Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeans for Cowboy Boots

Hey guys,

I live in Austin, TX, and I have become a huge fan of my Tecovas boots. I have the Cartwright, which is a standard cowboy boot with a 12" shaft and 1.5" heel. The website lists the shaft circumference at 14.5-15.5", and since I am a size 12D, I am guessing mine are somewhere in the 15-15.5" range.

I'm looking for advice on jeans to wear with them. I am normally a 32x34, but I've had no luck with 32x34 in various fits from Bonobos, BR, or J Crew. I also tried a 32x36 in Bonobos straight fit, which was surprisingly a little short and much baggier in the thighs than the slim fit I'm used to. The only thing I have found so far that works is a pair of Levis 513s. The problem with those is that the fits are very inconsistent -- I have two pairs, but one is stretchy and slim fitting, and the other looks good with the boots but is a little baggy in the thighs and waist.

I mentioned my size at 32x34 because I'll likely need either a 34 or 36 length in these jeans. A lot of stuff I've seen online lately comes in only one length -- usually 32 or 33.

Basically I am looking for something that fits close to a Bonobos slim fit in the thighs, but is looser in the calves/ankle so that my boot shaft does not print very much. I'm not looking for true boot cut or anything, just something similar to the Levis 513s.

Any ideas?

I wear Levis 527 for use with cowboy boots, and order one size down in the waist. I don't like straight leg with cowboy boots, however, so this probably won't give you the look you're seeking.

Comment

AG protege work well for a straight fit and slim in the thighs. They fit fairly similar to the 513. I have worn them often with my boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
        AG protege work well for a straight fit and slim in the thighs. They fit fairly similar to the 513. I have worn them often with my boots.
        I'll check them out next time I'm in Nordstrom. They look like they could work. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by Evenflow View Post
        I wear Levis 527 for use with cowboy boots, and order one size down in the waist. I don't like straight leg with cowboy boots, however, so this probably won't give you the look you're seeking.
        I have one pair of the 527s that I bought a few years back. Actually, I may have given them to Goodwill by now. They did fit in the thighs like I'm going for, but they were a little too boot cut for my liking. I think it's because I had a 32x34, and they looked too flared for my captoe boots (Thursday boots, slimmer profile) and too short for the cowboy boots. I may give them another shot in 32x36 and see if they work.

On another note, I tried to order another pair of Levi 513s in 30x34 or 31x34 to try to smaller waist. Turns out they do not make 34 or 36 inseam in waist sizes below 32. That should not be a problem if I try the 527s again -- the 32 waist on the 527s fit fine, much more snug than the 32 in the 513s.

Thank you both for your input.

Comment

Let us know if you find a solution that works for you. I'm interested as well, although my inseam is much shorter than yours

Comment

Didn't Bonobos have a slim fit boot cut jean at one time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah cowboy boots. Probably the most masculine pair of shoes there is. I own three pair myself and LOVE Them, but have struggled with this same issue. The solution for me was as follows: get the levis and get them tailored in the waist. I bought myself some that fit in the thighs but the waist was too big. I got them tailored and they fit great now. I wear the 514s and the calf fit is not an issue with the boots. No obvious boot shaft pressing up against the pant leg. Hope that helps, keep rocking the boots!

Comment

I have a pair of Levis 517 that i wear with my boots. Pretty slim through the leg and roomy enough at the lower end for boots.

Comment

Check out Ariat's jeans. They have a variety of fits from slim to relaxed, but all are made to be worn with Jeans. After my favorite Lucky's bit the dust i went to Ariat for Boot Jeans and they are great!!

La'

Comment

I’m from Nashville and have owned quite a few cowboy boots over the years. AG Graduate work the best. I’ve also got a pair of 7’s that look good (slim straight) My Paige jeans look great with AE’s or SF Pairigi loafers but horrible with cowboy boots.

My general advise is get jeans with a 15.5 inch leg opening for wearing with cowboy boots. 14-15inch leg openings work better for loafers or Wolverine 1000 mile boots. Certain 34 Heritage jeans work too just stay away from jeans that have a leg opening bigger than 16, 16.5.

Comment

I've got a different body type (5'9, with big thighs, etc). My Levi 541's don't fit in the calf, while the 569's are too baggy. Commenting to follow. AG's are super expensive, there's got to be a different solution....right?

Comment

Wranglers? Maybe try a western wear supplier? Just a thought...
                        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by motosacto View Post
                          Wranglers? Maybe try a western wear supplier? Just a thought...
                          I've tried the slim fit cowboy cut Wranglers (slim version of the classic 13MWZ model) and they were still on the baggy side for me.

The JCF Sutton fit jeans seem to work fine for me.

Comment

I wear Wrangler Vintage Bootcut 20X no 42s with mine. A slimmer boot cut, durable and tough and not overly expensive. Some of the best jeans I've ever worn.

Comment

I still haven't had much of a chance to try out different styles. I ordered AE's straight fit, and they fit okay, but the Levi 513s seem to be the best bet I've found so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X