Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natty Shirts: Which Collar Best Spans Business Casual to Formal? Wide or Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natty Shirts: Which Collar Best Spans Business Casual to Formal? Wide or Classic?

I'm ordering from Natty Shirts, and I can't tell if the 'wide' or 'classic' collar would be most appropriate.

I'm looking for a 'standard' collar that doesn't stand out. Similar to whatever collar would likely come on most shirts I buy. I'm 30 years old, living in NYC, and I'll wear these shirts with jeans in a business casual setting as well as with formal suits.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Josh Jacobson View Post
    I'm ordering from Natty Shirts, and I can't tell if the 'wide' or 'classic' collar would be most appropriate.

I'm looking for a 'standard' collar that doesn't stand out. Similar to whatever collar would likely come on most shirts I buy. I'm 30 years old, living in NYC, and I'll wear these shirts with jeans in a business casual setting as well as with formal suits.

Thanks!
    Wide, or what most places call semi-spread, would land in the compromise position. A classic point collar is as a general rule more business-oriented, and tends to look somewhat odder without a tie. It does depend on the length of the points. A short collar is more casual, and if worn open doesn't stand as far away from the neck.

Something of which to be aware is the size of your tie knot. If you favour skinnier ties or narrow knots, the wide collar opening can leave the knot hanging out instead of touching the sides of the collar points. You should not be able to see the portions of the tie wrapping around your neck. On the flip side, a classic point collar can overwhelm a smaller knot, again depending on the length of the collar points. Generally you want to match skinnier ties to shorter collars.

Comment

If these are your only choices then I'll throw in another vote for the wide. I've never seen a classic point collar look good with no tie, and most of the time it doesn't look great with a tie either. I find that a wider spread collar can actually look good without a tie, regardless of what some people say. For example, the shape of Spier & Mackay's "full spread" to me almost echoes a polo shirt collar, so in their more casual fabrics I think it works as a casual shirt. With a tie their full spread looks quite formal as well. Their semi-spread is perhaps the best with a tie, but not so great open collared IMHO. I'm not s huge fan of a button down collar with a tie, but it's certainly a top choice for wearing without a tie.

Comment

Working...
      X