Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

T-shirts and shorts in the summer anyone? Or is it too casual?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't mind the look, but in the name of versatility, I live in wool trousers and shirts all year round. When I have to go to, say the beach, I wear khakis and a polo.

Comment

I suggest nice tank tops from Alternative Apparel and some lightweight trousers. Its an exclusive club but we're expanding.

Comment

Originally posted by edmunder View Post
        I suggest nice tank tops from Alternative Apparel and some lightweight trousers. Its an exclusive club but we're expanding.
        Props for trying to expand the club, enjoyed reading your thread awhile back on the topic.

In regards to this thread: For casual wear when it's in the dead of summer, t-shirt and shorts is generally my second most frequent get-up. My most used get-up is actually a polo and shorts because I like how polos look vs. t-shirts on my thin frame. IMO the difference between polos and t-shirts in the temperature department is virtually nonexistent, unless you're wearing some heavy pique sponge polos. The trick is getting a lighter fabric for the polo like a jersey cotton or a performance fabric. My favorite new find is the performance pique polos from BR, really great feeling fabric in the heat.

If you're sticking with the t-shirt and shorts idea, a nice pair of shorts (in the right length & cut) can dress the look up. Jomers had some really nice shorts roll out recently, and JCrew has had some really nice pairs on sale too. Lighter fabrics in less-baggy-than-usual cuts generally look sharp and feel great.

And lastly in response to the thread title: If it's summer, and everybody is melting in the heat, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone to bat an eye at you wearing a nice t-shirt and shorts in a casual setting (grocery store, baseball game, etc.). Heck, people around here wear crocs and workout shirts with the sides cut off and people barely bat an eye. Wearing a nice t-shirt and shorts you may need to be worried about being too dressed up

Comment

Predominately t-shirt and shorts from the end of June on in DC. It's just too hot and humid to wear a long sleeve for just going out for normal trips etc. Now if going to a bar, restaurant etc. it's definitely a collard shirt of some kind.

Comment

dress to be comfortable in the weather you have. if that's t-shirts and shorts, so be it. just for the love of Chuck, no cargo shorts. i'm pretty sure LBD would ban you for that.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I find that I feel more put-together in my T-shirt/shorts ensembles when I use summer colors. A blue gingham pair of shorts with a burnt orange garment-dyed tee still looks like you care a bit. As opposed to a plain white tee and plain tan shorts.

Comment

My daily uniform is gym shorts and a v-neck t-shirt. That's mostly because I live in Florida and work remotely. The amount of ball sweat you accumulate in this state once you put on anything other than gym-shorts is insane.

That said, if I am leaving the house, it's not hard to throw on "outside" shorts in a jiffy.

Comment

In my part of the world it's always in the 80s and 90s year round. I wear the tee and shorts combo going to the gym, or for a quick in and out at the mall and if I'm not expecting to see anyone I know. The tee and shorts are always well-fitting, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                    I don't mind the look, but in the name of versatility, I live in wool trousers and shirts all year round. When I have to go to, say the beach, I wear khakis and a polo.
                    You wear chinos to the beach? Do you mean chino shorts or are you actually walking around the sand in a pair of long pants?

Comment

If I'm going to the beach and it's hot out, you can bet your sweet bippy I'm rolling up in swim trunks and a t-shirt. Chinos at the beach are for cool/rainy/windy Pacific or North Atlantic conditions or maybe for a beach wedding or something.
                      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        If I'm going to the beach and it's hot out, you can bet your sweet bippy I'm rolling up in swim trunks and a t-shirt. Chinos at the beach are for cool/rainy/windy Pacific or North Atlantic conditions or maybe for a beach wedding or something.
                        ^ This. Agree 100%

Comment

Shorts, v neck on a daily basis as I chase 2 kids

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

J. Crew 9" inch shorts and J. Crew washed slim v-necks are my uniform when I am not at work during the summer. If it is too humid and im just around the house, shirt is optional.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                              You wear chinos to the beach? Do you mean chino shorts or are you actually walking around the sand in a pair of long pants?
                              Long pants, yes. I roll those up walking on the sand. I don't go walk on the shore often enough. I definitely don't go to the water either.

Comment

I feel like this would be a good place to mention the merits of the short sleeve button down and shorts. I know that short sleeve button downs get a bad wrap, but they look great with shorts, or even pants so long as you get them with sleeves that fit. Too often the sleeves balloon out off of your arm. But, good fitting short sleeves are out there. Promise. Furthermore, I fundamentally do not understand the shots with rolled up OCBD sleeves. If it's hot enough to wear shorts, it is certainly hot enough for a short sleeve shirt. To me, shorts and a rolled-up long sleeve looks like it's laundry day, and you were out of options.

Comment

Working...
                                X