My new Herring by Alfred Sargent Henry II brogues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new Herring by Alfred Sargent Henry II brogues

Is this too much wrinkling for a new shoe, or am I being too picky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calf leather?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DapperTexan View Post
      Calf leather?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
      yessir

Comment

Depends on if they are 2nds, the price paid, shipping, and the hassle. If close to full price AS 1sts...I'd exchange them.

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
          Depends on if they are 2nds, the price paid, shipping, and the hassle. If close to full price AS 1sts...I'd exchange them.
          They were 1sts. All said and done, about $300.00 (after shipping, and after a very modest sale discount). I've never returned anything across the pond before. Not sure if it's a hassle, but I can't imagine it's a breeze. And I agree that if they were seconds, I'd likely just roll with it, but they weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by zorro View Post
            They were 1sts. All said and done, about $300.00 (after shipping, and after a very modest sale discount). I've never returned anything across the pond before. Not sure if it's a hassle, but I can't imagine it's a breeze. And I agree that if they were seconds, I'd likely just roll with it, but they weren't.
            I would check and see what the store offers. My only point of reference is Meermin charging $35 USD to ship here and I don't know the return cost but say it is $35, does that make the sale price worth it still?

Comment

Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
              I would check and see what the store offers. My only point of reference is Meermin charging $35 USD to ship here and I don't know the return cost but say it is $35, does that make the sale price worth it still?
              I've sent Herring the pictures and asked about my options. The sale wasn't the motivating factor, though. I think I'd pay every online retailer 10% more than MSRP if they'd open up the box and send me pictures of the shoes I'm about to buy. No one would have accepted these at a store.

Comment

I own/owned several pairs of AS and they have all been pretty flawless. I'd say these are flawed unless they use lower quality materials for the Herring line.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                  I own/owned several pairs of AS and they have all been pretty flawless. I'd say these are flawed unless they use lower quality materials for the Herring line.
                  Yeah, I had heard nothing but good things about AS, and I've seen the AS for Jcrew shoes. They looked great. These don't. Glad that it doesn't seem like I'm being unreasonable.

Comment

So,

Herring has told me that they don't see a problem with that amount of wrinkling, it is acceptable to them. We at least agree that the discolored spots shouldn't be there. I feel like that amount of leather puckering on a new shoe is not okay (they look worse in person), so please let this post serve as food for thought when ordering from herringshoes.co.uk. It is unlikely that I will buy a shoe from their line again regardless of who's factory it was actually produced in. That said, they are going to exchange the shoes and flip the bill for all the shipping, so that is admirable. However, I don't think that would have happened with out those weird blotches.
                    Last edited by zorro; July 6, 2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zorro View Post
                      So,

Herring has told me that they don't see a problem with that amount of wrinkling, it is acceptable to them. We at least agree that the discolored spots shouldn't be there. I feel like that amount of leather puckering on a new shoe is not okay (they look worse in person), so please let this post serve as food for thought when ordering from herringshoes.co.uk. It is unlikely that I will buy a shoe from their line again regardless of who's factory it was actually produced in. That said, they are going to exchange the shoes and flip the bill for all the shipping, so that is admirable. However, I don't think that would have happened with out those weird blotches.
                      Good to know. I have been thinking of getting the Herring Charlton loafer. I'll look around for something similar. I would definitely be unsatisfied with the pair you received.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bearing in mind that the sticker price is 350 UK, which even with the weak pound is still something like $455, and that even subtracting VAT, they regularly cost 292 UK or $376 without shipping (Herring usually charge 20 UK or $26 for shipping one pair of shoes to the USA), I would say that paying $300 including shipping from the UK to the USA is a pretty substantial discount that you might not easily be able to match. Also, Alfred Sargent is an excellent shoe maker and they are very difficult to come by in the USA: J. Crew seem to have stopped their collaboration with them.

Given that, I would at least look into whether a cobbler can do something about the discolored spots rather than sending them back. I'm not sure you'd easily get such a good shoe at such a fair price. And while the wrinkles are annoying, it's also fair to say that wrinkling like that is inevitable on a shoe within a few months, which is a very small proportion of the life of the shoes.

Comment

Wouldn't be acceptable to me. However, I might consider asking AS to just comp me $50 or something and treat them like 2nds instead of sending them back.

The discoloring though would be a deal-breaker for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X