Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer suit

Hey everybody,

I'm in the market for a second summer suit, but can't quite decide among a few options.

My one definitely-summer (but warm weather here in the Nation's Capital lasts well into September) is a BR khaki twill (Joe profiled it here: https://dappered.com/2011/03/casual-...ure-the-groom/). I've got a few three season suits, mostly in grays, followed by blues.

I've been looking at two from SM. The blue cotton contemporary fit (https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...ntemporary_fit) and the copper linen/silk (https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...ntemporary_fit).

I think I have a slight preference for the blue cotton, but I have long wanted a tan linen like the JCrew Ludlow (https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...sh-linen/25269), which has kept the copper linen/silk on the radar. But I've also looked at SS navy linen option.

I work in a somewhat fusty environment (read: politics), but I don't suffer any consequence for dressing a bit more stylishly than the navy blue/charcoal that's pretty standard among the folks at work.

(Let's not even go into how much I have also begun to lust after the SS navy double-breasted. 5'11" and 178lbs, so I think I will go over to SS and see what it looks like.)

So what say you good gentlemen?

tl:dr—
    Summer suit wanted. Like three or four options. Seeking thoughts.

Linen suits look outstanding.

For about 10 minutes.

Comment

Eh, linen is supposed to wrinkle. That part of linen doesn't bother me. ;-)

Comment

Highly recommend the Spier copper linen suit. This is me a few days ago.

Comment

I love summer suits and have eight, plus a few odd jackets. I used to think that summer suits were all about fabric and color—consequently I have two in cotton twill: one in khaki from J.Crew and one in sand from Bonobos. However, I don’t wear them much anymore because if I want to be comfortable, weave and lining (or lack thereof) are much more important.

The problem is that unlined suits with an open weave are hard to find and tend to be expensive. My favorite is a Suitsupply Jort in an E. Thomas silk blend. The suit drapes beautifully and is comfortable in the hottest weather—but it’s painful to drop a grand on a summer suit. I don’t suggest spending that much, but I do recommend looking for something unlined with an open weave in wool or a silk blend. Cotton suits almost always use a twill weave that doesn’t breathe.

Comment

If you go the SS route, understand that Napoli/Lazio are fully lined (and not very breezy). Havana is the way to go for summer/warm weather linen if you're looking at SuitSupply.

I have the S&M tan cotton and while I haven't even gotten a chance to take it in for tailoring yet, I adore it. You could easily do worse than the blue one, and spend more money doing so.
            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
              Great looking suit but I don't see it fitting in around the D.C. area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                If you go the SS route, understand that Napoli/Lazio are fully lined (and not very breezy). Havana is the way to go for summer/warm weather linen if you're looking at SuitSupply.

I have the S&M tan cotton and while I haven't even gotten a chance to take it in for tailoring yet, I adore it. You could easily do worse than the blue one, and spend more money doing so.
                SS is less for the summer suit and more because they have a really nice navy DB. Pure suit lust and nothing to do with summer. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by theplayerking View Post
                  I love summer suits and have eight, plus a few odd jackets. I used to think that summer suits were all about fabric and color—consequently I have two in cotton twill: one in khaki from J.Crew and one in sand from Bonobos. However, I don’t wear them much anymore because if I want to be comfortable, weave and lining (or lack thereof) are much more important.

The problem is that unlined suits with an open weave are hard to find and tend to be expensive. My favorite is a Suitsupply Jort in an E. Thomas silk blend. The suit drapes beautifully and is comfortable in the hottest weather—but it’s painful to drop a grand on a summer suit. I don’t suggest spending that much, but I do recommend looking for something unlined with an open weave in wool or a silk blend. Cotton suits almost always use a twill weave that doesn’t breathe.
                  That would be painful. But I do agree about the E Thomas fabrics. I have a brown 3piece that's a wool/linen/silk blend that's quite lovely.

Comment

Originally posted by jfo2010 View Post

Yeah, it's great, but I think that you may be right. And it's close to the brown SS I have.

Comment

Originally posted by napaxton View Post
                      SS is less for the summer suit and more because they have a really nice navy DB. Pure suit lust and nothing to do with summer. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by jfo2010 View Post
                        That suit would also look totally different with a crisp white shirt, a solid tie and more formal shoes.
                        Don’t call what your wearing an outfit. Don’t ever say your car is broke.
                        Don’t sing with a fake British accent. Don’t act like your family’s a joke.
                        --Jason Isbell

Comment

Originally posted by BillN View Post
                          That suit would also look totally different with a crisp white shirt, a solid tie and more formal shoes.
                          Navy, charcoal, and the occasional textured/pinstriped variant is nearly ALL that gets worn. Casual fridays means a navy blazer, brass buttons, with charcoal trousers.

I saw a guy in seersucker once. Looked COMPLETELY out of place. I wear SuitSupply linen stuff all the time just to make people turn and stare.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                            This looks incredible. Both the suit and the outfit. Well done sir!

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
                              Navy, charcoal, and the occasional textured/pinstriped variant is nearly ALL that gets worn. Casual fridays means a navy blazer, brass buttons, with charcoal trousers.

I saw a guy in seersucker once. Looked COMPLETELY out of place. I wear SuitSupply linen stuff all the time just to make people turn and stare.
                              It's just discouraging in its boringness. It's why I wear the brown wool/linen—just to mess with people's concepts of what's "good." That said, two southern 20-something women said I looked kinda "hipster" (couldn't tell if they were impressed or not; Southern shade is thrown subtly). I grant that I have a pretty full beard and up to date haircut, but I'm also over 35.

Comment

Working...
                              X