Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resoling Boots with Different Soles

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I just brought a pair of AE Long Branch Boots on eBay. The soles *look* fine ans I intend to get as much use out of them as possible. My question is once I decide to send them back to AE for re-crafting, can I specify a different sole to be put on? They have the Vibram Commando soles now but the Long Branch uppers are dressy enough that I would consider having them re-soled with a typical AE leather sole.

Thoughts on this? Possible/not possible?

Thanks!

-S

Definitely possible
    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

I know the options for sole from AE can vary a bit depending on the shoe, but I think it's a good bet that you'll have some choices when you decide to do the recrafting.

Comment

If AE won't do it, an independent cobbler can.

If you want a sleeker sole, there is always the option of a Vibram/Dainite sole with a lower profile than the heavy duty lugs that, IIRC, come standard on the Long Branch.
        Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          If you want a sleeker sole, there is always the option of a Vibram/Dainite sole with a lower profile than the heavy duty lugs that, IIRC, come standard on the Long Branch.
          That's exactly the type I was thinking when I posed this question. Dainite seems to provide grip while maintaining a low profile.

Comment

I've definitely read that the Long Branch can not take a vibram commando sole, but that was a while ago. Maybe they can do it now? I'm not sure. If you email AE, I'm sure they can tell you.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the vibram gumlite lugged sole that comes with the Long Branch and a traditional hard rubber commando sole. Gumlite is very soft and comfortable and it does wear pretty well. I've had my pair of Long Branch boots for a couple years now. I wear them several times per week and they are just now getting to point where I'm thinking about resoling.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
              If you email AE, I'm sure they can tell you.
              Definitely contact AE. I'd recommend giving them a call as in my experience they can be pretty slow responding via email. I asked them the same question a while back about mine as I was curious and I'm fairly sure they said that for an additional charge they can resole the shoe with any of their current sole offerings (leather, dainite, vibram etc.). I ended up selling mine instead as I realized I wore my other boots far more often.

Comment

I've definitely read that the Long Branch can not take a vibram commando sole, but that was a while ago. Maybe they can do it now? I'm not sure. If you email AE, I'm sure they can tell you.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the vibram gumlite lugged sole that comes with the Long Branch and a traditional hard rubber commando sole. Gumlite is very soft and comfortable and it does wear pretty well. I've had my pair of Long Branch boots for a couple years now. I wear them several times per week and they are just now getting to point where I'm thinking about resoling.
                Thanks for pointing out the difference between Commando and Gumlite. I looked and you are correct.

I will definitely contact them when I get the boots and decide whether to resole right away or wait (likely will wait).

Do you think the Long Branch could pass as a dress boot with a different sole?

Comment

[MENTION=16804]JamWithSam[/MENTION] They work with a sport coat, but I would say they're too casual for a suit. I usually wear mine with a sweater, button down shirt, and jeans.

Comment

[MENTION=16804]JamWithSam[/MENTION] They work with a sport coat, but I would say they're too casual for a suit. I usually wear mine with a sweater, button down shirt, and jeans.
                    Couldn't agree more. Adding a leather sole to them would help a little but IMO not enough to push them into the same realm as say, the First Avenue boot.

Comment

Definitely possible

Comment

If you're looking for an AE boot that works better with a suit, it's hard to go wrong with the Dalton.
                        https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                          If you're looking for an AE boot that works better with a suit, it's hard to go wrong with the Dalton.
                          Agreed. I basically live in a suit and Daltons six months of the year.

Comment

Working...
                          X