Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How good (or bad) are Bar III slim fit wool suits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good (or bad) are Bar III slim fit wool suits?

Thoughts?

I have a couple of these - I'm pretty skinny, and they're one of the few brands at that price point which fit me decently well off the rack.

They're probably fine if you buy them on sale (< $250), but as I've become a little better-informed about suits and menswear in general, I've come to the conclusion that the shoulders are too padded, the suit itself is too heavily lined, and the fabric is a little too shiny/not great quality overall. Probably ok for a first suit, but in retrospect it's probably worth spending the $100 or so extra to go Spier and Mackay or SS.

Comment

I would agree with Tacitus' final sentence. Save up and spend a little more on S&M or Suitsupply's blue line. The difference is substantial; much better quality fabric, and better attention to detail on both. Right now S&M has a lot of stuff on sale; you could very well pick up one of their slim fit suits (depending on what exactly you're looking for) for not much more than the price point of the Bar III, if not cheaper in some cases.

(in case you're not familiar, S&M is shorthand for Spier and Mackay, www.spierandmackay.com and SS is shorthand for SuitSupply (add a dot com on the end of that one as well))
      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

If you need a suit off the rack in a hurry, they aren't a bad option. Otherwise take the advice above.

Comment

Working...
        X