Black shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black shoes

Ok, so it seems that many folks on various style and clothing website are not fans of black shoes, often derided as "boring.' Fair enough, but if you had to have a pair of black shoes is there a particular style (e.g. "saddle shoe") or even specific shoe (e.g. "McCallister") you would get? I am not talking about the "funeral/interview" Park Ave type cap-toe, but rather something I could wear a couple of times a week to work (with sweaters, chinos, and the occasional tie). Just looking for some ideas/opinions, thanks.

I'd go with a black wingtip derby. I had a pair of AE Players short wings that were awesome. I wore them with dark jeans and odd wool trousers. I don't think black shoes looks good with chinos but that's just me.

Comment

I've had some black Chelsea boots for going on 5 years now and love them. I have my pants go over the boots so they are shoe like in appearance.

Comment

Second black Chelsea boot for more casual wear, goes with almost everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
          I'd go with a black wingtip derby. I had a pair of AE Players short wings that were awesome. I wore them with dark jeans and odd wool trousers. I don't think black shoes looks good with chinos but that's just me.
          Agree with this. AE has offered some black shoes in the past that had a lighter contrast sole, and I always thought those would be the black shoes I buy if i ever wanted a casual pair. This is the closest thing it seems they have now (not sure I'd want all that blue)

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/me...1&prefv1=Black

Comment

I'd suede it up if you could to get rid of the "dour" feel but yeah, I like the idea.

Comment

Black shoes with chinos are a tough combination. Black boot (Chippewa style or Chelsea - i don't like chelseas myself) can work in this setting but more so with denim casual than tie casual.

For non interview but office environment, I like (love) black tassel loafers, black wingtips (Jefferson AE) and even long wings.

Comment

I have black AE Sanfords (blucher Strand) that I wear with jeans or grey cotton pants occasionally. I usually wear them when I'm wearing mid or dark grey wool pants, with or without a jacket. AE has a black grain PTB with a light sole but I can't remember the model name at the moment. They would work more casually than my Sanfords.

Comment

I feel like black shoes can be worn with grey chinos without looking bad. Admittedly, I don't wear black shoes often, I think they get a little too much hate in online forums.

Comment

Many thanks for all the suggestions so far. I really like the idea of something with a contrast sole. I appreciate the Chelsea boot recs, but just something about Chelsea boots . . . I don't know . . . just not me I guess.
                    I'd never heard the thing about black being difficult to pair with chinos. Would black shoes with navy chinos be a no-no? I've read that chinos are 100% cotton--what would you call pants that are made of other materials (besides wool)? Slacks? Dress pants? Are pants from man-made material like polyester a faux-pas? Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Black single monkstraps, like the AE Warwick.

The only black shoes I own are AE Park Aves and AE Lexingtons. I very rarely wear the Lexingtons; I only bought them because they were under $200, I needed black cap toe, and Park Aves were not on sale.

Comment

Cap toe double monks. I got a pair from BR a couple years ago just because they were cheap, thinking I would only wear them occasionally. I wear them all the damn time. They basically replaced my black Chelseas in my rotation (though I still pull the boots out occasionally in the fall/winter). Had a pair of wingtips and never wore them.

Technically, you could wear black shoes with navy chinos; however, brown shoes would look better. Especially since navy chino tends to fade with age, a pair of navy chinos could look too casual with black shoes (that's generally the issue with chinos and black shoes). All my pants are either 100% wool, 100% cotton, or some linen blend. It's not that polyester is a faux-pas, it's that it looks cheap, doesn't breathe, and it ages poorly. When you can get wool pants for the same price with some hunting & waiting, it's better to get wool.

Comment

Black shoes with navy chinos look mostly bad.

Polyester pants are not good as said above. However sometimes (rarely) a blend of wool/poly can work fine. Luxire has such a fabric that has great reviews.

Chinos are all cotton pants of a certain structure. Trousers have different structure/cut and can be of many types of fabric (wool, linen, cotton, cashmere or blends with silk, mohair, etc).

Navy chinos or trousers are demonized online because of their inability to easily pair with sports coats. Although I don't share that view, I do agree with they are not as versatile in a tailored (i.e. Sports coat/tie) setting, as gray/brown/olive. However, in a smart casual setting (no sports coat and no tie, e.g. With a shirt and/or sweater), navy chinos can work fine. In that outfit, I would wear them with brown/merlot calf/suede loafers (no tassels here), chukkas, longwings or plain tow bluchers. Also split toe bluchers would work very well but I don't have any (yet; next planned shoe purchase). Definitely not black.

Cheers

Comment

black double monks are my interesting black shoes

Comment

Originally posted by SwiftToole View Post
                              I'd never heard the thing about black being difficult to pair with chinos. Would black shoes with navy chinos be a no-no?
                              I personally would wear black shoes with navy chinos but that's just me. I had an opportunity today actually to buy a pair of great condition used AE black Sanfords (same kind that winghus mentioned above) but had to pass on them because I was buying two other pairs at the same time. My wife would've shot me if I came home with 3 more pairs of shoes. Unfortunately the black ones didn't make the cut but if I was single they'd be in my possession right now.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X