Talk me into (or out of) a SM purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me into (or out of) a SM purchase

Hey guys, I'm considering picking up the Blue & Olive Check sport coat from Spier. I'm just unsure of versatility. I wear a tie most days and a suit 2-4 days of the week mostly depending on what I feel like that morning. I have mid grey, mid blue and navy wool trousers. A decently wide selection of ties, and mostly wear white or light blue shirts.

So, give it to me straight. Would this be a good pickup? Or am I letting the 15% off code cloud my judgment?

It would go well with the mid grey and maybe the mid blue (not 100% on that matching), definitely not the navy. If you have a number of sport coats, it could be a good addition. If you want something to match all 3 colors of trousers, I would look at brown. Spier and Mackay's brown gun club check is one of my favorite sport coats.

Comment

It depends on what other sport coats you have in your wardrobe. I never advocate buying something without knowing where it would fit so this could be an ill-advised purchase. I think some of the other blue options would be a better purchase.

Comment

I too would go with brown over the blue & olive, that is if you already have a navy and textured/patterned gray already (brown herringbone or gun check - both are outstanding). What sport coats do you already own?

Comment

Thanks for the early input. I should have mentioned what I already have. I have their older light blue herringbone, that gets a ton of use. The Benson charcoal number that was featured quite a bit from Nordstrom, and a very casual unlined silk/inen/wool number in a light blue that I use almost exclusively for travel to warmer climates (live in Oho.) I really wanted the brown gun check but it's sold out in my size (40R.) I was afraid the brown herringbone would be less versatile since it appears to be lighter and I already have the one herringbone.

Comment

I can tell you that the brown herringbone is darker in person than the website photo, probably one to two shades.

If it were me, I'd go with the Navy Hopsack over the Olive, but that is also sold out in 40R for both Slim and Contemp fits. The Grey Herringbone and Brown Guncheck are also sold out in 40R, so that leaves the Brown Herringbone or the Bright Blue Hopsack, which is what I would choose next if I was you. In my opinion, both are more versatile and will be less of a headache to match ties and trousers with.

This is more representative of what the brown herringbone looks like in real life:

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
              I can tell you that the brown herringbone is darker in person than the website photo, probably one to two shades.

If it were me, I'd go with the Navy Hopsack over the Olive, but that is also sold out in 40R for both Slim and Contemp fits. The Grey Herringbone and Brown Guncheck are also sold out in 40R, so that leaves the Brown Herringbone or the Bright Blue Hopsack, which is what I would choose next if I was you. In my opinion, both are more versatile and will be less of a headache to match ties and trousers with.
              Thanks for the pic, that's helpful. I love the bright blue hopsack, but it's more than I'm looking to spend at the moment, and I feel it would overlap quite a bit with my mid blue herringbone. I do like that brown herringbone, but again I don't want to be all "Mr. Herringbone" about my sport coats.
              Last edited by Alex.C; June 27, 2017, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Going to hijack this and ask how S&M jackets fit compared to the SS Napoli and Havana cut?

I wear a 40R in Napoli and Havana jackets.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
                  Thanks for the pic, that's helpful. I love the bright blue hopsack, but it's more than I'm looking to spend at the moment, and I feel it would overlap quite a bit with my mid blue herringbone. I do like that brown herringbone, but again I don't want to be all "Mr. Herringbone" about my sport coats.
                  Looking to take advantage of the sale. Trying to choose between the bright blue herringbone and the navy wool/cashmere.

Thoughts on those?

I own the brown herringbone and the blue guncheck. I really like them both.

Comment

Here's another one that I'd buy before the Blue & Olive:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...t___final_sale

If you really like the Blue & Olive, go for it [MENTION=13722]Alex.C[/MENTION]

Originally posted by The_Manscaper View Post
                    Going to hijack this and ask how S&M jackets fit compared to the SS Napoli and Havana cut?

Thanks!
                    Much more similar to the Havana than the Napoli.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Manscaper View Post

Thanks!
                      Depends on the cut (slim vs. contemporary). I find the S&M Slim to be slimmer than my SS Havana.

The S&M slim is the best off-the-rack fit that I've found for my (relatively) broad shoulders and narrow waist.

Comment

Originally posted by iviustang50h View Post
                        Here's another one that I'd buy before the Blue & Olive:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/produ...t___final_sale
                        Yeah, I'm torn on that one as well, it seems it might be a better match to what I already have, no?

Comment

Yeah, I'm torn on that one as well, it seems it might be a better match to what I already have, no?
                          I agree sir. Again though, I am sure either would be a pretty cool addition to your collection.

Comment

You have a pretty good collection, so I say go with whatever speaks to you the most. I like the navy/olive and, based on you having your bases covered, I think it would be a great choice.

Comment

Life's short. If you like it, buy it.

Comment

Working...
                              X