have a tie on underneath or if you're wearing a scarf. I wear an overcoat to work, but for more casual outfits and jeans I'm definitely reaching for something else (Ashby, peacoat, or a bomber jacket).
                  Agree with this 100%. Especially on the on the Ashby/Bedale/Beaufort/etc. One of the few coats that can pull double-duty with either a jacket/suit or with casual wear. Not terribly warm on its own but it's reasonably waterproof, wind resistant, and if you need extra warmth you can get a zip-in insulating liner. You can also get button-in hoods for extra protection from the elements.

If you are rarely in a jacket/suit, then something like a Harrington, bomber, or field jacket would be a good alternative for a "meh" temperature jacket.

For real cold, a pea coat is a great idea, especially a slightly longer one. Again, this can pull double-duty with business attire or casual wear, the double breast adds a bit of extra warmth, it should have enough length to cover a jacket, and a good high-quality pea coat will have a stiff enough collar that you can pop it up to protect your face and neck from wind and precipitation.
                  Ben

Comment

M-65 field coat
                    Pea Coat
                    Barn coat or Deck jacket

Comment

Wool car coat.
                      Quilted shirt jacket.
                      Barbour-style waxed cotton jacket.

Comment

If by versitile, you include wearing over a suit, then a basic Mac or a trench coat is probably the most versatile you're going to get. One coat will go over a sweater+denim+boots or a suit. You can get models at all price points. A single breasted wool overcoat in a tweed can be versatile, but might be too warm depending on the climate. Peacoats work this way also, but if you get one with insulation it will be very warm.

I like Harringtons, but I don't think they work over suits. I find that a Harrington makes a great travel jacket instead of a sportcoat.

I have a couple of waxed cotton jackets, and I don't think they're very versatile in transition climates. Just a hint of exertion (say a brisk walk) in not-super-cold weather can turn the interior into a swampy mess.
                        Mark

Comment

Quilted jacket in Navy or Olive Green. Barbour Chelsea or Boden Quilted.

Mountain Parka in Black. Uniqlo on the cheap side or Nanamica to go all in. You could put a Mac coat here, but I prefer having a hood in the rain.

Wool Overcoat in Camel. Lots of options, but I would make sure it's 100% wool. J.Crew off eBay is probably the best value.

All three of these jackets can be equally dressed up or down.

Harringtons are for old men wearing Newboy caps or for ska punk kids that don't realize they are conforming. I'm neither of those things. I have no idea why they get so much love on here. They bulge around the waist when zipped and are not flattering. If you want a casual jacket in that vein, get a light bomber.

Comment

Doesn't look like an old man to me:
                            https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...from-uncle.jpg

Same goes for Statham, Craig, and Bradley Cooper when they wear their Harringtons. I actually think quilted jackets look quite unflattering. I was disappointed when Stephen Amell's Oliver Queen wore one on Arrow as he's usually quite stylish.

Comment

Originally posted by julius12 View Post
                              Doesn't look like an old man to me:
                              https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...from-uncle.jpg
                              Great pic of showing how it bunches at the waist.

If you can pull off that entire fit without looking like you're going to a Halloween costume party, then I'd be impressed.

Comment

Working...
                              X