Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New soles

Hi everyone,
    I just got my loafers resoled by a guy locally here in town. These are Oakstreet loafers, Goodyear welted. First time I've had a pair get new soles. I got them back and at first glance they look good. But on a second look, the threaded channel is further in than I remember. But also, I can sort of push back the leather at/around the toe box to reveal what appears to be glue. I don't remember seeing this before. I've attached pictures to try and show what I'm talking about.
    Is this okay? Or should I take these back to the guy and have him fix/redo these.
    I'm posting from my phone so I can't figure out how to embed the photos.

Thanks in advance

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hk3vb6qlwi...%2021.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/brwm9olil4...%2038.jpg?dl=0

I do not know enough about the specific construction about "Oakstreet loafers" to comment on the workmanship.

Comment

Glue is still used in GYW shoes. The welt allows easy resoling but there is glue in there unless they are handwelted.

Comment

Man, I dunno. That looks a lot like the sole was glued back on, not restitched.

Comment

Caveat: I'm no expert by any means. That said, it almost looks like he may have blake stitched the sole, and then used glue to hold the upper down to the original welt. Did he replace the insoles as well? if not, my theory is probably out. If he did replace the insoles as well, you could pull them up and see if the stitching is visible underneath, if that makes any sense.

Additionally, their loafers don't seem to be goodyear welted. I did a search on their site and "goodyear" only came up on their boots and bluchers. Typically companies tend to shout it from the rooftops for marketing purposes if their shoes are, in fact, goodyear welted. When looking at their loafers, they specify "Hand-stitched moccasin construction."

Comment

Working...
          X