A word of warning about the Allen Edmonds' seconds:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word of warning about the Allen Edmonds' seconds:

As Joe noted, AE is now selling its seconds on the main website, with no phone call needed. And that's a great convenience. But buyer beware!

Usually, when a shoe goes into clearance, the price is discounted. This applies both to firsts and to seconds. For example, the Yorktown at first quality has gone from $395 to $247. However, if you buy the clearance seconds direct from allenedmonds.com, you will be charged the regular seconds price of $299. On the other hand, if you go on to the Shoebank website, you'll see the clearance price of $197. I'd say a phone call is worth saving $102 for! Besides which, it makes no sense to pay $299 for a second when you could get a first for $247.

Noticed similar for the suede Cavanaugh. $217 on AE website and $157 on the Shoebank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I should have been clearer: they are not discounting any clearance seconds on the main website. They are all at the regular seconds price. I hope there aren't too many people who have overpaid for a shoe as a result of this, and that it's just a mistake. I'm discouraged by the fact that even the Shoebank is now saying that a Warwick second costs $299. The Warwick is on clearance, so it should be $197 or lower.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. It's on the main website after all. I'd expect them not to want to discount their shoes too much to avoid damaging their brand.

Comment

Paying 299 for a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
            Paying 299 for a pair of Allen Edmonds seconds is insane.
            It's definitely high, but it depends on what the flaw is. If it's so minor it's not noticeable or discernable when wearing, I'd happily take a $89.00ish discount. But if they have the same flaws as what's available from the shoe bank, then yes, why would anyone pay around $75-$100 more simply because they are listed on the main site? Next time I'm at the Port Washington location I'll make an inquiry into this.

Comment

I went to a factory store at an outlet mall and was absolutely appalled at the condition of what they called seconds. The soles had like holes in them near the stitching that was just stitched over multiple times. It was horrific. I then tried on a pair of boots and the leather was so destroyed, misdyed, and wrinkled it was crazy. ill never buy a pair of seconds from them.

Comment

Agreed. A bunch of their firsts are basically seconds at this juncture.

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post
                  I went to a factory store at an outlet mall and was absolutely appalled at the condition of what they called seconds. The soles had like holes in them near the stitching that was just stitched over multiple times. It was horrific. I then tried on a pair of boots and the leather was so destroyed, misdyed, and wrinkled it was crazy. ill never buy a pair of seconds from them.
                  Wow - I've never seen a shoe in that poor condition from the shoe bank or the Port Washington location. Has anyone else experienced seconds condition like this?

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                    Wow - I've never seen a shoe in that poor condition from the shoe bank or the Port Washington location. Has anyone else experienced seconds condition like this?
                    I hope no one else has and to be honest, i dont know how their reputation wouldnt be tarnished selling like that. I would certainly like to think ordering seconds direct wouldnt be nearly that quality especially since they charge for returns of seconds.

Comment

I've only ordered seconds once, and, to me, it's not worth it. If you can be patient and wait for the clearance plus a sale, you can get Allen Edmonds firsts for 200 or less. Once they mark their current clearance models down another 20%, I'll probably buy a pair of the 1943 last shoes in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
                        I've only ordered seconds once, and, to me, it's not worth it. If you can be patient and wait for the clearance plus a sale, you can get Allen Edmonds firsts for 200 or less. Once they mark their current clearance models down another 20%, I'll probably buy a pair of the 1943 last shoes in there.
                        I've been waiting for an "extra 20% off clearance" blow out, as that would put the $227 shoes at $181.60 and the $247 shoes at $197.60. But I have had some success with seconds before, and the prices can go a lot lower than $200 for them. I got a Neumok and a Kenilworth for less than $100, and a McGregor for $137. True, I got a McAllister first at $157, but honestly I can't really tell the difference between the first and the seconds. If the ones I received were as Neminat describes, then I'd agree, but I haven't had major problems with seconds, and the firsts aren't perfect, either.

Regardless of quality, they should not be charging $299 for shoes from people who only know about the main website, and only offering the discounted $197 price to those who know to look up a different one. That's rather dishonest, in my opinion.

Comment

Regardless of the availability of seconds on the main site, I'd still call a store on shoebank. Their staff is always helpful and sometimes they'll even look at the shoes and tell you what they see before they send them to you. The store in Destin, Fl did this for me over the phone. That pair of "Boone" bucks are among my favorites. I agree that the "firsts" are all really "seconds" at this point. I've ordered 5 different pairs of first, I've have 5 different rounds of multiple return shipments because there is no QC, and I've only kept one of those pairs in the end. However, I'm like 5 for 7 with seconds. For what it's worth, I've had the most success from locations that aren't the main WI location.

Comment

Originally posted by zorro View Post
                            Regardless of the availability of seconds on the main site, I'd still call a store on shoebank. Their staff is always helpful and sometimes they'll even look at the shoes and tell you what they see before they send them to you. The store in Destin, Fl did this for me over the phone. That pair of "Boone" bucks are among my favorites. I agree that the "firsts" are all really "seconds" at this point. I've ordered 5 different pairs of first, I've have 5 different rounds of multiple return shipments because there is no QC, and I've only kept one of those pairs in the end. However, I'm like 5 for 7 with seconds. For what it's worth, I've had the most success from locations that aren't the main WI location.
                            Funny enough the Destin store is where i saw the horrible seconds. Ill be heading back to mirimar beach on sat

Comment

Originally posted by neminat View Post
                              Funny enough the Destin store is where i saw the horrible seconds. Ill be heading back to mirimar beach on sat
                              Nooooooo!!!!... my credibility!

Comment

Working...
                              X