Starting Out: The Dappered Minimalist Starter Pack for 4 Seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Out: The Dappered Minimalist Starter Pack for 4 Seasons

I know this is a tall order but I was wondering if we could all come together and list just the essentials to get by for each season. Here's a rough example of what I am looking for:

SUMMER [CASUAL]
    -Slim fitted Polo
    -Chino pant (Gap/BR/JCF)/ Chino Short (Target)
    -Athletic Shoe (preferably white: Stan Smith)
    -Basic watch (Timex Weekender)

More examples would obviously be helpful and the list would probably contain a few more items.

I am new getting into the fashion game and realize this is very vague but I am pretty overwhelmed and don't know where to start on a lot of things and wanted just list of "must have items" for each season that I could at least nail down and then expand the wardrobe from there.

Thanks for any/all help.

Where do you live? It would help for winter as that can have a ton of variation. You can get by with chinos year 'round and vary the color, shoes can turn into some boots, polo to OCBD then really it depends on jacket and potential layering.

Comment

This depends so much on your own style and your lifestyle needs. Do you work in a formal office? Then you need suits for every season. Do you work from home? Then you literally only need pajamas and whatever you choose to wear when you go out socially.

Personally, I don't own any polos, a watch, or white sneakers. I wear button ups 95% of the time year round. I the winter I wear jeans most of the time and occasionally chinos. In the summer I wear jeans, chinos, or chino shorts depending on the weather.

If you want helpful advice, you probably need to give more detail on both your own personal style and the external constraints that your clothes need to accommodate.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
        If you want helpful advice, you probably need to give more detail on both your own personal style and the external constraints that your clothes need to accommodate.
        Agreed. It's hard to make one-size-fits-all recommendations because so much depends on the user.

In terms of basic info you could provide, you could start by self-identifying your "tribe" from this article: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/d...ind_yours.html

I don't completely agree with the categorizations, but they'll give you (and us) a place to start.

Having an idea of your budget would help too. You'll have a lot more options if you're saying "I can spend $5000 this year" versus "I've got a couple hundo, what'll it do me?" That said, unless you're good at and dedicated to thrifting, it's hard to build even an entry-level year-round Menswear Wardrobe from scratch for less than a couple thousand.

Comment

There is advice similar to what you are looking for on the Men's Fashion Advice subreddit.

Comment

Navy blazer.

Comment

Multi-season staples:

Suit
              Blazer
              Bomber/Blouson
              Leather jacket
              Field jacket
              Trench coat
              Sweaters
              Dress shirt
              OCBD
              Polo
              Henley
              Tee
              Slacks
              Chinos
              Jeans
              Black oxford cap toes
              Dark brown derby brogues
              Brown chukkas
              Brown boots
              Brown loafers/drivers
              White leather sneakers

Warm weather staples:

Long-sleeve linen shirt
              Chino shorts
              Canvas sneakers

Cold weather staples:

Peacoat
              Topcoat
              Parka

I included a lot of items and there are redundancies in terms of functionality, but of course you should fine tune it to suit your tastes to make it personalized, so pick the ones that appeal to you, remove some, and add others that aren't on the list.

Don't forget to figure out your seasonal color pallette, learn how to color coordinate, and from there plan on which colors to get for outerwear, tops, pants, and shoes so everything will be easy to mix and match.

And most importantly, don't buy expensive stuff when you're just starting out. You will make mistakes, and your tastes will change. Buy cheap first, and as time goes on it will be clear which items you like, and that's when you gradually replace them with better quality items.

Comment

Originally posted by dpark View Post
                This depends so much on your own style and your lifestyle needs. Do you work in a formal office? Then you need suits for every season. Do you work from home? Then you literally only need pajamas and whatever you choose to wear when you go out socially.

Personally, I don't own any polos, a watch, or white sneakers. I wear button ups 95% of the time year round. I the winter I wear jeans most of the time and occasionally chinos. In the summer I wear jeans, chinos, or chino shorts depending on the weather.

Location: I live in the south, Northwest Arkansas to be precise. We see full 4 seasons but primarily warmer weather. Spring is normal, summers traditionally very hot, fall is great and winter gets very cold (0-30 degrees generally) but not frozen tundra with 10 feet of snow.

Style: Occupation is a Business Causal environment (jeans allowed) 5 days a week so you will see below, I have most of that apparel squared off (minus suits/blazers/sport coats). I am a larger guy in build due to working out (5'10", 190) so extremely slim fitted items tend to not work but fits such as grant slim-fit from BR for tops and BR's slim fit dress pants seem to do the trick

Constraints & Goals: Financially constrained, like most I would assume. I am looking to fill out all basic needs of wardrobe (specifically in the outwear, suit, blazer and layering categories) for relatively cheap (think BR when on sale for quality and price as that is my go-to) and then once an item is deemed very useful or demanded an upgrade, go from there. NOT looking for watch, belt, under garment and/or sock recommendations. You will see the price range I like to shop in from the list below.

Current wardrobe:

Casual Shirts
                An assortment of Old navy, Gap and Target crew necks and henley's

Polos
                BR (navy and white)
                Express tech Polo (Navy, White & Black)
                Michael Kors (Navy and Black wash)

Button Ups
                Assortment of BR Grant Sim fits
                Old Navy Slimfits
                (this is pretty built out due to work environment)

Blazers
                1 Navy
                1 Charcoal

Suit
                Currently do not own a suit

Outerwear
                ON Bomber Jacket (black)

Pant
                BR Chino(Navy and Khaki)
                BR Dress Pant (Grey and Medium Charcoal)
                AE Jean (Dark Wash)

Shorts
                Target Merona Chino Club Short (Navy, Red, Gray, Turquoise)

Shoes
                CH Cap Toe (Black)
                CH Oxford (Cognac)
                CH Penny Loafer (Cognac)
                BR Double Monk (Dark Brown)
                Adidas Stan Smith (White/Navy)
                Sperry Top-Sider Salt-Washed Striper CVO Boat Shoe
                Converse Low-Top (White w/ Red/Blue stripe)

Hope this helps and again thank you for all of your help

Comment

Working...
                X