Blended wool as a seasonal fabric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blended wool as a seasonal fabric

Good morning! I was shopping over the weekend and found a really nice looking LBM 1911 blazer that was a 45% wool, 55% linen blend. Can this type of blended wool be worn year round, or is strictly a spring/summer fabric? I'm in Dallas, where we only get a few weeks of true winter, so I'm sure it will still be useful, but I don't want to commit a fashion faux pas. What do y'all think?

I would have no problem wearing it year round in Houston. 100% linen might not work, but I plan on wearing my S&M wool/linen suit all year.

Comment

Originally posted by MIS997 View Post
      Good morning! I was shopping over the weekend and found a really nice looking LBM 1911 blazer that was a 45% wool, 55% linen blend. Can this type of blended wool be worn year round, or is strictly a spring/summer fabric? I'm in Dallas, where we only get a few weeks of true winter, so I'm sure it will still be useful, but I don't want to commit a fashion faux pas. What do y'all think?
      It's absolutely appropriate year round, with a couple caveats:

(1) Literally no one except people who're very into textiles will be able to tell whether the fabric is seasonally appropriate. Even they might have trouble depending on the fabric weave.

(2) The fabric weave is just as important to seasonality. Is it a really loose hopsack weave? Then it will look and feel more appropriate in high temps (and also look less formal). Is it a tighter twill or similar? Then it will probably look just fine year round.

Also, you live in Texas. Speaking as someone who lives one state over, it's never cold enough that 100% linen is totally out of the question. A wool/linen blend should work perfectly.

Comment

I was in west Texas last December and it was significantly colder than New York.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
          I was in west Texas last December and it was significantly colder than New York.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          It happens...we've had 17 degree days in December, but we'll also have 80+ degree days in February. The only guarantee is that it will be hot all summer

Comment

It happens...we've had 17 degree days in December, but we'll also have 80+ degree days in February. The only guarantee is that it will be hot all summer
            I was in Houston in January once for a wedding and it went from subfreezing to 80+ in a week! I agree with the above -- fabric color and weave will be more important in the seasonality of the coat than the material...
            Mark

Comment

Thanks guys. It's definitely a looser weave, but the pattern itself doesn't scream "summer" to me. Here's a pic:

https://imgur.com/a/iyxQC

Comment

houndstooth is always a good year-round pattern. I'd say you're good to go without fear.
                https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Thanks guys. It's definitely a looser weave, but the pattern itself doesn't scream "summer" to me. Here's a pic:

https://imgur.com/a/iyxQC
                  Yeah, you're all set. That'll play year round.

Comment

Though remember, stay out of Orthodox synagogues with it; your blazer is shaatnez, and I'm pretty sure a dope blazer doesn't qualify as a ritual garment.

Comment

Originally posted by Hierophant View Post
                      Though remember, stay out of Orthodox synagogues with it; your blazer is shaatnez, and I'm pretty sure a dope blazer doesn't qualify as a ritual garment.
                      Haha, wow! Learned something new today. Also, picked up that blazer. I had a feeling that if I waited, Rack was due for another 25% clearance. Ended up picking it up for $240, and another one for $250. Pics below. The gingham is a super light 100% wool. LBM has mastered the deconstructed blazer!
                      https://imgur.com/a/UvlQ0

Comment

Haha, wow! Learned something new today. Also, picked up that blazer. I had a feeling that if I waited, Rack was due for another 25% clearance. Ended up picking it up for $240, and another one for $250. Pics below. The gingham is a super light 100% wool. LBM has mastered the deconstructed blazer!
                        https://imgur.com/a/UvlQ0
                        Looking good! Also isn't that cool about shaatnez? The best part is rabbinical scholars can't agree why it's shaatnez; they're neatly divided on whether the ancient Israelites thought it was too barbarian or too holy. I say fuck it; linen and wool is a dope blend.

Comment

Working...
                        X