Summer Rain Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer Rain Jacket

I am looking for a rain jacket for the summer. Ideally something to wear when it is hot out and raining. I don't have a car, so it is kinda important. I was thinking something long would be good for me, because I could easily walk an hour in the rain. Also, something that would go with a suit as well as causal would be good.

Sounds like a mac jacket would be your best bet. The Gap companies I think have one or two, as does JCrew (or JCF maybe?). If i'm suited or smart casual I'll just use an umbrella, and if I'm casual-casual, I just wear my Multicam GoreTex from my last paid long vacation.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

If you're going to be out walking for an hour in the rain you probably need a waterproof breathable performance shell like Gore-Tex or eVent. Anything else will get soaked, or leave you soaked in your own sweat. Stick with simple designs and solid dark colors to maximize style versatility, but yeah... it's not gonna look the best with a suit, and may not be long enough to cover a suit anyway.
      Ben

Comment

Do you plan to use an umbrella? If not, don't bother with a mac. Your head will be soaked and the jacket will soak through as well.

I agree with LBD that you probably want something goretex or equivalent.

How much do you want to spend?
        http://veilance.arcteryx.com/product...l=Monitor-Coat

Comment

Jcrew's mac jacket was on sale for more than it is now (got it for 60 bucks) but I'm a pretty big fan.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...c-jacket/E8564

Comment

Originally posted by Bobbumman View Post
            Jcrew's mac jacket was on sale for more than it is now (got it for 60 bucks) but I'm a pretty big fan.

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...c-jacket/E8564
            "Bonded layers of cotton"? Doesn't that mean no breathability? Rough for summer use.

Comment

In my experience, things come as a trade off. For example, if something is breathable, it's not waterproof. I'm with you completely on it being rough, but after a certain point you just need the lightest cover you can get without sacrificing style.

Or you can sacrifice style and get it even lighter.

It can be good, it can be cheap and it can be stylish, it's really hard for something to be all three.

Comment

Goretex is waterproof and reasonably breathable. There are fabrics that are far more breathable but slightly less waterproof. (e.g. http://www.patagonia.com/product/men...ket/83565.html)

Personally, if I were going to spend an hour in the rain on a regular basis, I'd definitely give up "stylish" first. I'd probably choose breathability over perfect waterproofness most of the time, and especially in the summer.
                [MENTION=13155]ryn[/MENTION], where do you live?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                  If you're going to be out walking for an hour in the rain you probably need a waterproof breathable performance shell like Gore-Tex or eVent. Anything else will get soaked, or leave you soaked in your own sweat. Stick with simple designs and solid dark colors to maximize style versatility, but yeah... it's not gonna look the best with a suit, and may not be long enough to cover a suit anyway.
                  I'd definitely recommend eVent and other newer air permeable membranes. They breathe a hell of a lot better. I do a lot of backpacking and hiking and they've always been great to me. It's very important though that you keep the surface fabric clean and only use detergents like atsko sport wash so that you don't ruin the DWR on the surface fabric. Once the nylon of polyester wets out, the breathable membrane won't be off much use. If mostly to wear with suits and such, why not a Mac or trench and an umbrella?

Comment

If you don't want the "technical look" there are a few packable gore-tex Macintosh jackets out there. Google is your friend.... For what its worth, you might be fighting a losing battle anyway. When it is raining, the humidity is generally 100%. If the temp os in the 80's and tou are walking a mile, sweat is pretty hard to avoid...
                    Mark

Comment

I remember Brooks Brothers is clearing out a bunch of their new fabric linen blend breathable, waterproof raincoats. They might fit the bill, and yes, it's BB, so will look presentable.

Comment

Arc'teryx Veilance

https://veilance.arcteryx.com/Produc...&activity=Wind

probably their inhouse 2 layer laminate , so not goretex unless you go into their technical shells, or you have to go to their fall/winter Veilance line. Still, if it's Arc'teryx, then it's likely with very detailed construction.

Will probably be ok over a suit. Much better protection than any Mac or trench coat. Far more comfortable, light, and higher performance.

Comment

I also think that macs are not ideal for walking an hour in the rain.

I recently picked up the green ("vintage fatigue") version of the J. Crew mac when it was going for $62.50. But I'm not sure I'll keep it, as I don't love the color or shape. Then again, it's a good price for a pure cotton mac.

BR's grey wool mac would to my mind be the ideal "affordable" mac, but it kept selling out. If any returns crop up in my size, I'll definitely jump on them.

BR did just introduce another mac that's a cotton/nylon blend and is available in a shade of khaki and in olive. I'll be interested to see Joe's review of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X