Would you wear this suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you wear this suit?

I have come to the conclusion that my Kenneth cole pinstripe three button suit with single-pleated, cuffed trousers is not going to sell. Right now, I only have two others - one charcoal gray and one navy suit, both two-button, no pleat in the trousers and more modern cuts.

A question for the Dappered readership:

Would you keep the suit, maybe to wear to the occasional funeral? Or maybe I should just feel good and donate it to a charity that gives suits to jobseekers? It really does fit well, but pinstripes -- I feel like a banker or something.

More photos on eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/112470862077

Thoughts?

Originally posted by carlitos View Post
    Would you keep the suit, maybe to wear to the occasional funeral?
    No way. You have a charcoal suit that would be more appropriate for that. If you don't like the suit and can't sell it, donate it.

Comment

I would donate, partly because of the pattern, but more because of the 3 button front/lapel.

If it was a 3 Roll 2, I might be more on the fence, but that lapel just feels dated to me.
      Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
      Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
      --Jason Isbell

Comment

Would donate.
        Ben

Comment

Donate

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
            I would donate, partly because of the pattern, but more because of the 3 button front/lapel.
            Agreed, 3 button front/lapel dates it more than the pattern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks all.

I agree--my last regular 3 button went to goodwill after I saw one in a 15 year old Law and Order episode.

Comment

Once something becomes sufficiently dated, it comes back as classic. Is this in that zone, dunno.

If you really don't feel right when you wear it, then don't force yourself...
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                  Once something becomes sufficiently dated, it comes back as classic.
                  This is not remotely true. Just because fashion tends to be cyclical and self-referential doesn't mean that everything becomes "classic" once it gets old enough. Some things just stay dated.
                  Ben

Comment

Didn't actually say "everything", but fair enough... leisure suits probably aren't coming back as "classic".

Lots of stuff does, though. The early 1960's mad men look... and prep has come around a couple of times... and roomier trousers are returning... and Ray Ban Wayfarers have come back two or three times... and knit ties returned in the 1990's, and now they're classic... and Persol 714's... and Clarks desert boots...

but, yeah, probably not leisure suits. Probably not pastel Miami Vice wear, either. Or Members Only jackets...

My original point was that even if it IS classic, if it doesn't resonate with you, it's best to move on.
                    Mark

Comment

Members only jackets were definitely back last Fall.

Comment

Working...
                      X