These shoes, would you buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These shoes, would you buy?

I met an old guy who has a shoe obsession (over 60 pairs or something) and is selling some of his shoes that no longer fit him. He has several barely worn AEs and I just bought a pair of discontinued burgundy Conrad wingtips off him for $70 USD. He also has a pair of black Sanfords. Now I don't have any black shoes and wasn't looking for any but after I've seen how good the condition is of these Sanfords I'm hesitant about passing on them. They're also only $70 USD.

What would any of you guys do? (That might've been a bad question to ask.)

What can and cannot be worn with these?

I keep replaying in my head "no matter how good of a deal something is, if it doesn't get used then it basically a waste".

Somebody help convince me one way or the other.
    Last edited by Amesbury; July 7, 2017, 08:48 PM.

Those are in good condition. However, if getting your one pair of black shoes, I would personally lean toward something more formal, such as a captoe balmoral, instead of a somewhat (all relative, obviously) more casual brogued blucher. Maybe you don't have any need for a very formal pair (since you don't have any black shoes currently), but my thinking is that black shoes would likely be your formal go-to.

Comment

They could be worn with a dark suit or charcoal trousers and and odd jacket. Not as formal as black, cap-toe oxfords, but they could work in most situations. I wear suits all the time and have a pair of black bluchers for when I want something a little less formal. Of course, if you dislike like black shoes, they're useless. If you want to invest in only one pair of black shoes, I would get cap-toe oxfords.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a pair of black Sanfords and I wear them often when doing grey pants and odd jacket. Black is never wrong with gray and navy pants, it's just not iGent approved.

Comment

More importantly in that condition/price, what size and what else has he got?
          Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
          Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
          --Jason Isbell

Comment

Those black shoes aren't very useful, in my opinion, but I'd still buy them for that price.

Comment

How often do you see yourself wearing them? Do you mind used shoes? Personally I don't like used shoes, so even if a good deal I'd pass and wait to find something new or a reason I need them. If used shoes are a good bargain for you and can fit in those look to be very well cared for.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
                Those are in good condition. However, if getting your one pair of black shoes, I would personally lean toward something more formal, such as a captoe balmoral, instead of a somewhat (all relative, obviously) more casual brogued blucher. Maybe you don't have any need for a very formal pair (since you don't have any black shoes currently), but my thinking is that black shoes would likely be your formal go-to.
                Those exact thoughts went through my mind.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                  They could be worn with a dark suit or charcoal trousers and and odd jacket. Not as formal as black, cap-toe oxfords, but they could work in most situations. I wear suits all the time and have a pair of black bluchers for when I want something a little less formal. Of course, if you dislike like black shoes, they're useless. If you want to invest in only one pair of black shoes, I would get cap-toe oxfords.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  Unfortunately I don't get to wear a suit that often; maybe twice a year. Good to hear what you mentioned. Like I mentioned, I wasn't going out of my to look for a shoe like this but because they basically fell into my lap and they're inexpensive, I'm kind of intrigued about how they could be used.
                  Last edited by Amesbury; July 8, 2017, 09:22 PM. Reason: I

Comment

Originally posted by winghus View Post
                    I have a pair of black Sanfords and I wear them often when doing grey pants and odd jacket. Black is never wrong with gray and navy pants, it's just not iGent approved.
                    Yeah I don't think I'd have a problem wearing these with a pair of dark grey or navy chinos I have. I know I probably won't be featured on any blogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                      Those black shoes aren't very useful, in my opinion, but I'd still buy them for that price.
                      Haha you're like the little devil on my shoulder saying "just do it". Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                        More importantly in that condition/price, what size and what else has he got?
                        Just found out this is what he has in 8.5E:

Concord in brown shark skin

Westgate in brown (vibram sole)

Sanford in oak (light brown)

Compton in back (vibram sole)

Sandford in mocha suede

Townley in cognac

Sanford in black

Unknown model split toe derby in burgundy

Yale in charcoal chamois

Instead of the black Sanfords I'm going to consider the "oak" ones. Going to ask for pictures to get a better idea of the condition. Maybe I'll get both. Or the mocha suede ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Amesbury View Post
                          Instead of the black Sanfords I'm going to consider the "oak" ones. Going to ask for pictures to get a better idea of the condition. Maybe I'll get both. Or the mocha suede ones.
                          Those are probably walnut. I had a pair and they saw semi regular rotation until I lost them in a basement flood last week. If I could get them for $70, I'd pounce.

Comment

Got the photos. Condition looks very good and they both have added half soles. Unfortunately I didn't realize the brown leather ones were described as "open weave". I really don't think I'm old enough to wear these haha. Might just go with the black and the brown suede.

Comment

Those Mocha suede are sweet.
                              Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                              Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                              --Jason Isbell

Comment

Working...
                              X