X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bms00
    replied
    Originally posted by srlclark View Post
    the big chains - Gap, H&M, all the women's fast-fashion chains, perhaps J. Crew - might be priced out of business
    I think the department stores are in trouble, but Gap and the other companies that make their own clothing have a chance to come out stronger as more retail moves online. They don't need to grow sales. just keep the same sales. If they do that, online shopping is a big plus since it allows them to cut expenses by operating fewer stores as more orders come online.

Leave a comment:

• Amon-Rukh
    replied
    It wasn't the most exciting sale, especially for clothes. I felt at one point like that whole section of the site just disappeared into a weird limbo of nothing but underwear and hideous shoes. I did get a pair of Goodthreads ocbd, but am probably most excited about the art supplies I picked up.

Leave a comment:

• srlclark
    replied
    I'm not a member of Amazon Prime. I rather dislike Amazon because of their tax-avoidance and monopolistic ambitions (Bezos says his intent is to make it so that everyone who doesn't have Prime is being irresponsible).

But on their threat to retail, it seems to me that they are at least potentially better for smaller companies than they are for the big brick and mortar chains that themselves threaten the small companies. Think about what happened with book stores: the local ones were folding left, right, and center because of Barnes and Noble, Borders, and the like. But Amazon pretty much drove the chains out of business, while some of the local stores have thrived via second-hand sales on Amazon and the reduced general competition. If Amazon does start to up its game for clothing, I guess something similar might happen: the big chains - Gap, H&M, all the women's fast-fashion chains, perhaps J. Crew - might be priced out of business, but the smaller designers we like might do better, either because they could sell stuff on Amazon (as, say, Allen Edmonds already does) or because they'd have reduced brick and mortar competition (I can imagine this happening for, say, SuitSupply).

Then again, I'm not in business and I don't follow it closely at all, so this is all speculation.

Leave a comment:

• batkins9
    replied
    [MENTION=13722]Alex.C[/MENTION] [MENTION=15101]armedferret[/MENTION]
    http://m.quickmeme.com/img/71/71448a...336b74948b.jpg

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by BillN View Post
    I thought that was your popular ATX BBQ line reference. I just get some folks together and preorder if I get a hankering for Franklin. That line is brutal.
    Preorder kills the experience. :P

Work has me in San Antonio a few times a year and play finds me near Paducah now and then. I make Franklin a staple whenever possible.

Leave a comment:

• BillN
    replied
    Originally posted by armedferret View Post
    I live in Maryland so if anyone is visiting me, they wont be eating Franklin.
    I thought that was your popular ATX BBQ line reference. I just get some folks together and preorder if I get a hankering for Franklin. That line is brutal.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by BillN View Post
    Dude. You let the people visiting you wait on line at Franklin.
    I live in Maryland so if anyone is visiting me, they wont be eating Franklin.

Leave a comment:

• BillN
    replied
    I picked up a fire HD 8 for 50 bucks. Only use will be watching downloaded TV shows on flights or waiting in line at a very popular Austin BBQ joint, maybe a lil web surfing when i'm at home and don't want to fire up my laptop (or risk personal info being stolen off my phone at an airport).
    Dude. You let the people visiting you wait on line at Franklin.

Leave a comment:

• BillN
    replied
    Originally posted by Rawfull View Post
    So far I'm not really impressed with most of the deals. Considering purchasing a Sous Vide cooker as there are some on discount. I did buy some treats and a couple of new toys for my dog though, so that's something.
    I have the Joule. It will change your life.

Leave a comment:

• Alex.C
    replied
    Because I'm bad at memes, this is all I could come up with...

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
    A 32 in would be more reasonable IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Alex.C
    replied
    With respect, isn't the appropriate response to get a 42-incher for the bathroom?
    A 32 in would be more reasonable IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• SaWuttae
    replied
    I bought some of the good threads shirts. 3 different fits so I'll see how they are. They are surprisingly about the only ones besides CT shirts to make 15.5/37.

Interested in picking up a new casual watch, but don't think I'll pull the trigger today. The citizen eco drive titanium interests me...

Also picked up an Amazon dot and some wifi plugs. And the $25 gift card for $5 credit.

Leave a comment:

• armedferret
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I just ordered one so I can resolve the omnipresent, lazy-person "I want to sit on my butt and watch Netflix right meow but I also want to sit in hot water and melt into the bottom of my bathtub out of sight of my TV right meow" dilemma.
    With respect, isn't the appropriate response to get a 42-incher for the bathroom?

Leave a comment:

• amg1016
    replied
    Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
    Retail sales were roughly 8.5% in Q1 '17: https://www.census.gov/retail/mrts/w...ec_current.pdf

This is generally the quoted figure when people discuss Amazon's presence.

Also, as I noted in my comment, Amazon will not be the death of B&M shops, that the commenter was mentioning "hometown, Made in USA", if they have a good business model. People still love the experience of shopping so it will not die, just change.

That's interesting that the numbers are that different. The number I pulled is from Forrester Research which is a research firm that covers the digital space very closely. Their exact number for all of 2016 was 11.7% according to their latest report (Report is "The New Paradigm of Retail" but you need a subscription to access). I'm guessing that part of the gap between the two numbers is that your figure is not factoring in holiday shopping which happens in Q4 and which may disproportionately skew in favor of online sales. Or it's possible online sales simply went down.

I agree with your overall point but was just adding some context to that number because I've run into too many people professionally who use a number like that to discount and or dismiss the major impact that digital is having. Not at all saying you were doing that but more for others that may see that number for online sales and think to themselves "hmm, maybe this whole amazon/internet thing is overhyped"!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X